Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
What does it mean when a Protestant Church is in full Communion with another Church?

In my hometown, an Evangelical Covenant Church pastor is also pastor of a United Methodist Church-Presbyterian Church (USA) merged-congregation.

It is my understanding the ELCA is in full Communion with the Episcopal Church, the ELCA is also in full communion with the Reformed Church of America, UCC, PCUSA, among others.

Does it mean they share sacraments? Ministers?

God bless

Last edited:

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Here's a good definition, from the ELCA website (Full Communion Partners):

Full communion is when two denominations develop a relationship based on a common confessing of the Christian faith and a mutual recognition of Baptism and sharing of the Lord’s Supper. This does not mean the two denominations merge; rather, in reaching agreements, denominations also respect differences. These denominations worship together, may exchange clergy and also share a commitment to evangelism, witness and service in the world. Each entity agrees that even with differences, there is nothing that is church-dividing.

A much lengthier description of the agreement between the ELCA and TEC is here: Agreement of Full Communion - Called to Common Mission – The Episcopal Church

What I've seen in practice between the ELCA and the Episcopal Church is that we sometimes share or exchange clergy, and sometimes hold joint services. Our (Episcopal) parish and a nearby ELCA congregation held joint Saturday evening services for a time, and I've attended an Easter Vigil presided over by an Episcopal priest and a Lutheran pastor working together. I've also heard of cases where a Lutheran pastor served an Episcopal congregation, and vice versa.

I don't believe that the Episcopal Church is in full communion with the RCA, UCC, or PCUSA. One thing we had to hammer out in our negotiations with the ELCA was apostolic succession, because while the Lutherans have bishops, they view them somewhat differently than Episcopalians do, and having bishops in apostolic succession is important on the Anglican side of things. The RCA, UCC, and PCUSA don't have bishops at all, so while we respect them in many ways, a Full Communion agreement would be more difficult.

Each denomination is going to have its own "essentials", so the various Full Communion agreements will be different between different pairs of denominations.

• Winner
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Here's a good definition, from the ELCA website (Full Communion Partners):

A much lengthier description of the agreement between the ELCA and TEC is here: Agreement of Full Communion - Called to Common Mission – The Episcopal Church

What I've seen in practice between the ELCA and the Episcopal Church is that we sometimes share or exchange clergy, and sometimes hold joint services. Our (Episcopal) parish and a nearby ELCA congregation held joint Saturday evening services for a time, and I've attended an Easter Vigil presided over by an Episcopal priest and a Lutheran pastor working together. I've also heard of cases where a Lutheran pastor served an Episcopal congregation, and vice versa.

I don't believe that the Episcopal Church is in full communion with the RCA, UCC, or PCUSA. One thing we had to hammer out in our negotiations with the ELCA was apostolic succession, because while the Lutherans have bishops, they view them somewhat differently than Episcopalians do, and having bishops in apostolic succession is important on the Anglican side of things. The RCA, UCC, and PCUSA don't have bishops at all, so while we respect them in many ways, a Full Communion agreement would be more difficult.

Each denomination is going to have its own "essentials", so the various Full Communion agreements will be different between different pairs of denominations.
Thanks for your thoughtful response and citation! It is appreciated! :)

Ooops- I meant the ELCA. not the Episcopal Church.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What does it mean when a Protestant Church is in full Communion with another Church?

In my hometown, an Evangelical Covenant Church pastor is also pastor of a United Methodist Church-Presbyterian Church (USA) merged-congregation.

It is my understanding the ELCA is in full Communion with the Episcopal Church, the ELCA is also in full communion with the Reformed Church of America, UCC, PCUSA, among others.

Does it mean they share sacraments? Ministers?

God bless

At least among Lutherans and some other Mainline Protestants there is the idea of Altar and Pulpit Fellowship. And you're right, it means a mutual recognition of each other's Altar and the Pulpit.

I belong to a TAALC congregation. TAALC has Altar and Pulpit Fellowship with the LCMS. That means an LCMS minister could preach at our pulpit and celebrate the Lord's Supper, or vice versa.

In the case of receiving the Eucharist, this is more important where Closed Communion is done (which it is in both TAALC and the LCMS). The ELCA practices Open Communion, so as far as receiving the Sacrament it's less of an issue; but it still means that for the ELCA to have A&P Fellowship with the UMC, UCC, PCUSA, etc that there is a full recognition of one another's ministers.

Among Lutherans this does become a hot button topic, because arguments surrounding Open and Closed Communion are often complex ones that attempt to try and deal with the nuances of shared confession of faith. And can really boil down to questions about fellowship and what constitutes meaningful fellowship. Obviously there are things that we can disagree on and remain in deep and committed fellowship; but what things disrupt that fellowship, but which things are those?

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0