traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have some questions and I don't know if this is the best group to ask in CF but hopefully someone might be able to help me. :sorry:

I've been put in charge of watching/watering/maintaining the garden that my aunt and uncle have so lovingly created and watched grow since the springtime. They've gone away for the long weekend and I hope to have everything looking exactly as they left it. The only problem has been that somehow, on my watch, some Miracle-Grow solution somehow found its way into the fish pond and now the fish are happily swimming around in mounds of white froth. :o

Story. of. my. life. :doh:

Amazingly the fish are the least of concern. I need to water these flowers and I've heard there's actually a particular way to water them so they don't get damaged. Wha? :confused:

I've heard they can burn and one can break them. Knowing my luck, I will do both of these things. Can someone please tell me how I will manage to do this so I can avoid it!

Meanwhile I will be outside scooping out bubbles and hopefully not giving mouth-to-mouth on some goldies.

:help:

Llauralin

Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2005
Prizren, Kosova
✟10,831.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Different kinds of gardens have different needs. Like, apparently it's legitimate to occasionally mix iron with the water, and in that case getting it on the leaves causes scorching. And if the weather's pretty warm, it's important that if you *do* get the leaves wet, you thoroughly water the plant, and don't just spray it, or the water will all evaporate, possibly scorching the plant as it does so. Didn't your aunt and uncle leave any instructions?

Upvote 0

canehdianhotstuff

I pour water into acid, I'm crazy like that.
Dec 29, 2003
Pembroke, ON
✟12,820.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
Only water in the mornings, early evening if they need it. Never water flowers directly on the leaves if they are in direct sunlight, it will burn the leaves. Try to always water just at the base of the plant.

The fish will be fine, miracle grow isnt toxic to them unless you dump a lot in, the copper will kill them, right now the excess phosphorus and nitrogen may just cause algae to grow faster.

Upvote 0

traingosorry

Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What kind of flowers are they?

HAHAHA!

Me = :confused:

Pretty ones? I do know there are some roses and hydrangeas. That's all I've got. Totally not a greenthumb girl. Their garden is a mishmash of random flowers. I think they were going for that wild english garden look.

Upvote 0

traingosorry

Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Only water in the mornings, early evening if they need it. Never water flowers directly on the leaves if they are in direct sunlight, it will burn the leaves. Try to always water just at the base of the plant.

The fish will be fine, miracle grow isnt toxic to them unless you dump a lot in, the copper will kill them, right now the excess phosphorus and nitrogen may just cause algae to grow faster.

Thanks so much Shawn, this does make me feel better and help me out. Some of the flowers are hard to get to (spiders and other creepy crawlies have barricaded me out) so I tried to water inside the leaves rather than showering the plants. And I gave them a good soaking, but not to the point of drowning the flower - if that's even possible.

Upvote 0

traingosorry

Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Different kinds of gardens have different needs. Like, apparently it's legitimate to occasionally mix iron with the water, and in that case getting it on the leaves causes scorching. And if the weather's pretty warm, it's important that if you *do* get the leaves wet, you thoroughly water the plant, and don't just spray it, or the water will all evaporate, possibly scorching the plant as it does so. Didn't your aunt and uncle leave any instructions?

No instructions that's why I came here. And thanks to all who have responded, I can totally count on you guys! :kiss:

So I just watered them using the waterhose... and I didn't add anything. So do you suggest I go back out and water the leaves? It's smoking hot out there.

What to do?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Inkachu

Bursting with fruit flavor!
Jan 31, 2008
Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My mom has a huge flower garden, spread all over the yard. If it rains, there's no need to water. If it doesn't rain, give everything a good soak in the evening, using a nice, gentle spray from the hose (think "rainfall" not "firehose" lol). One weekend won't kill anything; you'll be just fine :)

Upvote 0

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Think about this - plants get water from the roots. :) You don't need to water the leaves at all.

My grandmother (who once grew a tree from a stick - SERIOUSLY) told me this a long time ago. She's got the greenest thumb ever.

And I think you're going to do fine. They're lucky you're willing to try and if they were very worried about it they would have left instructions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

welshman

Mar 5, 2008
Wales
✟23,438.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
This.

I had to laugh when I read the O.P :p Made my day! lol I did have some sort of alternative illustration to compare you to but I won't post it because you might go bonkers on me ;)

Hope the flowers are doing okay :thumbsup:

Upvote 0