Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Charisma
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The word Charisma (from the Greek word charis) or gift, is often used in this form to describe an ability to charm or influence people.

Charisma has been credited with helping some politicians, especially those with vague platforms and populist ambitions, to achieve electoral success.

The word is also used by certain Christian denominations to indicate that they believe in and practice the spiritual gifts of tongues, prophecy and words of knowledge, as well as other gifts of the Holy Spirit as found in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Andrew

Feb 25, 2002
✟13,840.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The way my Pastor explains it is this: Greek "charis-mata" simply means "grace gifts". All the gifts of God are by grace through faith, whether it is the Holy Spirit, salvation, or tongues.

Charismatics believe that the grace gifts, particularly that of the 9 gifts listed in 1 Cor 13, still operate today.

And if my history is correct, the charismatic move came after the Pentecostal movt. or the Pentecostal movt, prophesied the charismatic movt. am I right?

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
How does a word that applies to all Christians become the label of some?

that's a good question. if you believe the bible is the infaliable word of God, then you must believe in speaking in toungues and other expressive forms of faith generally thought of as Charismatic. From the Christians i've talked to, the word Charismatic also carries a slightly negative weight underlying it, possibly more tied to those loud boistrous preachers you see on TBN all the time, waving there hands in the air yelling "can i get an amen!".

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
4sightsounds said:
Thank you for your answers....

Does the gift of teaching make me any less charismatic as the one who speaks in tongues?

...one last question. What's the difference between Pentacostalism and the Charismatic Movement?

Being Charismatic in the "Biblical" way is belief in the gifts of the Holy Sprit for TODAY! If you believe that speaking in tongues and healing and the gifts of prophey are for today, you could consider yourself Charasmatic.

A Charismatic may have any gift God gives them just like any other believer.

Now the world, and/or Websters dictionary also describe the word Charismatic as "a personal quality of leadership arousing special popular loyalty or enthusiasim." To that definition I would say "NO", you are not less of a good teacher because you do not speak in tongues. The gift of teaching is a gift. . .period. I do believe though that speaking in tongues will have the Spirit bringing more insight to your spirit than if you don't. But that's just my opinion. :)

The difference between the Penticostals and the Charasmatics? I can't really say for sure. Personally I think it's mainly politics. The Penticostals have tended to be "rule" oriented (and that's gleaned from my own background), and the Charasmatic's have tended to be "free for all, lack of discipline and not enough training (that from my background too). I don't know that it's much that way anymore though.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
4sightsounds said:
Thank you for your answers....

Does the gift of teaching make me any less charismatic as the one who speaks in tongues?

...one last question. What's the difference between Pentacostalism and the Charismatic Movement?

The term pentecostal comes from the day of pentecost found in acts chapter 1 and 2. Pentecostals believe that every christian should experience this baptism of the Holy Spirit as a "second work of grace" meaning that it is not automatically received along with salvation. They also teach that the evidence of being baptized in the Holy Spirit is speaking with other tongues. Once a person has been baptized in the Holy Spirit then they also begin to operate in the other gifts of the Holy Spirit.
One key difference between pentecostals and charasmatics historically is this. Pentecostals have a pentecostal doctrine and go to pentecostal churches. Where charismatics can be catholic, baptist,etc.essentially any denomination. The definition I have heard over the years is that a charismatic is someone from a non-pentecostal denomination who operates in the gifts of the spirit.
With the increasing popularity of non-denominational churches, this distinction is beginning to blur somewhat. But the key difference historically has been that charismatics come from any doctrinal backround, where pentecostals have a "pentecostal" doctrine.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
By the way, an interesting bit of knowledge concerning pentecost. Pentecost is so named because it means fifty days after literally. Fifty days after what?
In judaism after passover the jews count fifty days till shavuot which is penecost. they do this to commemorate the giving of the "law" at sinai. It was exactly fifty days following passover that the jews received the ten comamndments and their covenant at Sinai officially.
It is just my opinion, but I think the signifigance of the Holy spirit being given on pentecost was the official ushering in of the new covenant with the word of God being written on our hearts by the Holy Spirit.
Since Jesus was our Passover lamb, and crucified passover week. The parting of the red sea is baptism and the baptism of the holy spirit is our new covenant written on our hearts.

Upvote 0

4sightsounds

Not playing games...
Jan 22, 2003
Harrisburg PA USA
Visit site
✟192.00
Faith
Christian
Yitzchak said:
By the way, an interesting bit of knowledge concerning pentecost. Pentecost is so named because it means fifty days after literally. Fifty days after what?
In judaism after passover the jews count fifty days till shavuot which is penecost. they do this to commemorate the giving of the "law" at sinai. It was exactly fifty days following passover that the jews received the ten comamndments and their covenant at Sinai officially.
It is just my opinion, but I think the signifigance of the Holy spirit being given on pentecost was the official ushering in of the new covenant with the word of God being written on our hearts by the Holy Spirit.
Since Jesus was our Passover lamb, and crucified passover week. The parting of the red sea is baptism and the baptism of the holy spirit is our new covenant written on our hearts.

In other words, it was a one time event that was significant to the history and foundation of Christianity?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
4sightsounds said:
In other words, it was a one time event that was significant to the history and foundation of Christianity?

No, the Baptism of the Holy Spirit with tongues happened other times too. . . that was just the first time. . .and it happend on the Day Of Penticost.

Upvote 0

nami

Aug 25, 2003
✟141.00
Hello, I was at a non-denominational church Sunday where a missionary was speaking at the alter. She was said that she had heard of a man at charismatic church who was deaf/mute. He started to yell during a service he was taken to. He said"you must repent, you are not worshipping God as He would have you. This is evil." This is not word for word but essentially what he said. The missionary said it was a gift from the Holy Spirit who enabled him to speak about the evil of charismatic churches. This woman is a good woman, having healings around the world for people. She loves the Lord and serves Him. Why would this happen? I assume that the charismatic church in question here has been guided by its minister and in the Holy Spirit. Why would the missionary have sincerely bereaved that church for being 'spiritual' and out of God's plan? How can there be such differences?Suggestions appreciated.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
hey nami,
I have been to a lutheran church where a similar thing happened. God spoke through an interpreter, and He was harsh in His words. In front of the whole church, he spoke words to the effect of; "you say you love me, yet you do not live my word. You say you know me, yet you chose to ignore me." So this sort of stuff happens. The members of the church are very passionate and charismatic when they worship, yet after worship, they return to their lives and forget about God. It was evident upon observation of this church that they were being hypocritical as a church. So God spoke to these people, and I only hope they got the message.

In any case, with regards to the Charismatic movement, I don't know much about it, but I want to make clear that many people of all denominations believe in the gifts of the holy spirit. So labeling yourself as "Charasmatic" really is sensless. I'm Catholic and I believe in the gifts of the holy spirit as well, yet I don't call myself Charismatic.

Upvote 0

Follower of Christ too

Apr 8, 2003
Ohio
✟660.00
Faith
Christian
Yitzchak said:
The term pentecostal comes from the day of pentecost found in acts chapter 1 and 2. Pentecostals believe that every christian should experience this baptism of the Holy Spirit as a "second work of grace" meaning that it is not automatically received along with salvation. They also teach that the evidence of being baptized in the Holy Spirit is speaking with other tongues. Once a person has been baptized in the Holy Spirit then they also begin to operate in the other gifts of the Holy Spirit.
One key difference between pentecostals and charasmatics historically is this. Pentecostals have a pentecostal doctrine and go to pentecostal churches. Where charismatics can be catholic, baptist,etc.essentially any denomination. The definition I have heard over the years is that a charismatic is someone from a non-pentecostal denomination who operates in the gifts of the spirit.
With the increasing popularity of non-denominational churches, this distinction is beginning to blur somewhat. But the key difference historically has been that charismatics come from any doctrinal backround, where pentecostals have a "pentecostal" doctrine.
I often wondered this myself. I visit many churches and don't know how to label myself because I've seen so many people who love the Lord in every church I have been to and I feel a unity with all believers...I wonder what I should call myself?? :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.