North Carolina
✟2,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Can Christianity exist without doctrines? Does our history of doctrines control or dictate how one must worship God? If so is there maybe a future Christianity that is based on a yet written doctrine? I guess a new doctrine may bring a new Christian denomination and we have several already. Is belief based on a set of rules? We tend to follow rules that set well with us. I have visited a few different Christian denominations.

“God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”
‭‭John‬ ‭4‬:‭24‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“God is a Spirit (a spiritual Being) and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth (reality).”
‭‭John‬ ‭4‬:‭24‬ ‭AMPC

Reactions: Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Can Christianity exist without doctrines? Does our history of doctrines control or dictate how one must worship God? If so is there maybe a future Christianity that is based on a yet written doctrine? I guess a new doctrine may bring a new Christian denomination and we have several already. Is belief based on a set of rules? We tend to follow rules that set well with us. I have visited a few different Christian denominations.

“God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”

“God is a Spirit (a spiritual Being) and those who worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth (reality).”
Generally speaking (in my experience) even the cults are partly right. Usually, what makes a denomination is some truth that is to some degree neglected (or used wrongly) in most of the rest of them. And usually, that is the thing for which they are known and named.

I say that to point out that there are not really new doctrines, though some have added flavors to them, exaggerated them, or put them to the side.

By the way, no, Christianity cannot exist without doctrines. That's like a person saying that they hate theology, yet they don't realize that they also have a theology. Doctrines can be formal, but they can also be very informal 'philosophies', or, the manner in which, or rules by which to think or to live. Everyone has them.

Our doctrines are always effective in, but not always prescriptive on how we worship God.

Belief is too often based on, or maybe I should say, "founded on", one's worldview. But that is a problem when it comes to doctrines. Two people can use the same word, but they sometimes mean almost the opposite from each other. Christ had some interesting things to say about how not only does what one thinks affect what they say, but the things they say affect how one thinks.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Are you talking about Christian denominations?
Yes, to use the term loosely. Religious, at least, is what I was thinking. However, it might be interesting to consider how the principles might apply even to secular matters.

For an extreme example of the sort of thing I was talking about, Animism considers most (if not all) things to have spirits in them and perhaps even some of them consider inanimate, (rocks, trees, sky), to possess souls. The truth that they exaggerate so, and misapprehend is the "Immanence of God". But the more, ahem, educated, among us, know better than these savages, and think that "the rocks would cry out" is only poetic expression or something, when we really don't know.

Upvote 0

SergiusPaulus

Dec 30, 2023
North Carolina
✟2,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
You used the word Cult. I was exposed to a practice called Shamanism while in college. One of my professors discussed the practice with me. He said he grew up in a Christian church. But his spiritual gifts were criticized in the congregation he was a part of. In his exploration of his spiritual experiences he too was exposed to Shamanism before we met. He taught me how to connect with a spiritual realm. I did not believe him though I tried it and sure enough I had strange experiences. I no longer attempt to practice shamanism but from personal experience I can say it’s real. The experience I was having is called Shamanic Journeying. I only experienced the tip of the iceberg before quitting. As a Christian exploring Shamanism I found a book called Shamanic Christianity. After reading that I felt like it was okay to explore it. There is an organization called Foundation for Shamanic Studies that shares a great deal of info on that cult or practice.

A few scholars suggest that Jesus had Shamanic like abilities.

AI description:
Shamans are typically spiritual practitioners found in various indigenous cultures who are believed to have the ability to communicate with the spirit world, mediate between the spiritual and physical realms, and often serve as healers or guides. Some parallels drawn between Jesus and shamanic figures include aspects like healing, visionary experiences, and a mediator role between the divine and human realms.

Upvote 0

SergiusPaulus

Dec 30, 2023
North Carolina
✟2,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Regarding Stones crying out…

“He replied, I tell you that if these keep silent, the very stones will cry out. [Hab. 2:11.]”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭19‬:‭40‬ ‭AMPC‬‬

One way to look at it is that if the disciples and other believers through the generations did not speak of Jesus and God in general, then something like Biblical Archaeology could prove He existed. Suggesting that the stones would tell us things.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟31,115.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, to use the term loosely. Religious, at least, is what I was thinking. However, it might be interesting to consider how the principles might apply even to secular matters.

For an extreme example of the sort of thing I was talking about, Animism considers most (if not all) things to have spirits in them and perhaps even some of them consider inanimate, (rocks, trees, sky), to possess souls. The truth that they exaggerate so, and misapprehend is the "Immanence of God". But the more, ahem, educated, among us, know better than these savages, and think that "the rocks would cry out" is only poetic expression or something, when we really don't know.
I think I understand, and most denominations believe Jesus but also highlight certain aspects of scripture or recuire like Baptism..... I've never heard of Animism but that's crazy.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Who is in control of doctrine? The Foundational 12 with Jesus Christ of Nazareth as the Chief Cornerstone. Doctrines of men are typically considered false.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

SergiusPaulus

Dec 30, 2023
North Carolina
✟2,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Animism was mentioned. Psalms 91:4 mentions “under his Wings…” we can draw comparison to a bird, like an Eagle. Animals are used several times in scripture. Those who practice animism could relate to those verses. Maybe we can reconcile with animists through compassion and showing them how animals are used in scripture. Like a door opener to conversation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums