Virginia1981

Nov 23, 2016
Warsaw NY
✟7,843.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Ok I just started reading the bible. I've been lost from God and I'm trying to find my way back. I'm reading a bible my pastor gave to me called the voice. And in Genesis chapter 3 verse 22 it says, "Look, the human has become like one of Us, possessing the knowledge of good and evil, if we don't do something he will reach out his hand and take some of the fruit from the tree of life, eat it, and live forever." Now I don't understand why he keeps saying Us or look as if he's talking to someone or like there are others there besides himself and Adam and Eve. Now I truly believe there is only one God, and Jesus Christ wasn't even a thought yet as far as I know. So why? Why is he talking like that?

Reactions: YouAreAwesome

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok I just started reading the bible. I've been lost from God and I'm trying to find my way back. I'm reading a bible my pastor gave to me called the voice. And in Genesis chapter 3 verse 22 it says, "Look, the human has become like one of Us, possessing the knowledge of good and evil, if we don't do something he will reach out his hand and take some of the fruit from the tree of life, eat it, and live forever." Now I don't understand why he keeps saying Us or look as if he's talking to someone or like there are others there besides himself and Adam and Eve. Now I truly believe there is only one God, and Jesus Christ wasn't even a thought yet as far as I know. So why? Why is he talking like that?
Nobody is 100% certain... I think it is most likely that He is speaking to the heavenly host, the angels who had not fallen.

To throw out a little caveat for you to consider... Jesus was more than just a thought. Look at Revelation 13:8 for one example... there are many... like 100 or more. :) Blessings.

Reactions: Virginia1981
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oh ok that would make sense if he's speaking to the heavenly host. What do you mean Caveat? I've never heard that word before.
Sorry, I probably could have chosen a better word. In this case, caveat means a modifying detail... in this case, the Son... at least in the mind of God, had been slain from the foundation of the world (as per the verse I shared in my last post). God knew what would happen before He created anything as He exists outside of time. So I gave that one verse but like I said, there are many. Malachi 5:2 comes to mind, Isaiah 9:6, there are many. Blessings. :)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No worries in that regard (yelling) ALL CAPITALS IS NOT ALWAYS YELLING , NO< not at all.
Your faith label says "Methodist" ,
which is a long time stable (I thought) Christian denomination based on faith in Jesus , and it seems very unusual to meet a Methodist who doesn't know or realize that Jesus has been eternally with the Father.
There
are some cults that deny Jesus, but I don't know which ones they are (they are on the forum though, now and then).

How am I supposed to know he was there?

Upvote 0

Dwells

Nov 13, 2016
canada
✟24,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
When I read the Old Testament and I have questions, I like to seek an explanation from a Jewish site, such as Aish.com or Myjewishlearning.com.
After all the OT was/is originally written for Jewish teaching and learning. I tend to believe He was talking to the heavenly host since they would not have been referring to the trinity within a Jewish book.
Also you will find Genesis is not all literal but also allegory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Virginia1981

Nov 23, 2016
Warsaw NY
✟7,843.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I wasn't born Methodist. I was born Catholic but my family didn't do church but for most of my young I felt something calling me. I went to so many different churches all Catholic until I was about 23 a friend invited me to a Methodist church. The second I entered I knew it was right where so many had been wrong. I went every Sunday for 2 years I finally decided to dedicate my life to Jesus so I was baptized. But before I could even start the next day my brother committed suicide and I dropped out of church. I was lost completely. Now after ten years I realize I need to try and find my way back to God.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't born Methodist. I was born Catholic but my family didn't do church but for most of my young I felt something calling me. I went to so many different churches all Catholic until I was about 23 a friend invited me to a Methodist church. The second I entered I knew it was right where so many had been wrong. I went every Sunday for 2 years I finally decided to dedicate my life to Jesus so I was baptized. But before I could even start the next day my brother committed suicide and I dropped out of church. I was lost completely. Now after ten years I realize I need to try and find my way back to God.
Wow, sorry for your loss, tragic. I don't even know how that would feel, and I am so sorry for you to have to figure that out. I feel much compassion for you and what you had to deal with.

I must say, reading the Bible from the beginning may be good for a while but then you may find it difficult to continue because it's like reading a maths textbook! Pretty difficult to continue through at points. Especially because it isn't chronological. It's not organised in a way that makes sense to a new reader. Some prophecies about the future are about things that are earlier in the book! My encouragement to you is to try reading the letters of Paul first: For example Romans, 1st and 2nd Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Phillipians, Colossians, 1st and 2nd Timothy etc. These letters explain what Jesus accomplished. Alternatively you could read one of the Gospels (John is my favourite by far). So maybe when you finish Genesis you could move on to one of them if you start getting bored with Exodus.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Set aside the book that your Pastor gave you "The Voice." Get yourself an Holy Bible. A King James version preferably. Go to the Gospel of John. Start with the first chapter and verse one. Read verses 1-5. In every place where you find the word, "Word," substitute the word "Jesus." Then you will have it right. There are places in our Bibles where Jesus is referred to as "the Word." That is the reason that I ask you to make the substation. And this is the "us" that God is speaking to.
I hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Dwells

Nov 13, 2016
canada
✟24,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Wow, sorry for your loss, tragic. I don't even know how that would feel, and I am so sorry for you to have to figure that out. I feel much compassion for you and what you had to deal with.

I must say, reading the Bible from the beginning may be good for a while but then you may find it difficult to continue because it's like reading a maths textbook! Pretty difficult to continue through at points. Especially because it isn't chronological. It's not organised in a way that makes sense to a new reader. Some prophecies about the future are about things that are earlier in the book! My encouragement to you is to try reading the letters of Paul first: For example Romans, 1st and 2nd Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Phillipians, Colossians, 1st and 2nd Timothy etc. These letters explain what Jesus accomplished. Alternatively you could read one of the Gospels (John is my favourite by far). So maybe when you finish Genesis you could move on to one of them if you start getting bored with Exodus.
Many modern scholars agree that Ephesians, Colossians 2, 2 Thessalonians are probably not written by Paul and certainly not 1-2 Timothy and Titus. (and I realize that that there are some who don't agree with this)
Why should it matter? Well the radical Paul from the 7 authentic letters becomes a deradicalized Paul in the unauthentic letters and becomes sanitized and Romanized. Taking slavery as an example, Paul's radical Christian liberty of slavery is turned into Roman normal slavery within those letters supposedly not written by him.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many modern scholars agree that Ephesians, Colossians 2, 2 Thessalonians are probably not written by Paul and certainly not 1-2 Timothy and Titus. (and I realize that that there are some who don't agree with this)
Why should it matter? Well the radical Paul from the 7 authentic letters becomes a deradicalized Paul in the unauthentic letters and becomes sanitized and Romanized. Taking slavery as an example, Paul's radical Christian liberty of slavery is turned into Roman normal slavery within those letters supposedly not written by him.
Interesting, haven't looked into it. Whoever wrote them, I would still encourage the OP to read these first before attempting to push through the Old Testament books that get a bit dull at times. The New Testament books explaining what Jesus did for us are most beneficial.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoodFruit

Nov 22, 2016
Oregon
✟16,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi Virginia, I don't know what "Bible" your past gave you, but you should throw it out and get a KJV. All other modern Bible versions other than the King James Version are corrupted by the satanic elite who run this world.

Compare what yours says and then compare the real true inspired words of God in the KJV:
Genesis 3:22 King James Version (KJV)
22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Also I should warn you that we are living in the last days, potentially only 1-2 decades from the second coming of Christ, and this view is held by many who are studied and aware of current world events.
That being said, if your pastor is giving you material that leads you away from the true words of God, he is gathering figs of thistles and not grapes of thorns, he is a false teacher. Leave that Church, buy a KJV Bible and study at home in the presence of God.

Upvote 0

YouAreAwesome

☝✌
Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Virginia, I don't know what "Bible" your past gave you, but you should throw it out and get a KJV. All other modern Bible versions other than the King James Version are corrupted by the satanic elite who run this world.

Compare what yours says and then compare the real true inspired words of God in the KJV:
Genesis 3:22 King James Version (KJV)
22 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

Also I should warn you that we are living in the last days, potentially only 1-2 decades from the second coming of Christ, and this view is held by many who are studied and aware of current world events.
That being said, if your pastor is giving you material that leads you away from the true words of God, he is gathering figs of thistles and not grapes of thorns, he is a false teacher. Leave that Church, buy a KJV Bible and study at home in the presence of God.
These things are for another thread. I suggest using the MESSAGE bible. Very easy to read.

Upvote 0