Ghosts and spirits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosa Mystica

I'm not like the others.
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,114.00
I was wondering: what is the Catholic position on ghosts and spirits? For instance, if a deceased loved one appears to you, is that really the work of Satan? Is it ever possible for someone who has died to appear to those who continue to live on Earth (I always thought it was impossible)? Any feedback would be great. Thank you.

Markh

Extra Mariam Nulla Salus
Dec 12, 2003
London
Visit site
✟19,044.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm glad you posted this, last Saturday I almost posted something identicle to this-

I'm also wondering how "ghosts" differ from the "apparitions of saints" how can we differentiate and how could speculation about "ghosts" existing be refuted if the saintly apparitions were only based on as much speculation.

Upvote 0

Lady_Firehawk

With new mint flavor crystals!
Mar 20, 2004
Evergreen State College
✟10,685.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
We're doing Hamlet in English class... Hamlet's father claimed to have gotten out of Purgatory long enough to have a chat with his son. The question is of whether the ghost's claim was true, or it was a demonic spirit sent to tempt Hamlet into revenge and thus his own destruction.

Upvote 0

Dominus Fidelis

ScottBot is Stalking Me!
Sep 10, 2003
Florida
✟18,909.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Lady_Firehawk said:
We're doing Hamlet in English class... Hamlet's father claimed to have gotten out of Purgatory long enough to have a chat with his son. The question is of whether the ghost's claim was true, or it was a demonic spirit sent to tempt Hamlet into revenge and thus his own destruction.

Interesting discussion in and of itself!

Upvote 0

Ampmonster

Swords to plowshares
Nov 6, 2003
FL
Visit site
✟3,504.00
Faith
Catholic
i read an angel story here a couple weeks ago. the one about the snowmobiler. and it said that another snowmobiler saw a little girl by the woman who had crashed. everyone was sure it was an angle but at the end of the story it said the angel matched the description of a little girl who had died...
...so who knows

Upvote 0

Michelina

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2003
✟19,733.00
Faith
Catholic
Markh said:
does anyone know the Church's view on ghosts, what they are, where they come from and how they differ from angels and saintly apparitions.

Hi, Mark! There is no specific doctrine on these matters.

Here's an idea for folks to consider: there are dimensions to the created universe that are not visible. The OT speaks of "the heavens" and Talmudic theologians present these as 7 (or 9) separate heavens. If we theorize that these 'zones' or 'dimensions' are co-terminal with the visible universe, it may be that they over-lap and that sometimes, visitors from these other dimensions can appear and/or communicate with ours. This can be by God's will or be diabolical (God's permissive will).

Unfortunately, most people do not have the background in Metaphyics and Cosmology needed for discussion of these realities.

Upvote 0

ZeroTX

Apr 11, 2004
Houston, TEXAS
✟540.00
Faith
Christian
Michelina said:
Hi, Mark! There is no specific doctrine on these matters.

Here's an idea for folks to consider: there are dimensions to the created universe that are not visible. The OT speaks of "the heavens" and Talmudic theologians present these as 7 (or 9) separate heavens. If we theorize that these 'zones' or 'dimensions' are co-terminal with the visible universe, it may be that they over-lap and that sometimes, visitors from these other dimensions can appear and/or communicate with ours. This can be by God's will or be diabolical (God's permissive will).

Unfortunately, most people do not have the background in Metaphyics and Cosmology needed for discussion of these realities.
We are told not to talk to the dead... Not necessarily that it's impossible, but that we shouldn't. Perhaps for our own protection. Maybe they really aren't who we think they are (i.e. demons posing as our loved ones). We are supposed to consult only God, not the dead:

"When they say to you, 'Consult the mediums and the spiritists who whisper and mutter,' should not a people consult their God? Should they consult the dead on behalf of the living?" Isaiah 8:19 (NASB)

"There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. "For whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD; and because of these detestable things the LORD your God will drive them out before you." Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (NASB)

If you see something, that's fine... but I wouldn't take it to be of God... or even of what it appears to be.

-Michael

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
ZeroTX said:
We are told not to talk to the dead... Not necessarily that it's impossible, but that we shouldn't. Perhaps for our own protection. Maybe they really aren't who we think they are (i.e. demons posing as our loved ones). We are supposed to consult only God, not the dead:

"When they say to you, 'Consult the mediums and the spiritists who whisper and mutter,' should not a people consult their God? Should they consult the dead on behalf of the living?" Isaiah 8:19 (NASB)

"There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, one who uses divination, one who practices witchcraft, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who casts a spell, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. "For whoever does these things is detestable to the LORD; and because of these detestable things the LORD your God will drive them out before you." Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (NASB)

If you see something, that's fine... but I wouldn't take it to be of God... or even of what it appears to be.

-Michael

Of course as Catholics, we have a little bit of a different view-- that our souls are not dead and inactive after our body dies-- but that our souls are living and active either in purgatory , heaven or hell-- until they are reunited with our bodies at the end of time.

Upvote 0
ShannonMcMorland said:
Of course as Catholics, we have a little bit of a different view-- that our souls are not dead and inactive after our body dies-- but that our souls are living and active either in purgatory , heaven or hell-- until they are reunited with our bodies at the end of time.

It's still would be something to test ;) The Catholic Church does that now with apparitions

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
bigsierra said:
It's still would be something to test ;) The Catholic Church does that now with apparitions

Oh- undoubtedly!--we are called to test all spirits, right?? But I just wanted to point out that we don't see souls as being "dead"-- but are the Chruch Triumphant (if they are in Heaven) and the Church Suffering (if they are in Purgatory).. and are very much alve in the Mystical Body....

Upvote 0

Michelina

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2003
✟19,733.00
Faith
Catholic
ZeroTX said:

No question, 0TX. But sometimes they communicate to us. It is true that they can be demons or devils. They may also be who they seem to be. Discernment and guidance from a Pastor is needed. And everything should be taken with a grain of salt and within the context of our Faith. There is no need to fear these things nor is there any reason NOT to consider and study these things.

Knowledge of these things can enhance our understanding of God's Creation. Which enlarges our understanding of Him.

ZeroTX said:
If you see something, that's fine... but I wouldn't take it to be of God... or even of what it appears to be. Michael

That's good advice, Tex.

Upvote 0
ShannonMcMorland said:
Oh- undoubtedly!--we are called to test all spirits, right?? But I just wanted to point out that we don't see souls as being "dead"-- but are the Chruch Triumphant (if they are in Heaven) and the Church Suffering (if they are in Purgatory).. and are very much alve in the Mystical Body....

Thanks for expounding on it :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PeterPaul

Feb 17, 2004
✟18,494.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Still, if I went into my apartment, as I will at 1am and saw my grandfather, just sitting there..I would be freaked out. Can you imagine, if he were just staring at the tv? Man, motion picture scary!

What if you heard a voice on the phone that was a dead relative and they asked you to check the children?!

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
PeterPaul said:
Still, if I went into my apartment, as I will at 1am and saw my grandfather, just sitting there..I would be freaked out. Can you imagine, if he were just staring at the tv? Man, motion picture scary!

What if you heard a voice on the phone that was a dead relative and they asked you to check the children?!

Thanks for that imagine as I am alone here all night in my home behind the cemetery with my children!!!!!

Upvote 0

ShannonMcCatholic

I swallowed a bug
Feb 2, 2004
✟30,743.00
Faith
Catholic
PeterPaul said:
LOL! Shannon, or what if you looked out the window and saw a dead relative just staring at you. And then...he or she starts walking to the door...buaaahhaahhaa
Two thumbs up for the sound effects!! Yes--
I'll be sleeping good tonight... if I'm mean and grumpy to everyone tomorrow it'll be your fault!

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
In response to the original post, yes they are very real. Just examine the writings of the Saints and you will find many instances of the deceased in purgatory appearing to them asking for prayers, or visions of hell, or seeing the demons that are all around us constantly, or appearing in dreams. There are so many accounts I cannot even begin to describe them all.

The spiritual realm is a very real world, and even though our earthly eyes cannot perceive it, it most certainly exists.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.