leafylane

Jul 6, 2006
South England
✟15,299.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think that I was given the gift of mercy at my church just over a week ago. Can anyone tell me anything about it and how to go about exercising it? I've only just moved here so I don't know anyone yet who has this gift.

Thanks in advance!

PS if there's a better place for this then please tell me!

leafylane

Jul 6, 2006
South England
✟15,299.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Basically I was praying for a friend of mine who was incredibly upset and I started crying but it was like I was crying because I was experiencing her pain, it was a completely unattached sadness.

It probably would've been better if I'd said that I *think* I've been given the gift of mercy. I'll go change that now... :)

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Basically I was praying for a friend of mine who was incredibly upset and I started crying but it was like I was crying because I was experiencing her pain, it was a completely unattached sadness.

Thank you for sharing this.
This reads like a huge amount of empathy with your friend that enabled you to pray on a deeper level for her.
Your heart cried out to God on her behalf.

That is real 'intercession' and that is a 'prayer' gifting rather than a 'service' gifting.

What is truly important is that God gave what was needed then for you to pray for another from the heart to Him.
This is a God who delights to 'harken' to his people when they pray according to the teaching and compassion shown by His son.
Learning to pray for others is NEVER wasted with God.
You may find the following site a useful place to begin on prayer.
http://www.annunciationtrust.org.uk/approaches/

If you feel you may be being called to demonstarte Gods mercy within a christian setting learn to pray and test this to see if this was a 'what was needed then' or if this is the first of many steps on your journey following Him with a servant heart.

If so then it is something to chat about with your churches leadership. The bible teaches us to 'test' things and God does not mind people testing something to be sure if this was of Him and is good.

Hope that has helped give you something to think and pray about.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Bless you tender heart.

Just get on with life and living and don't worry about any gift at this stage. Often God will give us a gift for the occasion anyway, so don't get too hung up on what gift you may have. What you enjoy doing for God and is useful to others is often a good clue about any gift we may have.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

FenderElctrc

JESUS IS AWESOME!!
Sep 20, 2006
Gotta keep it secret
Visit site
✟17,089.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think that I was given the gift of mercy at my church just over a week ago. Can anyone tell me anything about it and how to go about exercising it? I've only just moved here so I don't know anyone yet who has this gift.

Thanks in advance!

PS if there's a better place for this then please tell me!
It sounds like prayer intercession like what vespasia said. That's an amazing gift to have. However, some people might think you're crazy. lol. Watch this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YDZPF7eOkJo

Upvote 0