Scott4Him

Jun 17, 2013
✟15,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Several passages in the Gospels talk about our fruit.

For example:
And he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. And he said to the vinedresser, "Look, for three years now I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I find none. Cut it down. Why should it use up the ground?" And he answered him, "Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and put on manure. Then if it should bear fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down." (Luke 13:6-9 ESV)

Do these passages describe our actions only? Are they talking about others coming to faith because (in part) of our sharing the gospel? Are they talking about the fruit of the Spirit as in Galatians 5:22-23?

Or could it be some combination of all of these? (My thought is that it is a combination, but I am genuinely asking. I'm not trying to lead the discussion one way or another)

Foghorn

Saved by grace
Mar 8, 2010
New England
Visit site
✟36,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Initially I believe this parable is to show God's long suffering of the rebellious and incredulous nation of the Jews.
Several passages in the Gospels talk about our fruit.

For example:
And he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. And he said to the vinedresser, "Look, for three years now I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I find none. Cut it down. Why should it use up the ground?" And he answered him, "Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and put on manure. Then if it should bear fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down." (Luke 13:6-9 ESV)

Do these passages describe our actions only? Are they talking about others coming to faith because (in part) of our sharing the gospel? Are they talking about the fruit of the Spirit as in Galatians 5:22-23?

Or could it be some combination of all of these? (My thought is that it is a combination, but I am genuinely asking. I'm not trying to lead the discussion one way or another)

Upvote 0

FaithInTruth

Nov 1, 2013
Providence
✟7,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Either way, I think both of what you said is correct. We (the Gentiles) are now grafted onto the fig tree (Israel) so we are Israel. I believe Jesus is talking about believers now as well as the nation before we were grafted in as one has posted in reply to what you said. We cannot produce fruit unless we remain in Him, Jesus, who is also the Vine {see John 15:1-17}. So I think no matter who you are if you do not produce fruit you get cut down. Jesus is our advocate with the Father, which is why He was pleading with the owner of the Vineyard to let Him fertilize it and give it more time to repent and believe. [Let us take a minute to thank and bless our incredibly merciful and long-suffering Lord!]

Either way, a tree or branch that does not produce good fruit will not be effective in sharing the gospel, because it goes against the very meaning and nature of the gospel itself. Christ in you the hope of glory. Whoever truly believes in Jesus Christ as Savior has His Spirit indwelling inside of them BUT we have to REMAIN IN HIM (The Word) and as a result of hearing and doing we produce good fruit. Because He IS our peace, love, joy, gentleness, kindness, patience, long-suffering, and self-control and faithfulness.

May God help us all stay in His Word and remain in Him and He in us to the end. With love and good works; by our endurance we will gain our lives.

Love you!

Reactions: sunsurfkdt
Upvote 0
B

BelievingIsObeying

Scott4Him said:
Several passages in the Gospels talk about our fruit. For example: And he told this parable: "A man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. And he said to the vinedresser, "Look, for three years now I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and I find none. Cut it down. Why should it use up the ground?" And he answered him, "Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and put on manure. Then if it should bear fruit next year, well and good; but if not, you can cut it down." (Luke 13:6-9 ESV) Do these passages describe our actions only? Are they talking about others coming to faith because (in part) of our sharing the gospel? Are they talking about the fruit of the Spirit as in Galatians 5:22-23? Or could it be some combination of all of these? (My thought is that it is a combination, but I am genuinely asking. I'm not trying to lead the discussion one way or another)
Every fruit (action, thought, word, intention) that a Christian bears should shine light onto the glory of God and attract others to his kingdom. A good tree can not produce bad fruit.

Reactions: sunsurfkdt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Every fruit (action, thought, word, intention) that a Christian bears should shine light onto the glory of God and attract others to his kingdom. A good tree can not produce bad fruit.

this

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
May 29, 2011
New Brunswick
✟16,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
John 15:1-8

“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away;[a] and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. 5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. 6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will[b] ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples."

Upvote 0

pshun2404

Jan 26, 2012
✟78,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As with most of what God wants in the scriptures there is another aspect to the fruit of the Spirit that many miss. Fruit is a particular feature of a planting. It does not come immediately and if we desire a particular kind of fruit we must plant and cultivate THAT tree which produces That fruit. So we know the seed is the word which leads to the infilling of the Spirit but Paul enlightens us a bit further in Gal. 6...there is not only a propensity by the Spirit but we are to SOW TO THE SPIRIT...if you want love to manifest in your character and conduct you must continue to plant seeds of love and practice (cultivate) loving...the same with self control...

Failure to apply this principle is one of the reasons some Christians see little of the fruit of the Spirit in their lives. The fruit is not like a spiritual gift (which is given as God wills) but takes time to grow and we must sow to it. The same is true with self-control...as we sow (at every opportunity) in due season we will reap...God bless

In His love

Paul

Upvote 0

AustinMiles89

Jun 18, 2014
Williams Az.
Visit site
✟15,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The clue to the answer in all of this is held within the Seven Feasts of The Lord, and the Seven Letters dictated by Christ in Revelation.

The Feasts are symbolic and prophetic of Gods plan for humanity. Christ fulfilled the first four on their day, And now we are waiting for him to fulfill the last three.

The First Feast requires one to accept the blood of the pure sacrifice in order to be spared from the judgment. The first letter explains that those who tested the false apostles, found the Lord, and accepted only his path, are rewarded with everlasting life.

The Second Feast is about the removal of sin from one's life, this is why for one entire week the Israelites remove all leaven from their homes; thus symbolizing the fact that facing and removing sin from our being is a life long process.
The second letter shows us that while we are faced with this lifelong process of removing sin from our life, we also face accusation and persecution over the course of our entire life for holding onto the truth which is the gospel.

The Third Feast is the first fruit bearing feast. The third letter explains to us that one must discern correctly the meaning of The Word in order to begin bearing fruit. However this feast is only a minor harvest, meaning that there is more mature fruit to be grown and harvested.

The fourth feast is a major harvest and was fulfilled when the Holy Spirit was imparted to mankind. In the fourth letter the Lord tells us that he asks no more of us, except to continue on until He returns.

We find that the process to bearing fruit is this,
1: we must accept Jesus for who and what He is, and what He has done.
2: we must face off against the sin in our life and always do our best, with true hearts, to walk with The Lord as He would have us walk.
3: we must plant The Word within ourselves and seek with all our hearts to understand it to the best of our ability.
It is after we do these that we first begin to bear fruit.
4: we must delve as deep as we each can into a life with The Holy Spirit. Only with Him can we bear the kind of spiritual fruit we read of in Acts.

Christ asks no more of us after this. He fulfilled the first Four Feasts on their days, the last three are for Him to finish.

Upvote 0