Genesis 2:22-25 ~ How do YOU interpret this?

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wrote and asked who you think God is talking to in Genesis 1:26 and Genesis 11:7, but I don't see my post now. The words "our" and "us" are used in these verses. If one member of the Trinity isn't speaking to another member(s) of the Trinity, what is the correct explanation? Man was only made in the image of God, not angels, or anyone else in heaven. Now I see the original post has come up, but I like this one as well.

• Agree
Reactions: Pilgrim
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Actually the Bible does portray the Spirit as a person, not as the "force" or energy of God. Electricity is a force or energy, yet one can not "grieve" energy, as the HS is grieved in Ephesians 4:30. Electricity doesn't have a will of it's own, yet the HS has a will, never in contrast to the will of Jesus or the will of the Father.
In John 15:26 Jesus gives the HS the personal (personality) pronoun "he".
The following link will give you various articles on the personality of the HS.
personality+of+the+holy+spirit - Bing

I agree that the HS is given personality traits, however it is conspicuously absent from many of the greetings to the churches whereas God the Father and Jesus are. As the primary spiritual force working within the early church one would think 'he' would be acknowledged as person in these greetings. Also, even though referred to by the masculine pronoun the Holy Spirit is neuter grammatically.

Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree that the HS is given personality traits, however it is conspicuously absent from many of the greetings to the churches whereas God the Father and Jesus are. As the primary spiritual force working within the early church one would think 'he' would be acknowledged as person in these greetings. Also, even though referred to by the masculine pronoun the Holy Spirit is neuter grammatically.

Your response does not negate the personality of the Holy Spirit. That the HS is not always mentioned is not a good argument against either the Trinity, the personality of the HS, or the existence of the HS as one can read using the following link.
As regards to what "one would think" see Isaiah 55:8-9.
The Missing Holy Spirit: Bad Arguments against the Personhood of the Holy Spirit #4 » THE RELIGIOUS RESEARCHER

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your response does not negate the personality of the Holy Spirit. That the HS is not always mentioned is not a good argument against either the Trinity, the personality of the HS, or the existence of the HS as one can read using the following link.
As regards to what "one would think" see Isaiah 55:8-9.
The Missing Holy Spirit: Bad Arguments against the Personhood of the Holy Spirit #4 » THE RELIGIOUS RESEARCHER

From the link.

“Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who are elect exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood: May grace and peace be multiplied to you” (1 Peter 1:1-2 ESV).

Here the Father, the Spirit, and Jesus Christ are all mentioned together in the salutation.

This is bad rebuttal. None of the principles sends personal greetings to the churches as in the other letters, wherein the 'person' of the HS is conspicuously absent. They are mentioned here in another context altogether.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟342,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From the link.

“Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who are elect exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in the sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and for sprinkling with his blood: May grace and peace be multiplied to you” (1 Peter 1:1-2 ESV).

Here the Father, the Spirit, and Jesus Christ are all mentioned together in the salutation.

This is bad rebuttal. None of the principles sends personal greetings to the churches as in the other letters, wherein the 'person' of the HS is conspicuously absent. They are mentioned here in another context altogether.
This may indeed be a bad rebuttal as far as a greeting (Sorry about that) but it does include the Spirit, equating His personality as legitimate as that of the Father and Jesus, which was the main point we were addressing.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am just a Christian, and I take that passage quite literally. That is the natural order that God created, and they were naked, innocent and beautiful. They were supposed to live forever. How sad that they fell from His favor.
Yes, you are right indeed; originally God made us naked, innocent and beautiful. After the fall, the whole situation was deeply affected; and now most Christians would say that in public in mixed company at least trunks/bikinis, etc. are expected/advisable.

Upvote 0

Leo_pard_

May 1, 2020
Cleveland
Visit site
✟15,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
God forms and equips men and woman for various tasks, but all these lead to the same goal. Honoring God. man gives life to woman; woman gives life to the world. Each role carries exclusive privileges; there no room for thinking that one sex is superior to the other.

God also gave marriage as a gift to Adam and Eve. they were created perfect for each other. marriage was not just for convenience, nor was it brought about any culture. It was instituted by God and has three basic aspects: (1) the man leaves his parents and, in a public act, promises himself to his wife; (2) the man and woman are joined together by taking responsibility for each other's welfare and by loving the mate above all others; (3) the two become one flesh in the intimacy and commitment of sexual union that is reserved for marriage. Strong marriages include all three of these aspects.

Have you ever noticed how a little child can run naked through a room full of strangers without embarrassment? He is not aware of his nakedness, just as Adam and Eve were not embarrassed in their innocence. But after Adam and Eve have sinned, shame and awkwardness followed, creating barriers in marriage. Ideally a husband and wife have no barriers, feeling no embarrassment in exposing themselves to each other or to God. But, like Adam and Eve (3:7), we put on fig leaves (barriers) because we have areas we don't want our spouse, or God to know about. Then we hide, just as Adam and Eve hid from God. In marriage lack of spiritual, emotional, and intellectual intimacy usually precedes a breakdown of physical intimacy. In the same way, when we fail to expose our secret thought to God, we break lines of communication with him.

Upvote 0