Visit site
✟1,503,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
+ Does gender have s spiritual significance?
I would say no. Gender ultimately is a reflection of biology; sexual reproduction. And it no more has spiritual significance than any other biological trait.

Socially we "freight" gender in all kinds of ways, but that is at best a massive generalisation, and at worst, profoundly damaging stereotyping.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟163,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God seems to prefer masculine pronouns...
These days you can get gender-inclusive bibles.

Genders come from God in the bible, "male and female he created them." Both genders reflect the image or resemblance of God. There are many good characteristics of men and women around the world, all reflecting his image.

[Gen 1:27 NET] God created humankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them, male and female he created them.

Though gender doesn't seem to be assigned to them being spirit beings, angels are addressed in the masculine in the Bible.

[Heb 1:14 NIV] Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

[Act 10:4 NIV] 4 Cornelius stared at him in fear. "What is it, Lord?" he asked. The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.

• Agree
Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,972.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
+ But what about angels...
Should they all be considered male? Or should gender not be applied to them?

I think God's gender is grammatical, not biological. In a grammatical gender system, nouns are assigned with gender categories that are usually unrelated to their real-world qualities. As far as I can tell, it does not have spiritual significance.

What does have spiritual significance, though, are things like Gen. 1:27 (the image of God is represented in both male and female humans).

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Procretion is a wonderful gift that God gave to His earthly created inhabitants .... angels are a different kind of creation and do not have this capability.

Angels are always portrayed as masculine throughout His Word.

Angels are not human, so we should not assume they live and function in the same way humans do.

Does gender have s spiritual significance?
No .... they are simply different beings than we are.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No female angels are mentioned or alluded to in Scripture. All names of angels mentioned in Scripture are masculine.

I did hear once that all angels are male, but I'm not sure what beyond the above was used to justify it. So while I won't insist upon that, there is no evidence to contradict it.
In the sense that one gender is spiritually better than the other? No.

In the sense that God-given responsibilities exist for male and female humans, and they are not all interchangeable and this intersects with the spiritual realm? Sure.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think God the Father is distinctly masculine. As is the Son. The Holy Spirit is more indistinct. It's been said the the Spirit hovering above the waters in Genesis 1, is symbolic of pregnancy; getting ready to give birth.

While Jesus tells us the angels are neither male or female, the ones the Bible talks about like Michael and Gabriel are distinctly masculine. The angels at the empty tomb are described as male.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Does gender have a spiritual significance?

Hmm. I'm surprised that's your answer.

Why? Gender or biological sex are qualities that don't have spiritual significance. The angels don't have these qualities; though physical creatures do (not all, there are plenty of organisms which are agendered or entirely non-sexual). And as it pertains to human beings, the Apostle St. Paul has made it quite clear "there is neither male nor female" in Christ. In the beginning God made human beings in His image, both male and female; what is of spiritual significance isn't in the expressions of our chromosomes, or our biochemistry, or in our genetics at all. But in that we, being human, bear the Divine Image, created for communion with God, created to bear God's image and likeness to the rest of creation and reciprocally bear creation's praise to the Creator.

N.T. Write describes the Imago Dei as man created as an "angled mirror" reflecting God to the rest of creation, and reflecting the rest of creation back to God; bearing the image of God by caring for creation and bearing worship to God as a rational creature on behalf of creation. Here, the language of "kings and priests" which we see at many points throughout Scripture, is poignant. Human beings were made to "have dominion" but such is a godly dominion of love and service as revealed in Christ; not the reign of terror which we have seen on account of the Fall. The earth is God's, and we were created to care for it and in a priestly way offer up the "sacrifice of praise". Such things will be restored in the Age to Come (and even more greatly than what we behold in Genesis 1-2), for God will at long last make His full habitation with us and we with Him.

To be human is spiritually signficant. But to be male or female, biologically, is just how our human genome is expressed in the function of procreation. As far as the more complicated debates, and hotly controversial subject, of the meaning of gender in present times, that is a topic beyond scope here I think.

But even as God made us in His image, and though that image marred by sin and death and held under the bondage of sin, death, hell, and the devil, has been set free in Christ; so in Christ our maleness and femaleness are of non-importance as it pertains to these things. It is that we are human, and in Christ the image of God is restored to humanity, and the fullness of humanity in Christ is ours by the gift and work and power of God. For having been united to Him, having been made a new creation in Him, by having the promises of God on account of Him, the work began will continue, to conform us to the image of Christ, to be human like Christ, and ultimately share in what that means in the ultimate sense: On the day God makes all things new, the resurrection of the body and the restoration of all things.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

peaceful-forest

Nov 5, 2022
-
✟65,263.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The angels have the masculine pronoun because they were made in His image. God uses the masculine pronoun for himself. Angels weren't designed as sexual beings like we are. Adam has the masculine pronoun because he was made in God's image and he was the first one made of the human race.

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why? Gender or biological sex are qualities that don't have spiritual significance. The angels don't have these qualities; though physical creatures do (not all, there are plenty of organisms which are agendered or entirely non-sexual). And as it pertains to human beings, the Apostle St. Paul has made it quite clear "there is neither male nor female" in Christ. In the beginning God made human beings in His image, both male and female; what is of spiritual significance isn't in the expressions of our chromosomes, or our biochemistry, or in our genetics at all. But in that we, being human, bear the Divine Image, created for communion with God, created to bear God's image and likeness to the rest of creation and reciprocally bear creation's praise to the Creator.

N.T. Write describes the Imago Dei as man created as an "angled mirror" reflecting God to the rest of creation, and reflecting the rest of creation back to God; bearing the image of God by caring for creation and bearing worship to God as a rational creature on behalf of creation. Here, the language of "kings and priests" which we see at many points throughout Scripture, is poignant. Human beings were made to "have dominion" but such is a godly dominion of love and service as revealed in Christ; not the reign of terror which we have seen on account of the Fall. The earth is God's, and we were created to care for it and in a priestly way offer up the "sacrifice of praise". Such things will be restored in the Age to Come (and even more greatly than what we behold in Genesis 1-2), for God will at long last make His full habitation with us and we with Him.

To be human is spiritually signficant. But to be male or female, biologically, is just how our human genome is expressed in the function of procreation. As far as the more complicated debates, and hotly controversial subject, of the meaning of gender in present times, that is a topic beyond scope here I think.

But even as God made us in His image, and though that image marred by sin and death and held under the bondage of sin, death, hell, and the devil, has been set free in Christ; so in Christ our maleness and femaleness are of non-importance as it pertains to these things. It is that we are human, and in Christ the image of God is restored to humanity, and the fullness of humanity in Christ is ours by the gift and work and power of God. For having been united to Him, having been made a new creation in Him, by having the promises of God on account of Him, the work began will continue, to conform us to the image of Christ, to be human like Christ, and ultimately share in what that means in the ultimate sense: On the day God makes all things new, the resurrection of the body and the restoration of all things.

-CryptoLutheran

I'm never quite sure how much back and forth is allowed in this forum, so I'm trying to keep things simple, brief, and friendly. I've always gotten the impression you held closely to the Lutheran Confessions. As such I expected you would hold to some form of the order of creation. Maybe I was wrong in that impression.

Even apart from that, there are scriptural passages that utilize the state of being male or female to model relationships between God and the church (e.g. Ephesians 5:25-33). It's all held up as a positive thing, so I'm not sure why anyone would object ... but I'm sure people do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Angels are spiritual beings, not sexual. They do not have a gender.
Mountains, tables and the Moon are not sexual either, and yet they have gender in gendered languages.
Sex and gender are different things. Sex is essential to human nature, gender is not.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟240,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Mountains, tables and the Moon are not sexual either, and yet they have gender in gendered languages.
Sex and gender are different things. Sex is essential to human nature, gender is not.
Forgive me. This is correct.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟140,726.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The Bible isn't 100% clear on the matter. People take, Matthew 22:30 "For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage but are like angels in heaven," to mean that angels have no gender. It could just indicate that they don't get married or have intercourse. Personally, I think angels could have gender. But as spiritually pure beings, they would not have gender bias, treating people differently based on their gender and categorizing the world through a gender lens.

Upvote 0

RevealedTruths

May 28, 2022
London
✟25,199.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God, our Heavenly Father and Creator, is definitely masculine.

As for angels, the Scriptures don't say so explicitly, but there are indications that spiritual beings are also male and female. Genesis 6 (and the Book of Enoch) described angels coming down to Earth, having sex with human women and producing the nephilim. Zechariah 5 mentions winged women (likely female angels). And the demons worshipped as 'gods' by pagan religions are also depicted as having sexual relationships and consorts. There are numerous legends of female demonesses in these cultures (Lilith, Succubus etc.). So it appears that angels are also sexual, male-and-female beings.

The only reason why people like to imagine angels and spiritual beings as some sexless, ethereal ghosts or amorphous plasma is because of gnostic ideas that everything physical is inherently evil. If the spiritual world was really something completely different from our world, and if the spiritual beings really were ethereal ghosts, then this would be an argument in favor of gnostic teachings, ultimately a part of Satan's war on paternal and husbandly love.

Upvote 0