gracefaith

Faith...Hope...Love
Sep 26, 2004
Visit site
✟13,991.00
Faith
Christian
You were saying in another thread that there only seemed to be like 8 of us who ever respond to anything. It didn't used to be like that, we had quite a community built up at one point and I miss it.

Anyway, back in the good old days, someone suggested that we get a 'Face the board' subforum (where each member would get a thread and take questions from other members) for the Marriage Ministry and being a bunch of party poopers, we all squelched the idea. We DID, however, develop this funny habit of making people 'face the board' against their will by starting a thread in their name (supposedly to ask something important) and then derailing it with personal questions.

That's what this is. Welcome to the Marriage Ministry. :wave:

Now, how long have you been married and how did you meet?

[Redguard et al - feel free to jump in at anytime so I don't look like a complete idiot.]

gengwall

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
MN
✟14,586.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[*gengwall sweats profusely*]

OoooKaaay.

Been married 24 years. We were introduced by a nurse that I worked with and who went to church with my wife (I was not a Christian at the time). Small world - this nurse and I were particularly good friends because as we chatted on her first day of work we discovered that I dated a girl in California during a January term there in college who was her best friend in India where they were both missionary kids.

Anyway, it turns out she introduced us because she thought I was a pretty nice guy (and I think I was) - "not the kind you would get serious with but someone nice to hang out with". She subsequently proclaimed she would kill herself if we got married. 18 months later we hid all death inducing objects in her house and tied the knot.

NEXT!

Upvote 0

gengwall

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
MN
✟14,586.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay, so nurse introduced you...that makes you what? A lab tech? A doctor?
Nursing assistant once upon at time. I'm now a typical sedentary computer data analysis Dilbert type nerd (still working in healthcare though) who also does theater stuff (acting, directing, writing, tech.)

Upvote 0

gengwall

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
MN
✟14,586.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
24 years! That's wonderful! :clap:

How has she enriched your life? How have you enriched hers?
Well, first and foremost it is because of her I became a Christian. She has also been a very patient partner in dealing with me as a man which has helped my development/maturation as a man immensely. Put more bluntly, she has put up with a lot of crap while I figured stuff out.

I would say I have enriched her life by helping her with her self esteem issues and social interactions. I think my perserverance on some child raising issues has enriched her life because it contributed to a better child raising experience for her and a warm relationship with our daughters. And I have dealt calmly and rationally with a number of family issues she has which helped her process and resolve those issues in a healthy way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gengwall

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
MN
✟14,586.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What have you learnt in your 24 years of marriage?

Rs xxx
Oh my - not nearly enough time or space. I will say this. As is testified by my entries on many of the threads in the marriage forums, I have discovered things about marital intimacy (both sexual and non-sexual) that have been mind blowing to me. My parents are a wonderful couple who love each other very much but they never taught me or really modeled for me any of this stuff. Premarital counseling was even more worthless. I went into marriage clueless about physical and emotional needs, love languages, and what God's design for marriage in general was all about. It has been a long journey with many wrong turns but I am finally...both my wife and I are finally...figuring it out.

Upvote 0

gengwall

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
MN
✟14,586.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What did you and your wife do on your first date?
We went out for pizza (my wife and me and the girl who introduced us). I forgot my wallet and had to leave them at the resturaunt for collateral while I went home to get money. :doh: Nice first impression, huh?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We went out for pizza (my wife and me and the girl who introduced us). I forgot my wallet and had to leave them at the resturaunt for collateral while I went home to get money. :doh: Nice first impression, huh?
:D:D:D

How long before you said the big three (I love you)?

Upvote 0

gengwall

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
MN
✟14,586.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:D:D:D

How long before you said the big three (I love you)?
Hmmm - I can't exactly remember but it would have been within the first 6 months because our first date was April Fools Day (it just gets funnier and funnier doesn't it) and we got engaged in October. My guess is that we were at the "three word" stage around July.

Upvote 0

gengwall

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
MN
✟14,586.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'll beat y'all to the punch on one.

My house consists of:

my wife
two daughters ages 21 and 19. The 21 yo is just back from a couple years with Youth With A Mission based out of Adelaid Australia. She is going to go to college now and work toward a degree in youth ministry. (That's the plan today at least). The 19 yo leaves Jan 4th for nasty old Hollywood CA where she will be attending an acting conservatory with hopes of becoming a star. We wish her well since she really owes us big time.
Two female cats (although the number seems to be ever changing)
One female dog
We also had a foreign exchange student from Romania last year - our Hungarian daughter.

You get the drift I'm sure. I am forever surrounded by estrogen. It is quite a burden, I know, but somehow I survive.:swoon:

Upvote 0

joyful11

Veteran
Feb 26, 2006
California
✟17,116.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Way to put you on the spot, huh gengwall? You are a good sport.

I have to say that in the few weeks I've corresponded with gengwall in another thread, his love for the Lord shines through in every post. I am being sharpened because of his wisdom. Just wanted to share since I'm not privileged to give reputation yet. ;)

Upvote 0