✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Hi.

I'm involved in a thread elsewhere about the fruit tax. I know that Jews tithe the fourth year of their fruit (and from then on can harvest). My question is: once harvesting begins, is the fruit further tithed?

My guess is not, as we go from general to specific, and the specific law about the fourth year overrides any other tithe. Am I correct?

My Rabbi takes a million years to return calls, and I hate to bug him with a question that doesn't concern me directly. I need to know ASAP so that if I'm wrong I can correct myself.

Thanks so much!

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Hi.

I'm involved in a thread elsewhere about the fruit tax. I know that Jews tithe the fourth year of their fruit (and from then on can harvest). My question is: once harvesting begins, is the fruit further tithed?

My guess is not, as we go from general to specific, and the specific law about the fourth year overrides any other tithe. Am I correct?

My Rabbi takes a million years to return calls, and I hate to bug him with a question that doesn't concern me directly. I need to know ASAP so that if I'm wrong I can correct myself.

Thanks so much!

That only applies if you and the fruit tree are physically in the land of Israel.

Laws of Religion, Judaism and Islam

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Which applies? That the fruit is tithed from the fifth year on, or that it is not tithed after the fourth year?

If you live in the country of Israel, you would do this tax. If you live anywhere else on the planet earth, you do not have to worry about this tax. This tax only applies to fruit trees that are physically growing in the State of Israel.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
If you live in the country of Israel, you would do this tax. If you live anywhere else on the planet earth, you do not have to worry about this tax. This tax only applies to fruit trees that are physically growing in the State of Israel.
I understand this. Thank you.

I don't think you are understanding my question. In the Land of Israel, in the fifth year, is there STILL a fruit tithe due (despite that it is no longer the fourth year)?

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I understand this. Thank you.

I don't think you are understanding my question. In the Land of Israel, in the fifth year, is there STILL a fruit tithe due (despite that it is no longer the fourth year)?

Opps! Sorry! Yes, after the tax (tithe) is paid once, it is no longer taxed.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Opps! Sorry! Yes, after the tax (tithe) is paid once, it is no longer taxed.
It may be so now, but it seems it may not always have been so....

JPS Tanakh 1917
Nehemiah 10:36...and to bring the first-fruits of our land, and the first-fruits of all fruit of all manner of trees, year by year, unto the house of the L-RD
Leviticus 27:30 Thus all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the L-RD'S; it is holy to the L-RD.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
It may be so now, but it seems it may not always have been so....

JPS Tanakh 1917
Nehemiah 10:36...and to bring the first-fruits of our land, and the first-fruits of all fruit of all manner of trees, year by year, unto the house of the L-RD
Leviticus 27:30 Thus all the tithe of the land, of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the L-RD'S; it is holy to the L-RD.
Good to see you again!

Lev 27:30 says nothing on this matter. The tithe is the fourth year.

Nehemiah 10:36 mentions "year by year," and does need to be addressed. Basically, there will be fruits in the fourth year every year, because farmers in various areas are planting new orchards all the time, as God is not address each individual farmer, but Israel as a whole.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Good to see you again!

Lev 27:30 says nothing on this matter. The tithe is the fourth year.

Nehemiah 10:36 mentions "year by year," and does need to be addressed. Basically, there will be fruits in the fourth year every year, because farmers in various areas are planting new orchards all the time, as God is not address each individual farmer, but Israel as a whole.
:)
for this reason there is established a New Year for trees - Tu b'Shevat
Judaism 101: Tu B'Shevat

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums