British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
or some don't understand what a generational curse is and is making it out to be something it is not.

Well I am not sure about that but to reply to Elijah's post I would say that unforgiveness in a person is their own sin problem not a curse from the past. And of course harboured resentment and unforgiveness is a huge stumbling block to forgiveness and liberty in Christ. In fact when I was seeking to draw back to God after treating Him with some indifference for about 4 years He had to show me the depth of my hatred toward my father for the abuse I had experienced. The Spirit reavealed it to me in a dream (night mare) up until that point I had dealt with it by burying my emotions and actually felt indifference toward my father I thought. It was a complete SHOCK to me. I always said I didn't hate him just did care about him one way or the other. So until I could get rid of that block of unforgiveness and bitter murderous hatred I couldn't move forward with God. And yes I had to forgive him. God even lead me to write to him and tell him what God was doing in my life. gg

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟33,596.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Well I am not sure about that but to reply to Elijah's post I would say that unforgiveness in a person is their own sin problem not a curse from the past. And of course harboured resentment and unforgiveness is a huge stumbling block to forgiveness and liberty in Christ. In fact when I was seeking to draw back to God after treating Him with some indifference for about 4 years He had to show me the depth of my hatred toward my father for the abuse I had experienced. The Spirit reavealed it to me in a dream (night mare) up until that point I had dealt with it by burying my emotions and actually felt indifference toward my father I thought. It was a complete SHOCK to me. I always said I didn't hate him just did care about him one way or the other. So until I could get rid of that block of unforgiveness and bitter murderous hatred I couldn't move forward with God. And yes I had to forgive him. God even lead me to write to him and tell him what God was doing in my life. gg

Great courage GG.

I myself held a grudge and hate for a person for 30 years, and the Lord kept on asking me if I had forgiven him, and I continually said: "YES!"

Then one day HE said to me: "Do you love him?"

Four weeks later HE asked me if I had forgiven him, and I said "YES", and HE then said: "Do you love him?" And this time I said "YES", and this great release came over me.

We can forgiven, but most of all we must also LOVE.

Many times when we felt as though we weren't forgiven, because we hadn't forgiven ourself nor love ourself.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

~RENEE~

Legend
Jan 21, 2005
home
✟36,026.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A generational curse is simply an open door where the devil can get a foothold into. A foothold could be in many forms.
my recent studies in school were on this very subject. This is an excerpt from my essay. It is very well misunderstood what a generational curse actually is.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Todays post by FA

There is nothing wrong in the teaching. What's wrong is believing that it teaches that we are not free in Christ. It doesn't teach that! It teaches we must appropriate it! Many believers on salvation do not appropriate all they have been given--this teaching reveals to us that there are some areas in our lives that still have "graveclothes" wrapped around it, and need removing.

No one who first comes to Christ embraces all He has for them--they must be taught. We become disciples and in so doing, we walk with Jesus Christ in a process of sanctification, shedding our shackles and effects of sin.

So FA how can you now state that we are free in Christ BUT.....either we are or we aren't. From your earlier post it sounds like you are saying there is a process we must go through to be free. It can't be both ways.

Sorry you have confusion over this.

It's the same thing as healing. Jesus died and shed His blood for our healing. We get sick...but we must APPROPRIATE our healing. Salvation also is provided for us--we APPROPRIATE it when we believe in Jesus Christ.

Freedom is ours in Christ. No one is born again totally free. Lazarus demonstrates this for us by walking back into life from death while still wrapped up in stinky graveclothes. Every new believer has all Jesus provides but he/she must appropriate it.

Hopefully, with good discipling and obedience to the word, and empowerment by the baptism of the Holy Spirit, a new believer will receive all that Jesus died to give.

None that opposed the idea of generational curses discount the idea that as young believers we need work through some emotional baggage at times. I did with the issues of Child abuse in my own life. But it was not praying for the sins of my father and breaking a generational curse over myself. That never ever came into it. I realize you truely believe this but please just consider for a moment that according it the scriptural documentation from both OT and NT that others here have shown you are perhaps misguided. gg
No, I am not misguided. You cannot ignore that there are millions of people who suffer the troubles associated with those who went before them, and passed on the demonic to their ensuing descendents.

Even those who don't appear to suffer any effects of any generational trouble would do well to renounce them in order to stand one's ground in Christ against the enemy. There are hundreds of generations behind each one of us that we know nothing about which could very well have dabbled in the occult, witchcraft, Freemasonry or committed vile crimes due to demonic infestation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
or some don't understand what a generational curse is and is making it out to be something it is not.

Exactly. Drama llamas.

dramallama-1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private

Its a false teaching that says Jesus death on the cross and subsequent resurrection wasnt enough to set us free or that we are free, but have to jump through some more human constructs to achieve that full freedom.

Not much more to know than that really

Upvote 0

AudioArtist

AudioArtist
Jul 8, 2003
London
✟5,287.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Great courage GG.

I myself held a grudge and hate for a person for 30 years, and the Lord kept on asking me if I had forgiven him, and I continually said: "YES!"

Then one day HE said to me: "Do you love him?"

Four weeks later HE asked me if I had forgiven him, and I said "YES", and HE then said: "Do you love him?" And this time I said "YES", and this great release came over me.

We can forgiven, but most of all we must also LOVE.

Many times when we felt as though we weren't forgiven, because we hadn't forgiven ourself nor love ourself.

Blessings.

Thanks. That's a wise thought, Elijah. :)

Upvote 0

~RENEE~

Legend
Jan 21, 2005
home
✟36,026.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Its a false teaching that says Jesus death on the cross and subsequent resurrection wasnt enough to set us free or that we are free, but have to jump through some more human constructs to achieve that full freedom.

uhhhh NOOOOOOOOO the blood of Jesus is actually a God thing not a man thing.

Reactions: Floatingaxe
Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

What is normally coined as "generational curses" are really hindrances that we harbour. Some have hindrances of the occult from their past lineage, where perhaps some relative had delved into witchcraft, hence the draw toward things of the occult in you. Maybe the goth lifestyle, or spells and crystals are appealing and you can't shake the attraction. That is a hindrance and perhaps, with some prayer and spiritual insight and waiting on the Lord, one can determine that he/she needs to renounce that TIE.

The false aspect to this is your denial that Jesus isn't capable of continually freeing us of bondages and hindrances that we don't know exist.

Jesus jumped through all the hoops for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I was thinking that maybe we are just calling the same experiences by different names but I don't think so now.You are saying I am under bondage and condemnation and have the inability to go forward in God because of my ancestors sin. I am saying that no I am free in Christ and His spirit will lead me into all truth. This may take the form of confronting sin in myself and laying it at the cross. There is no doubt that past drug use, immorality and incest all cause trouble for a person. But just simply praying for a curse to be lifted would not have worked for me. I had to forgive. It would be easy to say oh well it is a curse not my fault I will just say a quick prayer and ta dah all is well. NO it is my sin that is the issue not my fathers. He had to deal with that himself before the Lord. God took a hard line with me I had to forgive and let it go completely 100%. Many in the world would look aghast at that and say BUT He DESERVES to be PUNISHED> well that is true but at that time it was not my job to punish him that was taken out of my hands. gg

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I was thinking that maybe we are just calling the same experiences by different names but I don't think so now.You are saying I am under bondage and condemnation and have the inability to go forward in God because of my ancestors sin. I am saying that no I am free in Christ and His spirit will lead me into all truth. This may take the form of confronting sin in myself and laying it at the cross. There is no doubt that past drug use, immorality and incest all cause trouble for a person. But just simply praying for a curse to be lifted would not have worked for me. I had to forgive. It would be easy to say oh well it is a curse not my fault I will just say a quick prayer and ta dah all is well. NO it is my sin that is the issue not my fathers. He had to deal with that himself before the Lord. God took a hard line with me I had to forgive and let it go completely 100%. Many in the world would look aghast at that and say BUT He DESERVES to be PUNISHED> well that is true but at that time it was not my job to punish him that was taken out of my hands. gg

Spirit-filled Christians that come from families that suffer with early death by Cancer aren't personally sinning, are they?

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
no one's saying anyting bout condemnation. And no one said someone can't move forward either. Please don't try to pull that. And no one is speaking directly to your case either.

1. Actually people were saying that in earlier posts.
2. I know they aren't but I am speaking for myself as per the definition of generational curses I am a prime candidate. peace gg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~RENEE~

Legend
Jan 21, 2005
home
✟36,026.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually people were saying that in earlier posts. I know they aren't but I am speaking for myself as per the definition of generational curses I am a prime candidate. peace gg
not neccassarily. You see not everything turns opens you up to a curse. But some things do.

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Generational curses are judgments that are passed on to individuals because of sins perpetuated in a family in a number of generations.
I suppose people just are unaware of generational effects upon us.

Cancer, sexual abuse, mental abuse, alcoholism, drug dependency, poverty, mental illness, poor self-esteem, criminality, demon oppression, any lack or oppression or disease---these are only a small number of generational effects upon us all. Turning a blind eye to them rather than taking the time and energy required to defeat them spiritually is LAZINESS.Christians who have been made aware of these very real influences on us are either complacent or lazy or need to be taught again. This sounds pretty judgemental to me sis.There is nothing wrong in the teaching. What's wrong is believing that it teaches that we are not free in Christ. It doesn't teach that! It teaches we must appropriate it! Many (I'd say all) believers, upon salvation, do not appropriate all they have been given--this teaching reveals to us that there are some areas in our lives that still have "graveclothes" wrapped around it, and need removing. We appropriate it by believing the word of God that says we are free from the curse of sin.No one who first comes to Christ embraces all He has for them--they must be taught.We become disciples and in so doing, we walk with Jesus Christ in a process of sanctification, shedding our shackles and effects of sin.](is this what you mean by a generational curse?)
No, I am not misguided. You cannot ignore that there are millions of people who suffer the troubles associated with those who went before them, and passed on the demonic to their ensuing descendents. Yes I can because I do not see it taught in the scriptures. The word clearly states that it is our sin that separates us from God. We have no excuse before God our sin must be repented of. We cannot blame our ancestors. Christ made me free to believe Him or turn away He bought everything for me on the cross.
You state it is like appropriating healing but I disagree as there are clear scriptures that instruct us to pray for healing even giving us an example of how to do it in the church and explaining why we can do this. 1Peter 2:24 I see no such instruction about breaking off generational curses.I cannot think of anything else to say to this issue except that. God’s Word will stand. Peace gg

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Innocent people carry demonic strongholds from childhood, which were obtained because Satan views children as gateways to Christians in the family. We don't have to have committed the sin ourselves to be troubled by the stronghold of the sin committed by our forebears.

We never blame the children or the people to whom these things come.

We do appropriate this freedom as we do our salvation and our healing. We ask for the release, renouncing all ties by the authority given us in Jesus Christ, and believing, we receive it.

It is part of the standard routine of renunciation that believers go through to gain their freedom in Christ. Neil T Anderson discusses it in his books, as do many others who are anointed in the area of deliverance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
C

Child-of-Zion

What I'm reading from many on this thread is this;
If we are saved then we carry zero of the effects of our ancestors sinful habits which opened the door to demonic curses and oppression (I know many people in my life for whom this is not true. One friend in particular who had grandparents who were Freemasons, and she suffered from a host of physical ills because of it. This is a Spirit-filled believer, and when she learned about generational curses she renounced them in Jesus' name and eventually received her healing)

Would it be much of a stretch to also say, along this line of reasoning, that all believers are healed of all physical diseases at the moment of salvation? Or in the majority of cases must they seek the healing of their own volition?

Reactions: gratefulgrace
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.