BubbaJack

Dec 24, 2016
Deep South
✟27,403.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
A German regional court in the city of Wuppertal affirmed a lower court decision last Friday stating that a violent attempt to burn the city's synagogue by three men in 2014 was a justified expression of criticism of Israel’s policies.

Johannes Pinnel, a spokesman for the regional court in Wuppertal, outlined the court’s decision in a statement.
Three German Palestinians sought to torch the Wuppertal synagogue with Molotov cocktails in July, 2014. The local Wuppertal court panel said in its 2015 decision that the three men wanted to draw “attention to the Gaza conflict” with Israel. The court deemed the attack not to be motivated by antisemitism.

German court calls synagogue torching an act to 'criticize Israel'

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I don't think that a crime should be punished more harshly because it was a "hate crime". Also, the molotov cocktails never burned anything except themselves, so I think that probational verdicts were propably justified.

I don't believe for one minute that this was nothing more than a "political protest". Thankfully, the arsonists were not only not the sharpest tools in the shed, but also dead drunk.

Upvote 0

BubbaJack

Dec 24, 2016
Deep South
✟27,403.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I don't think that a crime should be punished more harshly because it was a "hate crime". Also, the molotov cocktails never burned anything except themselves, so I think that probational verdicts were propably justified.

I don't believe for one minute that this was nothing more than a "political protest". Thankfully, the arsonists were not only not the sharpest tools in the shed, but also dead drunk.

I agree; I'm not a fan of hate crime laws, though I understand the reasoning behind them.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I agree; I'm not a fan of hate crime laws, though I understand the reasoning behind them.
I think the south park episode concerning this was very insightfull (if, of course, not linkabale on this site.)

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
No it isn't linkable because its filthy vulgar trash that America seems to able to produce in abundance these days.
South Park is, beneath the vulgarity and crude humor, a very insightfull show with deep understanding and great care for the subject matter. For example, when they made an episode about the tourette syndrome, it was received as very emphatical and offering a varied view of the subject, instead of only showing people screaming obscenities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Relevance? Is either second-degree murder or first-degree murder more acceptable?
It is relevant because you placed a label on each. I ask again and it is a simple question; is one more acceptable than the other?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
So....isn't that still racist?

If we accept their stated motivations, it's anti-Israel, or perhaps anti-Zionist.

I agree with summermadness that an embassy would be a more suitable choice of target if the protest was against Israel rather than 'the Jews'. If the morons had thought about it more carefully, they might have figured that out. But then, people who think about things more carefully don't do moronic things.

• Agree
Reactions: SummerMadness
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,708.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
If we accept their stated motivations, it's anti-Israel, or perhaps anti-Zionist.

I agree with summermadness that an embassy would be a more suitable choice of target if the protest was against Israel rather than 'the Jews'. If the morons had thought about it more carefully, they might have figured that out. But then, people who think about things more carefully don't do moronic things.
They were very drunk, too.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour

My point is the hairsplitting being done with "oh it's not antisemitic, it's anti-Israel" is pointless. Both are in effect racist, one is against an ethnicity, the other is against a nationality.

• Winner
Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,972.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
My point is the hairsplitting being done with "oh it's not antisemitic, it's anti-Israel" is pointless. Both are in effect racist, one is against an ethnicity, the other is against a nationality.

I think that hair is thick enough. Otherwise, being anti-American or anti-German is "in effect racist", and various Jewish anti-occupation groups would be antisemitic.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour