yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
How does this verse apply to our lives in the here and now? Does God really restrain people but taking away our free will or was this only something done in biblical days?
Would you post the full verse, in context, of your translation ?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How does this verse apply to our lives in the here and now? Does God really restrain people but taking away our free will or was this only something done in biblical days?

Doesn't seem to be a violation of free will to me ... more so ... God revealed that the woman was married (something Abimelech did not know (that's how he was kept innocent). After he was aware of the truth he made the right decision.

Applying this to our daily lives would be when the Lord makes something known to you, respond according to His teachings ... do the right thing.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I remember correctly, Abimelech took a lady who was a married woman. But God knew Abimelech would never do this knowingly; so the LORD kept him from consummating with her.

So, if God kept him from doing what God knew he would not want to do, this would not be violating his free will . . . since it would not be Abimelech's free will choice to take another man's wife.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 20:6 Then God said to him in the dream, "Yes, I know that in the integrity of your heart you have done this, and I also kept you from sinning against Me; therefore I did not let you touch her.

I suspect that God still actively does this at times, certainly. I think your question though stems from perhaps a misunderstanding of "I did not let you touch her". As in that God somehow intervened against Abimelech's free will. I think it more likely that through circumstance that God protected Abimelech from sinning.

It would be more akin to God intervening and changing a street light to red, so as to prevent you from making it through the intersection because had you made it through it would have resulted in you getting in a car wreck.

God loves us, is intentional with us, and certainly at times is protecting us.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It applies along with "..you shall not commit adultery." Elsewhere in the Bible it states that even ungodly men have the law written on their hearts. So that law is what prevented the man from having his way with that woman. It's God's law so He is quite right in saying "I have kept you from.."

Upvote 0