InnocentOdion

Seeker
Feb 2, 2006
✟11,136.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Married
I'm looking for a Bible with all of the books from the Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, Jewish, Slavonic, "Luther" books [1] - all of the books accepted in one denomination or another, along with the apocryphia and early Christian writings; does anyone know of a website for them?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_the_Bible

Thanks!
IO

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No Bible has writers of tradition in them, such as the writings of the early chuch fathers. There are plenty of Bibles that contain the Deuterocanon (aka Apocrypha to us Protestants). Beware of pseudopigraphal books, like the New Testament Apocrypha, as these are not considered canonical by anyone other than Gnostics (deny the physical existence of Jesus on earth). I have never seen a Bible that contains these pseudipigraphal books, but you can buy them at your local bookstore under titles like "Nag Hammadi" or "Lost Gospels." These were writings of the Gnostics and are not consistent with the books of the Bible.

The Revised Standard Version, King James Version and New American Bible have the Deuterocanon/Apocrypha in them. That's the most you'll ever see in a Bible, as that was all that was canonized.

Writings of the early church fathers can be had, but there are tons of them. I have a 38 volume set of early church writings that covers the major writings from the 1st through the 4th centuries. But, these are far from extensive, and the collection costs about $150 from CBD.com.

In Him,
Dave

Upvote 0

ksen

Wiki on Garth!
Mar 24, 2003
Florida
Visit site
✟20,679.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Revised Standard Version, King James Version and New American Bible have the Deuterocanon/Apocrypha in them. That's the most you'll ever see in a Bible, as that was all that was canonized.

The Apocrypha was not canonized by the Catholic church until Trent in 1546 in response to the Reformation. So to say they were canonized in the same manner as the other books of the Bible is not entirely accurate.

They are not equivalent to the other canonized works and in fact were not even included in the Hebrew Old Testament of the ancient Jews.

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Apocrypha was not canonized by the Catholic church until Trent in 1546 in response to the Reformation. So to say they were canonized in the same manner as the other books of the Bible is not entirely accurate.

They are not equivalent to the other canonized works and in fact were not even included in the Hebrew Old Testament of the ancient Jews.

The Christian church had NO GOD GIVEN authority over the OT

We are told that the JEWS were the ORACLES of God for the OT.

There was disagreement in the church about the deutercannonicals . Not all agreed that they were inspired literature.

Even Jerome doubted their inspiration and therefore placed them in a section REMOVED from the inspired OT texts.

The famous Jewish historian Josephus noted this, indicating the canon had long been closed

"For we have not an innumerable multitude of books among us, disagreeing from and contradicting one another, but only twenty-two books, which contain the records of all the past times; which are justly believed to be divine; and of them five belong to Moses, which contain his laws and the traditions of the origin of mankind till his death. This interval of time was little short of three thousand years; but as to the time from the death of Moses till the reign of Artaxerxes, king of Persia, who reigned after Xerxes, the prophets, who were after Moses, wrote down what was done in their times in thirteen books. The remaining four books contain hymns to God, and precepts for the conduct of human life. It is true, our history hath been written since Artaxerxes very particularly, but hath not been esteemed of the like authority with the former by our forefathers, because there hath not been an exact succession of prophets since that time..." Flavius Josephus, Against Apion, 1.8

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Writings of the early church fathers can be had, but there are tons of them. I have a 38 volume set of early church writings that covers the major writings from the 1st through the 4th centuries. But, these are far from extensive, and the collection costs about $150 from CBD.com.

In Him,
Dave

It is just important for the reader or listener to remember that the work of the ECF , unlike scripture is not inspired work, but rather the work of men struggling to understand God , His nature and His work.

Many many errors can be seen in the early men trying to grasp the gospel.

I think we could liken it to listening to radio preachers of different denominations today.

That is why Protestant tradition says the final authority is scripture, because that we know is inspired

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I'm looking for a Bible with all of the books from the Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, Jewish, Slavonic, "Luther" books [1] - all of the books accepted in one denomination or another, along with the apocryphia and early Christian writings; does anyone know of a website for them?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_the_Bible

Thanks!
IO
I wish there was one.

Maybe you can make it. I'll buy one from you. You could do it on Lulu.com

The English Bibles with the most of the books of the Church is some editions of the RSV and the NRSV. They contain the "extra" books respected by Catholics, Anglicans, and Eastern Orthodox. The ESV will also available with these books beginning in January, 2009.

But even with that I figure we're still missing The Book of Jubilees, The Book of Enoch, The Testaments of the Twelve Patriarchs, Joseph and Asenath, Psalms 152-155, Psalms of Solomon, Things Omitted from the Prophet Jeremiah (aka Paraleipomena Jeremiou), The Apocalypse of Baruch and The Lives of the Prophets, and a few others should probably be included in an appendix like The Martyrdom of Isaiah and The Apocalypse of Moses.

The "New English Translation of the Septuagint" also includes the same "extra" books as the RSV, NRSV and the soon-coming ESV, plus The Psalms of Solomon.

http://www.thecommonbible.com/html/common_bible_sequence.html
http://www.thecommonbible.com/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

latebloomer

An Autumn Lutheran Rose
May 4, 2007
Iowa
✟9,125.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I found a copy of the Apocrypha (NRSV) at Barnes & Noble that has all the books accepted by various denominations including Eastern Orthodox, Roman Catholic, etc. There's a list of which books are accepted by which group.

I also found a book called "Lost Scriptures" by Bart Ehrman which includes books read by early Christians that were not canonized, such as "The Shepherd of Hermas" and various gospels and other writings.

The books I found were large size paperbacks, about 6" X 9", about 300 or so pages each. Each cost about $15. I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.