Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
the function of the church is:

to preach the gospel of the coming kingdom of God.

to preach that Jesus is the Son of God and the way to salvation.

to provide spiritual food for the members of the church.

to be a light unto the world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is historically a statement of the necessary functions of Christ's church found in Calvin's Commentaries, based on 1 Corinthians 1:2's identification of Corinth as a church:

The worship of one God
The administration of the sacraments
The proclamation and embrace of the Gospel

Upvote 0

Ortho_Cat

Orthodox Christian
Aug 12, 2009
KS
✟21,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So, we have a lot of different faith traditions here, what's everyone's idea of why the Church exists? What is the primary function of the Church?

The church exists solely for the salvation of mankind, there is no other reason.

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Luke 10:30-35 (NKJV)

Then Jesus answered and said: "A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. Likewise a Levite, when he arrived at the place, came and looked, and passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, 'Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you.'"

The inn in this parable demonstrates the primary function of the Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Schroeder

Veteran
Jun 10, 2005
OHIO. home of THE Ohio State Buckeyes
✟11,248.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So, we have a lot of different faith traditions here, what's everyone's idea of why the Church exists? What is the primary function of the Church?
the Church is all those who have placed their faith in the work of Christ. They have then received the SPirit of christ in them which is what makes the Church. theh Church is all believers wi th the Spirit of Christ dwelling in them. its not a established order or denomination. its not a physical entity but a spirtual one. the physical part i suppose is our bodies but we dont take these with us to heaven. The function of the Church is written in 1 john 3-5. Love one another as they self and love thy God with all thy heart.
follow the will of the Father in you. help the orphans and the elder and widows the helpless. church as in buildings or denoms. is just a matter of those of the Church who agree on certain ways of worship coming together to share and grow together. Its not the true Church by any means. We all have different ideas and ways of thinking so we naturally come together to worship together in the same ways. birds of a feather flock together this makes the denominations or churchs.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟830,802.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The church exists solely for the salvation of mankind, there is no other reason.

The Church exists as the hospital to cure the soul of sin.

Luke 10:30-35 (NKJV)

Then Jesus answered and said: "A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. Likewise a Levite, when he arrived at the place, came and looked, and passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, 'Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you.'"

The inn in this parable demonstrates the primary function of the Church.

I was going to say something similar----for the salvation of souls (to make disciples of all nations).

Indeed! Well said all!

The purpose of the Church is to forgive sin, and thereby bring God's children to salvation.

The Church does this through Word and Sacrament.

The Holy Spirit works through the Church to expand God's Kingdom by instilling faith; and through faith, repentance; and through repentance; forgiveness and salvation!

Sola Deo Gloria!

Upvote 0

virgilio

Aug 21, 2011
✟16,451.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,
Every believer is a living temple, in whom the Spirit of God dwell 1 Corinthians 3:16.
It is not enough to see the temple of God, then, singing with grace in your heart and Let the word of the Christ dwell in you richly, in all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another, in psalms, hymns, spiritual songs, singing with in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16

Thanks and God bless.
your brother in Christ.
virgilio

Upvote 0
P

pdehart

The church with all its flaws is still the best and only hope for mankind. It is to the church that Jesus has granted the Gospell, It is to the church Jesus granted the ministry of ambassordship. It is through the church that the Holy Spirit works in the teaching and preaching of the Word. The church is lso the authozied agent of Jesus in the world. I've sat in many bars before I was saved and never once did I see the unconditional Love that abides in the believers. Yes the church has its problems because it is made of flawed people. But don't through the baby out with the bathwater. The church is Gods gift to mankind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

virgilio

Aug 21, 2011
✟16,451.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The church with all its flaws is still the best and only hope for mankind. It is to the church that Jesus has granted the Gospell, It is to the church Jesus granted the ministry of ambassordship. It is through the church that the Holy Spirit works in the teaching and preaching of the Word. The church is lso the authozied agent of Jesus in the world. I've sat in many bars before I was saved and never once did I see the unconditional Love that abides in the believers. Yes the church has its problems because it is made of flawed people. But don't through the baby out with the bathwater. The church is Gods gift to mankind.
Hi pdehart greetings,
The church itself has no flaw but it is the devil had has secretly enter to congregation and which resulting flaw to the church. Isaiah 9:15-16 the ancient and honourable, he is the head; and the prophet that teacheth lies, he is the tail. For the guides of this people mislead [them]; and they that are guided by them are swallowed up.

The unconditional love that abides in believer is a grace from God itself because God is love. God is light and in him there is no darkness.With or with out religious denomination does not count but it is how you love your neighbor
one can fulfill the commandment of God.

Thanks and God bless.
your brother in Christ.
virgilio

Upvote 0

virgilio

Aug 21, 2011
✟16,451.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You do not need clergy or the church to do these things.
Hi ptomwebster greetings,
Agree, but may you please expound that with out church one can worship God, administer the sacrament (?) and proclaim and embrace the gospel.
Thank you for any share you may give.

Thanks and God bless.
your brother in Christ.
virgilio

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The Church here on earth is, if I had to put it in a phrase, Christ's colony of His kingdom here on earth. That is, it is the vanguard and outpost that represents God's Reign. Everything else about the Church I'd argue is subsumed into this. When we proclaim forgiveness of sins, we're proclaiming God's kingdom. When the Church preaches the Word and administers the Sacraments this is the kingdom of God in Word and Sacrament. As the Spirit is poured out, as the Word goes forth, as the Sacraments are received, as the Gospel is preached, as sinners are forgiven, as the poor are taken care of and the hungry are fed here God's kingdom is being administered here on earth, as a vanguard and outpost in anticipation for the fullness of the kingdom that comes at the Lord's Parousia when God wipes away every tear and we no longer know the tools and arts of war.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
S

someguy14

Mark 7:5-9
5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?
6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

Matthew 22:37-40
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

God is the center of the Church. All believers and doers of Gods will are of the Church.

Acts 2:45-47
45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Upvote 0