Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you aware that Gatweay is not an accredited institution?

On the Gateway website it says: "A number of the teachers have completed their masters’ program and are working on their doctorate. We have colleges whose entire faculty have a masters degree. They started teaching with a bachelors degree, enrolling each summer in the masters program. Now many of them are enrolled in the doctorate program." But, their listing of faculty and faculty profiles, shows that they have quite a number of faculty members with only their BA or BS degrees, and that almost all of those degrees were earned at Gateway. Unless a college is very new, it is somewhat of a cause for cocern if none of their faculty graduated from that institution. However, it is also a cause for concern is too many of the faculty did. I only noticed one faculty member who did not graduate from Gateway.
These two things do not point to a strong academic institution.

I know you said that you wanted firsthand opinions, but I had never heard of the school so I looked it up, and these are the things that jumped to my attention. I have worked for Christian higher education for 16 years of my professional life, for whatever that's worth.

Upvote 0

Nessie

The Prodigal Daughter
Apr 12, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟1,712.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow... thank you. I looked at the website, but really didn't pay much attention to those details.

So a degree from there really means nothing?

If I may ask, where do you teach? I've been considering Christian college/university, but I'm not really sure of which ones are good and which ones are bad. I've been looking through some websites of various colleges, but the only one I've actually seen that looks good is Abilene Christian University in Texas.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't teach - I've been involved in admissions work.

A degree from an unaccredited institution isn't "nothing" but it can limit what you will be able to do and who will hire you and where you can go on to graduate school. Personally, I feel that a good college education enlarge your world and prepare you to go out into that larger world. A degree that limits you unecessarilly will not do that.

What would you like to study? Are you limited at all by geography? Denominational preferences?

Check out: www.gospelcom.net/naccap This is the National Association of Christian College Admissions Personnel Members are both Christian Liberal arts colleges and Bible colleges. All are accredited by regional accreditation or the AABC. All have agreed to follow specific ethical procedures in their recruitment practices. I'm not saying that there aren't any good colleges who are not members, but this is a very comprehensive group which also offers great college fairs, so most Christian colleges highly value their memberships and want to retain them.

If I can help - let me know what you are looking for in a college.

Upvote 0

Nessie

The Prodigal Daughter
Apr 12, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟1,712.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
bliz said:
I don't teach - I've been involved in admissions work.
Oh, ok. I still appreciate your opinions/advice, though

bliz said:
A degree from an unaccredited institution isn't "nothing" but it can limit what you will be able to do and who will hire you and where you can go on to graduate school. Personally, I feel that a good college education enlarge your world and prepare you to go out into that larger world. A degree that limits you unecessarilly will not do that.
Next to God, education is the most important thing in my life. I see it as a major resource in making the world a better place. However, the social feel of wherever I go must be as good as the academic.

bliz said:
What would you like to study? Are you limited at all by geography? Denominational preferences?
I want to major in American Studies. The history plus culture interests me greatly. However, this major is usually offered only at secular colleges--which I am also considering--so I would be equally happy majoring in youth ministry at a religious school. Maybe a double in political science too... I'm real big on social studies.

bliz said:
Check out: www.gospelcom.net/naccap This is the National Association of Christian College Admissions Personnel Members are both Christian Liberal arts colleges and Bible colleges. All are accredited by regional accreditation or the AABC. All have agreed to follow specific ethical procedures in their recruitment practices. I'm not saying that there aren't any good colleges who are not members, but this is a very comprehensive group which also offers great college fairs, so most Christian colleges highly value their memberships and want to retain them.
I'll check that out... Thanks ;)

bliz said:
If I can help - let me know what you are looking for in a college.
Wherever I go has to be in an urban--or suburban at the least--area. I'm not much for small towns. I have to be around people almost all the time.
Other than that, I'm not very picky. Academics must be held of high importance, but I also want a place where emotional and spiritual growth are of equal/higher importance.
I'm willing to look at every option available... I've been pouring through guides and whatnot.
I've also recently looked at Loyola University... I'm not Catholic, but it looks like a great place.
See, I don't have a set denomination. I am a charismatic modalist, and while Apostolic/UPC is pretty close to what I believe, I don't follow their lifestyle guidelines. I don't believe I have to wear a dress everyday in order for God to accept me, and stuff like that.

Thank you :D

Upvote 0

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The only non-Catholic Christian college that I know of that offers American Studies if Wheaton College, in Chicagoland. It has an excellent reputation - not as well deserved as they like to think but still a very good school.

However, given your interests, I would suggest that you look into the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities www.cccu.org This is an organization of Christian liberal arts colleges. These are some good schools, but the best part is, these member colleges can send students to The AMerican Studies Program in Washington DC. You can spend a semester there in your Jr. or Sr. year taking special classes, living on Capitol Hill and doing an internship. It is a fantastic opportunity!!! I think you can learn more about the program through the cccu website.

I'm sure there are other great choices, but I am very familiar with Geneva College near Pittsburgh. They have a history department with some great profs and a fantastic poli sci prof. Quite a number of their students do the ASP and they have had quite a few go on to law school. The lifestyle and dress code will not be an issue for you.

If I can help as you continue to search for your college, let me know if I can help.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nessie said:
Oh, ok. I still appreciate your opinions/advice, though

I want to major in American Studies. The history plus culture interests me greatly. However, this major is usually offered only at secular colleges--which I am also considering--so I would be equally happy majoring in youth ministry at a religious school. Maybe a double in political science too... I'm real big on social studies.

I'll check that out... Thanks ;)

See, I don't have a set denomination. I am a charismatic modalist, and while Apostolic/UPC is pretty close to what I believe, I don't follow their lifestyle guidelines. I don't believe I have to wear a dress everyday in order for God to accept me, and stuff like that.

Thank you :D

You'll have a tough time getting American Studies at Gateway...their offerings are pretty much limited to ministry preparation.

A couple of red flags here...
1. The first one may or may not be that important to you as a charismatic modalist. Gateway is a UPCI school, and the UPC denominational headquarters are only a few miles from the Gateway campus. While doctrinally you will have no trouble with them, I'm not sure how much effect the UPCI HQ exerts on their closest campus as far as the holiness standards.

2. As others have pointed out, the lack of majors and the lack of accreditation may be a stumbling block down the road. A friend of mine went to Bible college at an apostolic school in Texas, and ended up coming back here (St. Louis) in order to get an accredited youth min. degree in case he decided on seminary later. If that is the case, you might want to investigate St. Louis Christian College as well.

Upvote 0

Nessie

The Prodigal Daughter
Apr 12, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟1,712.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks! Gateway is basically out of the question now. At first it looked good, but now I'm not so sure. I'm still looking around, but if I have to I'll go to any Christian college, and just attend UPC services outside of school. And then there's always the secular college....

Well, I've got one year to decide.... so I'm definitely keeping all options open. But I really do want to go to an accredited college or university, and the national recognition would be good for scholarships... I don't have parents helping out with the financial part.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums