✟1,102,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
(CLV) Gn 9:3
Every moving (רמש) animal that s is alive, shall be yours for food; as with the green herbage, I give to you everything.

I'm using a "literal" translation. The word (רמש) was translated as "moving" and the word animal was added in this translation. It is being translated into general terms, to include every moving animal.

How can this be? This would violate very clear instructions throughout the Torah, and seemingly contradict the Prophets.

Some use this verse to say that scripture contradicts itself. I disagree. I suspect that some translators are contradicting scripture.

So what does this word mean?: רמש

Let us start by comparing this rendering, with every other verse in the TaNaK, where this word can be found

(CLV) Gn 1:24
And Elohim said: Let the earth bring forth the living soul, each according to its kind: domestic beast, creeper (רמש) and land animal, each according to its kind. And it came to be so.

Here the same word is being used to make a distinction (for obvious reasons) between the "creeper" (whatever that is) and every other land animal. I suppose that birds and fish don't creep; but this is just a wild guess on my part; but I'm not convinced that "creeper" is the correct definition. I feel confident that the (רמש) is not a domestic animal.

(CLV) Gn 1:25
Elohim made the land animal according to its kind, the domestic beast according to its kind, and every creeper (רמש) of the ground according to its kind. And Elohim saw that it was good.

YHWH repeats that distinction here.

(CLV) Gn 1:26
And Elohim said: Let Us make humanity in Our image and according to Our likeness. Let them hold sway over the fish of the sea and over the flyer of the heavens, over the domestic beast, over every land animal and over every creeper (רמש) that is creeping on the earth.

Here YHWH makes a distinction between the (רמש) and every other land animal, and fish, and birds.

(CLV) Gn 6:7
So Yahweh said: I shall wipe out humanity that I have created, off the surface of the ground, from human unto beast, unto the creeper (רמש) and unto the flyer of the heavens; for I regret that I have made them.

Here YHWH makes a distinction between a beast, a (רמש), and a bird. From this I would gather that a (רמש) is neither a beast, nor a bird.

(CLV) Gn 6:20
Of the flyer according to its kind, of the beast according to its kind, and of every creeper (רמש) of the ground according to its kind, from all shall they come in pairs to you to stay alive.

YHWH repeats the distinction between birds, beasts, and every (רמש) here.

(CLV) Gn 7:14
they and every wild animal according to its kind, and every domestic beast according to its kind, and every creeper (רמש) that was creeping (רמש) on the earth according to its kind, and every flyer according to its kind, every bird, every winged thing.

Here YHWH draws a distinction between every wild animal, every domestic beast, every bird, and every (רמש).

From this I would gather that a (רמש) is not a wild animal, nor a domesticated beast, nor a bird of any kind.

(CLV) Gn 7:23
Thus He had wiped out everyone who had risen on the surface of the ground, from human unto domestic beast, unto the creeper (רמש) and unto the flyer of the heavens; they were wiped off the earth; only Noah remained and those with him in the ark.

Here we see yet another distinction between the (רמש), domestic beasts, and birds.

(CLV) Gn 8:17
Every wild animal that is with you, some of all flesh among the flyer and the domestic beast, also every creeper (רמש) that is creeping (רמש) on the earth, bring them forth with you, so they can swarm in the earth and be fruitful and increase on the earth.

Here we see yet another distinction between every wild animal, every bird, every domesticated beast, and every (רמש).

(CLV) Gn 8:19
Every wild animal, every creeper (רמש) and every flyer, everything moving on the earth, they came forth from the ark by their families.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

(CLV) 1Ki 4:33
He spoke about the trees, from the cedar of the Lebanon unto the hyssop which is coming forth in the sidewall. He spoke about the beast and on the flyer, about the reptile (רמש) and on the fish.

Here this translator rendered (רמש) as "reptile"

Why the change? Are not crocodiles wild animals? Maybe something was lost in the translation. I know that I was.

The CLV prides itself for translating the same word, the same way, throughout their translation.

They failed to meet their own standard.

(CLV) Ps 104:25
This sea, great and wide on all hands; The creeper (רמש) is there, and it is numberless, Animals, both small and great;

So there are (רמש) in the sea too? Here David draws a distinction between the (רמש) and animals.

(CLV) Ps 148:10
Wild animal and every domestic beast, Reptile (רמש) and winged bird,

Here the CLV translates (רמש) as "reptile" again; yet David draws a distinction between the (רמש) and wild animals.

(CLV) Ezk 8:10
So I entered and saw, and behold, every style of reptile (רמש) and abominable beast, and all the idol clods of the house of Israel were delineated on the sidewall all around.

Another distinction between the beast and the (רמש).

(CLV) Ezk 38:20
The fish of the sea, the flyer of the heavens, the wild animal of the field, every creeping (רמש) thing that moves about on the ground and every human who is on the surface of the ground will quake before Me; the mountains will be demolished, the cliffs will fall, and every wall shall fall to the earth.

Here the (רמש) moves on the ground. David mentioned that they are in the sea. So from this I can derive that the (רמש) lives both on land, and in the sea. It would seem that they don't fly.

(CLV) Ho 2:18
I will contract for them a covenant in that day with the animal of the field, And with the fowl of the heavens, And the reptile (רמש) of the ground. I shall also banish bow and sword and battle weapon from the earth, And I will cause them to lie down in serenity.

Here again we see the (רמש) on the ground; but it is not an animal of the field.

I suppose that is limited to creeping.

(CLV) Hab 1:14
You are making humanity like the fish of the sea, Like the moving (רמש) creature with not ruler over it.

Here Habakkuk seems to be using the (רמש) to express a multitude. Reptiles generally aren't known for moving in swarms.

I now have a better idea of what the word רמש doesn't mean; but it's still not completely clear what it does mean.

Let's try this from another angle.

Here is what I get with Google translate:

356949_d43b9838b9b05a902fc3a0159b8a4270.png

Shabbat shalom.

Last edited:

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I just read this today. As I see it, the unclean animals were not intended for food as there were only 2 of each on the ark. If Noah had a feast of pigs, dogs, cats, and squirrel, they would have all gone extinct.

I think I read somewhere that remesh is cattle. Although it is vague isn't it? I really can't see remesh being an insect even if it means insect in modern Hebrew.

The curious thing is that remesh seems to be a verb in Gen 9:3

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The curious thing is that remesh seems to be a verb in Gen 9:3

Every moving (רמש) animal that is alive,

The words "animal" and "is" were added to the text in this translation.

However still, verbs aren't alive.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another thing is that remesh must have lungs. Because they died in the flood. So remesh cannot be an insect, because they are amphibious.

Just a point of consideration. If all of the food source was covered and unattainable to the amphibious insects...they also would have died. They just wouldn't have suffocated by drowning, but starved for lack of food for 6 months. God didn't say that He was going to 'drown' everything, just that all the creatures on the ground would die. That may have been accomplished by drowning of some and starvation of others.

God bless,
Ted

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Another thing is that remesh must have lungs. Because they died in the flood. So remesh cannot be an insect, because they are amphibious.

Insects don't have lungs, yet they can drown. Scripture doesn't say that they are amphibious. There are land insects and aquatic insects, each to their own habitat.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Seems to me the creeping things (insects and the like - micro organisms) were created on the same day as animals but are not animals. Some of the creeping things do indeed turn into flying things but their origin is from creepers.
Definitely not intended for food for us. Some are a nuisance can even be dangerous some not.

We were given dominion over them .... and I do appreciate black flag in that respect ;o)

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
  • Seems to me the creeping things (insects and the like - micro organisms) were created on the same day as animals but are not animals. Some of the creeping things do indeed turn into flying things but their origin is from creepers.
Definitely not intended for food for us. Some are a nuisance can even be dangerous some not.

We were given dominion over them .... and I do appreciate black flag in that respect ;o)

Are crickets not insects?

(CLV) Lv 11:20
Every swarmer of the flyers going on all fours, it is an abomination to you.

(CLV) Lv 11:21
Only this one you may eat of every swarmer of the flyers, the one going on all fours which has shanks above its feet to hop with them on the land.

(CLV) Lv 11:22
These of them may you eat: the locust, all of its kind, the bald locust, all of its kind, the cricket, all of its kind, and the grasshopper, all of its kind.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Every moving (רמש) animal that s is alive, shall be yours for food; as with the green herbage,
I give to you everything.
I'm using a "literal" translation. The word (רמש) was translated as "moving" and the word animal was added in this translation. It is being translated into general terms, to include every moving animal.
How can this be? This would violate
very clear instructions throughout the Torah, and seemingly contradict the Prophets.
Doesn't "I give you everything" make clear what is meant; i.e., everything--plants, animals, etc.

It doesn't contradict Jesus, who "declared all foods 'clean.' " (Mark 7:19)

And it doesn't contradict authoritative NT apostolic teaching of the New Covenant's New Testament (NT),
where no food is unclean, all food is clean (Romans 14:14, Romans 14:20; 1 Corinthians 8:7-8;
1 Timothy 4:3-5).

Is not the issue resolved in the NT?
Or, are you referring to the OT time frame only?
Some use this verse to say that scripture contradicts itself. I disagree. I suspect that some translators are contradicting scripture.

Let us start by comparing this rendering, with every other verse in the TaNaK, where this word can be found

And Elohim said: Let the earth bring forth the living soul, each according to its kind: domestic beast, creeper (רמש) and land animal, each according to its kind. And it came to be so.

Here the same word is being used to make a distinction (for obvious reasons) between the "creeper" (whatever that is) and every other land animal. I suppose that birds and fish don't creep; but this is just a wild guess on my part; but I'm not convinced that "creeper" is the correct definition. I feel confident that the (רמש) is not a domestic animal.

Elohim made the land animal according to its kind, the domestic beast according to its kind, and every creeper (רמש) of the ground according to its kind. And Elohim saw that it was good.

And Elohim said: Let Us make humanity in Our image and according to Our likeness. Let them hold sway over the fish of the sea and over the flyer of the heavens, over the domestic beast, over every land animal and over every creeper (רמש) that is creeping on the earth.

Here YHWH makes a distinction between the (רמש) and every other land animal, and fish, and birds.

So Yahweh said: I shall wipe out humanity that I have created, off the surface of the ground, from human unto beast, unto the creeper (רמש) and unto the flyer of the heavens; for I regret that I have made them.

Here YHWH makes a distinction between a beast, a (רמש), and a bird. From this I would gather that a (רמש) is neither a beast, nor a bird.

Of the flyer according to its kind, of the beast according to its kind, and of every creeper (רמש) of the ground according to its kind, from all shall they come in pairs to you to stay alive.

they and every wild animal according to its kind, and every domestic beast according to its kind, and every creeper (רמש) that was creeping (רמש) on the earth according to its kind, and every flyer according to its kind, every bird, every winged thing.

Here YHWH draws a distinction between every wild animal, every domestic beast, every bird, and every (רמש).

From this I would gather that a (רמש) is not a wild animal, nor a domesticated beast, nor a bird of any kind.

Thus He had wiped out everyone who had risen on the surface of the ground, from human unto domestic beast, unto the creeper (רמש) and unto the flyer of the heavens; they were wiped off the earth; only Noah remained and those with him in the ark.

Here we see yet another distinction between the (רמש), domestic beasts, and birds.

Every wild animal that is with you, some of all flesh among the flyer and the domestic beast, also every creeper (רמש) that is creeping (רמש) on the earth, bring them forth with you, so they can swarm in the earth and be fruitful and increase on the earth.

Here we see yet another distinction between every wild animal, every bird, every domesticated beast, and every (רמש).

Every wild animal, every creeper (רמש) and every flyer, everything moving on the earth, they came forth from the ark by their families.

He spoke about the trees, from the cedar of the Lebanon unto the hyssop which is coming forth in the sidewall. He spoke about the beast and on the flyer, about the reptile (רמש) and on the fish.

Why the change? Are not crocodiles wild animals? Maybe something was lost in the translation. I know that I was.

The CLV prides itself for translating the same word, the same way, throughout their translation.

This sea, great and wide on all hands; The creeper (רמש) is there, and it is numberless, Animals, both small and great;

So there are (רמש) in the sea too? Here David draws a distinction between the (רמש) and animals.

Here the CLV translates (רמש) as "reptile" again; yet David draws a distinction between the (רמש) and wild animals.

So I entered and saw, and behold, every style of reptile (רמש) and abominable beast, and all the idol clods of the house of Israel were delineated on the sidewall all around.

The fish of the sea, the flyer of the heavens, the wild animal of the field, every creeping (רמש) thing that moves about on the ground and every human who is on the surface of the ground will quake before Me; the mountains will be demolished, the cliffs will fall, and every wall shall fall to the earth.

Here the (רמש) moves on the ground. David mentioned that they are in the sea. So from this I can derive that the (רמש) lives both on land, and in the sea. It would seem that they don't fly.

I will contract for them a covenant in that day with the animal of the field, And with the fowl of the heavens, And the reptile (רמש) of the ground. I shall also banish bow and sword and battle weapon from the earth, And I will cause them to lie down in serenity.

Here again we see the (רמש) on the ground; but it is not an animal of the field.

You are making humanity like the fish of the sea, Like the moving (רמש) creature with not ruler over it.

Here Habakkuk seems to be using the (רמש) to express a multitude. Reptiles generally aren't known for moving in swarms.

I now have a better idea of what the word רמש doesn't mean; but it's still not completely clear what it does mean.

Shabbat shalom.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't look up all the verses but in Gen 1:24 the word which is translated "creeper" in the 225 BC LXX is ἑρπετὰ / herpeta from which we get herpetology the study of reptiles
LXX Gen 1:24 Καὶ εἶπεν ὁ θεός Ἐξαγαγέτω ἡ γῆ ψυχὴν ζῶσαν κατὰ γένος, τετράποδα καὶ ἑρπετὰ καὶ θηρία τῆς γῆς κατὰ γένος. καὶ ἐγένετο οὕτως. 335 for​

• Useful
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Clare, we are talking about Genesis 9:3. The issue is pertaining to what "remesh" is. It appears to be a certain category of animal. As I mentioned above, Noah took only 2 of each unclean animal on the ark. Yet he took 7(or seven pairs) of the clean animals and birds. If Noah and his family ate even ONE of the unclean animals, they would have immediately gone extinct.

• Useful
Reactions: HARK!
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Doesn't "I give you everything" make clear what is meant; i.e., everything--plants, animals, etc.

Etc, as in lead, uranium, plutonium, dung, arsenic, rotting carcasses, tar, etc.?

It doesn't contradict Jesus, who "declared all foods 'clean.' " (Mark 7:19)

This verse is in reference to eating bread before washing one's hands, which is a man made law.

The operative word here is food. YHWH defined food in his word.

YHWH doesn't change.

(CLV) Mal 3:6
For I, Yahweh, do not alter; and you, sons of Jacob, are not consumed.

Neither does his word.

(CLV) Hb 13:8
Jesus Christ, yesterday and today, is the Same One for the eons also.

Now back to the topic of this thread.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Every moving (רמש) animal that s is alive, shall be yours for food; as with the green herbage, I give to you everything.

How can this be? This would violate very clear instructions throughout the Torah, and seemingly contradict the Prophets.

Shabbat shalom.

The meaning of the passage is that all things were given as food. The dietary restrictions of the law came much later and only ever applied to Jews. Even the most observant Jewish rabbi will tell you that gentiles have always been allowed to eat anything they want.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Etc, as in lead, uranium, plutonium, dung, arsenic, rotting carcasses, tar, etc.?
Yuck!
Do they live and move (Genesis 9:3)?
This verse is in reference to eating bread before washing one's hands, which is a man made law.
Help me out here.
I'm not understanding how that changes the principle stated "All food is 'clean.' "

And Romans 14:14, Romans 14:20; 1 Corinthians 8:7-8; 1 Timothy 4:3-5?
The operative word here is food. YHWH defined food in his word.
But did he not define food in Genesis 9:3 as "all things that live and move," in addition to "green plants,
I now give you everything"?
YHWH doesn't change.
Would that be any different than the change in the NT of the sacrificial laws, the defilings (menstruation, marital sexual intercourse, childbirth, all bodily discharges, etc.), and the cleansings (Ephesians 2:15)?

He does change things, right?
(CLV) Mal 3:6
For I, Yahweh, do not alter; and you, sons of Jacob, are not consumed.

Neither does his word.

(CLV) Hb 13:8
Jesus Christ, yesterday and today, is the Same One for the eons also.

Now back to the topic of this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are crickets not insects?

(CLV) Lv 11:20
Every swarmer of the flyers going on all fours, it is an abomination to you.

(CLV) Lv 11:21
Only this one you may eat of every swarmer of the flyers, the one going on all fours which has shanks above its feet to hop with them on the land.

(CLV) Lv 11:22
These of them may you eat: the locust, all of its kind, the bald locust, all of its kind, the cricket, all of its kind, and the grasshopper, all of its kind.

of course then there is this .... which is pretty broad

Genesis 9:3
Berean Study Bible
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you; just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you all things.

but then in Leviticus gives some parameters in regard to that as well.

I don't knowingly plan on eating any bugs. Likely more bugs in our food than we would like to think LOL

I don't think what we eat is a sin message .... but rather a health message.

Who knows? Guess one's conscience is their guide.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Berean Study Bible
Everything that lives and moves will be food for you; just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you all things.

I don't knowingly plan on eating any bugs. Likely more bugs in our food than we would like to think LOL
Actually, the NT reveals that it is neither.
The "ceremonial law" of defilements and cleansings was given to reveal sin (Romans 3:20, Romans 7:7), to figuratively teach the meaning of sin as spiritual defilement, and the need of its cleansing to be acceptable to God.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I didn't look up all the verses but in Gen 1:24 the word which is translated "creeper" in the 225 BC LXX is ἑρπετὰ / herpeta from which we get herpetology the study of reptiles
LXX Gen 1:24 Καὶ εἶπεν ὁ θεός Ἐξαγαγέτω ἡ γῆ ψυχὴν ζῶσαν κατὰ γένος, τετράποδα καὶ ἑρπετὰ καὶ θηρία τῆς γῆς κατὰ γένος. καὶ ἐγένετο οὕτως. 335 for​

Here is what I get:

Gen 1:24 ερπετά
Gen 1:25 ερπετά
Gen 1:26 ερπετών
Gen 6:7 ερπετών
Gen 6:20 ερπετών
Gen 7:14 ερπετόν
Gen 8:17 ερπετόν
Gen 8:19 ερπετόν
Gen 9:3 ερπετόν
1 Ki 4:33 ερπετών
Ps 104:25 ερπετά
Ps 148:10 ερπετά
Ezk 8:10 ερπετού
Ezk 38:20 ερπετά
Ho 2:18 ερπετών
Hab 1:14 ερπετά

However, the original LXX consisted only of the Torah. The Prophets and Writings were added later. This may or may not be relevant to this discussion. The way that the Masoretic Text has variants, and the way that it has been translated opens up the door to many questions.

Yahshua and the apostles quoted the LXX more often than the MT.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Berean Study Bible

Did you read the OP?

It has already been established that this is a faulty translation. I can go replacing the words to make the Bible support any sort of Pagan abomination.

Thou shalt not!

Upvote 0