Gary Larson, Beloved Cartoonist of ‘The Far Side’ Publishes First New Comics in 25 Years

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,671,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you ever took pleasure in perusing the funny pages of a newspaper, you may have decided that Gary Larson’s legendary cartoon The Far Side was your favorite.

Over the course of his 15-year career, Larson’s iconic single-panel comics, which featured wacky views of life often through the eyes of animals, were published in more than 1,900 newspapers, forever solidifying him as a beloved addition to the funny pages prior to his retirement in 1995.

Now, Far Side fans are rejoicing after Larson published his first cartoon in 25 years.

Although the artwork is slightly different from the familiar sketch style that Larson used for his newspaper strips, he’s been adding fresh and colorful content to the “New Stuff” section of his website for The Far Side comics.

According to an open letter he published to the site earlier this week, the new content is thanks to the artist’s recent exposure to digital illustration.

“I don’t want to mislead anyone here,” wrote Larson. “This corner of the website … is not a resurrection of The Far Side daily cartoons. (Well, not exactly, anyway—like the proverbial tiger and its stripes, I’m pretty much stuck with my sense of humor. Aren’t we all?)

Continued below
Gary Larson, Beloved Cartoonist of ‘The Far Side’ Publishes First New Comics in 25 Years