JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I am sure that there is nothing that I can do to save myself. I have done things my way enough to know that my way not only does not work, but usually I make a pretty good mess out of things. Also I have learned that Jesus never fails, and that He is the one that does the work of salvation in my life, though the Holy Spirit.

The problem for me is, getting self out of the way, so that God can do the work that He wants to do in my life. It's hard to die to self, to yield to God, to allow Him to mold me and shape me into the person He wants me to be. Even though in theory, I wholeheartedly want to be the person God wants me to be, and I rejoice in it.

Has anyone else here had a problem yielding to God, to allow Him to do a work in them to transform them into Children of God? Thanks, JohnR7

Christi

Mar 28, 2002
Visit site
✟4,038.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh, yes, and I can't believe no one else has responded yet! I try to butt in all the time to what God wants to do! Daily! Or I just barge ahead with something that sounds good to me, without even consulting Him. I have trouble wanting to rule my life....and everytime I also mess it up. When I let God do His thing, it always works out perfectly. (You'd think I'd learn)

Upvote 0

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Has anyone else here had a problem yielding to God, to allow Him to do a work in them to transform them into Children of God?

Definitely! I think if we are honest this is a feeling shared by most. Christians in general do not act much like Christ. We believe in him and are thankful that he is our Saviour, but find it hard to submit to his ways. But I have found, that I can almost make peace with all my failures, by living one day at a time. I try not to dwell on the problems, and my shortcoming of yesterday. Nor do I look ahead with worry of tomorrow. Instead I struggle with each day as it presents itself... longing for that day when I can finally fell repose in God.

LOVE

Upvote 0
Is it just me or do christians sound, well...............kinda pathetic really. Well maybe that's too strong a word.
So what's with all the self loathing? Does thinking you're not worthy somehow brings you closer to God? :rolleyes: I'm sorry but do you know how stupid that sounds? I mean I know that none of us is perfect, but seriously ppl, some of you just take it a little too seriously. Lighten up. I'm sure God won't mind if you think you are a good worthy person. :)

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TheUnknown,

Working on submitting ourselves 100% is what every Christian should strive for. God's path is the best path. When we try to do our own will is when we run into unneeded burdens. Everytime I subtmit to God and not my sinful self I see the difference, it's obvious the only way to go.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
>>Working on submitting ourselves 100% is what every Christian should strive for. God's path is the best path.

God's way is to die to the flesh and live life in the Spirit. The problem with that is not everyone wants to die to self. They want to eat, drink and be merry, and if we die, we die, at least we had a good time. But really, it seems to me that there is always a price to be paid for sin. Not right way, but like when you borrow money you end up with a lot of debt. You get what you bargan for.

1 Peter 4:1b he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,

We may have to suffer up front, but it is better to get it over with and be done with it, then to put it off and have to suffer even more later on. Better to live right, and live for God, then we have blessing to look forward to.

Upvote 0

Catchup

Feb 20, 2002
Earth bound
Visit site
✟2,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm sure God won't mind if you think you are a good worthy person.

There is nothing within me that is even remotely worthy by God's standards. If there were he would not have had to sacrifice his son. I am a Christian. I have the Spirit of Christ within my soul. Knowing this truth, each day I struggle with sin, to try to live as Jesus instructed. I am not pathetic. I have an abundance of joy. But when questioned about my perfection...I am sadden by my total imperfection. Am I worthy? Not at all. Does God love me? Yes...totally. Will I go to heaven when this life is done? Definitely, because God gave me the way!

LOVE

Upvote 0

Christi

Mar 28, 2002
Visit site
✟4,038.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Unknown, I can't speak for other Christians, but it's not like what you are thinking. No wonder you think we sound pathetic, if you think we have to worry about chocolate and stuff like that. Let me give you an example of what I mean by getting in God's way:
Okay, there is a person in my life that I truly not only can't love, but can't tolerate. I can't. However, God loves her. God wants me to love her. There are times that I react by my feelings. She's a pretty mean person and can push my buttons pretty good. So, I lose my temper, act hateful and say things no one with Christ in their life should say. However, when I get out of His way, and let Him love her through me....well, things stay peaceful. Now I know you are thinking, "Well, that's simply a matter of being nice to people and them being nice back." That's possible. What's not possible is for me to be nice to her in my own strength and power. When any love comes from me to her, trust me, it's not mine, it's His. That's what we are talking about getting out of God's way. He's working in us and all around us, and if we submit our lives to Him, and follow, rather than lead, help rather than hinder, it's for our best. I know that probably sounds hokey to you, it has at times in my past too. It's something I think you can't understand unless you believe, let Him love you, love Him back.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

soulsisterclaire

JESUS DIED FOR YOU & ME
Feb 26, 2002
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,279.00
Originally posted by TheUnknown
Is it just me or do christians sound, well...............kinda pathetic really. Well maybe that's too strong a word.
So what's with all the self loathing? Does thinking you're not worthy somehow brings you closer to God? :rolleyes: I'm sorry but do you know how stupid that sounds? I mean I know that none of us is perfect, but seriously ppl, some of you just take it a little too seriously. Lighten up. I'm sure God won't mind if you think you are a good worthy person. :)

We are not being pathetic, we are trying to be humble.

The fact that God loves me humbles me. I am NOT worthy of His Son's Sacrifice for me. I am a sinner, selfish in every way. Only God can make me perfect through Christ's death and resurrection. He paid for my sins so I wouldn't have to. Of course I am unworthy, but that doesn't mean I am pathetic.

Pride is a sin. Thinking I am a "good worthy person" is pride. This is biblical.

The fact that God loves me even though I am a sinner makes me NOT pathetic.

Upvote 0

soulsisterclaire

JESUS DIED FOR YOU & ME
Feb 26, 2002
Alabama
Visit site
✟1,279.00
Has anyone else here had a problem yielding to God, to allow Him to do a work in them to transform them into Children of God? Thanks, JohnR7

EVERDAY this is a problem for me. It has been since the day I got saved. Before that I didn't care. I lived for myself. Now, the difference is I WANT to live for God, not myself and it is So hard to do it. Arghhhhh! This flesh of mine is so weak! But we were never promised it would be easy or fair.

Matthew 26
41 "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."

I AM NOT WORTHY :bow:

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian

Constantly and continuously!

I'm and independent person, and I constantly struggle with letting God run my life.

I could give you many examples, but it would be too embarassing.

God is training me to let Him be Lord of my life as well as my heart and soul.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.