Visit site
✟878,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not really the premise. It's more like the idea that many of the people who want socialized medicare tend to be the ones who don't take care of themselves, just as those who don't want to work tend to be the ones who favor more taxes on the rich and more welfare programs.

My view on this has changed over time. To me the real issue is that in the US healthcare is tied to employment. If you have a great job you are likely to have great insurance coverage. Or if you have a great job you can afford the cost of private insurance.

If you do not have as great of a job you may have poor insurance or no insurance, or a higher personal share of the cost, higher deductibles, etc.

And if you really have no skills you may be working multiple part time jobs with no benefits at all.

The issue is not primarily those who don't work due to disability, etc. They often can receive benefits and have care. The issue is that many who do work do not have access to care. And then if something does happen they go to the emergency room because they have no other choice, driving up costs for everyone.

If you have a major health event that causes you to lose your job you can lose your coverage when you need it most.

Some jobs have 30 or 60 or 90 day waiting period before health benefits start.

If you have a chronic condition you almost have to work for a company that provides health benefits, because private insurance will be far too expensive. This can limit innovation, business ownership, etc.

We are going to pay for the coverage either way. But it makes more sense to pay it through taxes so that coverage is not tied to employment.

As to the health aspect, even if you maintain your health it may protect you from having to use your coverage, but it won't shield you from the increasing premiums driven in part by other people's choices.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
My view on this has changed over time. To me the real issue is that in the US healthcare is tied to employment.
Purely happenstance. During WWII wages were frozen in the civilian workforce. In order to attract workers in a time of labor shortage employers began to offer medical coverage as an inducement.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So you're argument is that because some people don't take care of themselves those who do yet still get sick should be forced to suffer.

In what way is that a Christian attitude?

So's law doesn't allow you to change what someone says.
Try again, John.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
We are going to pay for the coverage either way. But it makes more sense to pay it through taxes so that coverage is not tied to employment.
Also, the companies that do provide health insurance as a benefit, thus realizing a deduction on their taxes, will no longer be getting these deductions, increasing Federal revenues.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟878,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Purely happenstance. During WWII wages were frozen in the civilian workforce. In order to attract workers in a time of labor shortage employers began to offer medical coverage as an inducement.

Yes, and now it is entrenched. But it has drawbacks.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It's more like the idea that many of the people who want socialized medicare tend to be the ones who don't take care of themselves, just as those who don't want to work tend to be the ones who favor more taxes on the rich and more welfare programs.
Do you have any actual evidence for this assertion? Speaking for myself, I want both of these things, and I take pretty good care of my health and generally enjoy working.

While I'm sure that many people with poor health want "socialized" healthcare (though not all - I've seen plenty of overweight/obese people who are vehemently opposed to it) and many lazy people would like to see the rich taxed more, I don't think that you can characterize the majority of the supporters of those policies as unhealthy or lazy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,550.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
That's not really the premise. It's more like the idea that many of the people who want socialized medicare tend to be the ones who don't take care of themselves, just as those who don't want to work tend to be the ones who favor more taxes on the rich and more welfare programs.
Oh ok. Well that's just nonsense too.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Where is Bernie now?

Approximately 3 hours ago, Bernie was speaking to seniors in Waterloo, Iowa according the the "live video" YouTube notification I received.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums