From the New York Times: I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the "John McCain lives on", files:
I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration - I work for the president but like-minded colleagues and I have vowed to thwart parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.

The dilemma — which he does not fully grasp — is that many of the senior officials in his own administration are working diligently from within to frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.

I would know. I am one of them.

To be clear, ours is not the popular “resistance” of the left. We want the administration to succeed and think that many of its policies have already made America safer and more prosperous.

But we believe our first duty is to this country, and the president continues to act in a manner that is detrimental to the health of our republic.

That is why many Trump appointees have vowed to do what we can to preserve our democratic institutions while thwarting Mr. Trump’s more misguided impulses until he is out of office.
We may no longer have Senator McCain. But we will always have his example — a lodestar for restoring honor to public life and our national dialogue. Mr. Trump may fear such honorable men, but we should revere them.

There is a quiet resistance within the administration of people choosing to put country first. But the real difference will be made by everyday citizens rising above politics, reaching across the aisle and resolving to shed the labels in favor of a single one: Americans
Anonymous, of course, but absolutely true according to the New York Times. No "deep state" here. Nope. Just good people doing good things.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

That is why many Trump appointees have vowed to do what we can to preserve our democratic institutions while thwarting Mr. Trump’s more misguided impulses until he is out of office.

No "deep state" here. Nope. Just good people doing good things.

Did Trump appoint the deep state? If so, the problem is his own durn fault, but it's not the 'deep state' that people talk about.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Something about rodents and sinking vessels.....

The difference is that these rats want to save the ship and just have the Captain go overboard.

Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The difference is that these rats want to save the ship and just have the Captain go overboard.

Maybe. I’m inclined to suspect that these rats want to save their own tails, more than anything else....

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Anonymous op-ed. ROFL! ^_^
... from a "senior administration official".
Winking_smiley.gif

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Maybe. I’m inclined to suspect that these rats want to save their own tails, more than anything else....

This sounds like they are trying to save the ship.

“To be clear, ours is not the popular “resistance” of the left. We want the administration to succeed and think that many of its policies have already made America safer and more prosperous.

But we believe our first duty is to this country, and the president continues to act in a manner that is detrimental to the health of our republic.

That is why many Trump appointees have vowed to do what we can to preserve our democratic institutions while thwarting Mr. Trump’s more misguided impulses until he is out of office.”

• Agree
Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
... from a "senior administration official".
Winking_smiley.gif
Yeah, an inside resistance traitor writing a public announcement to the NYT, and alerting everyone including Trump, that there exists a ring of inside resistance traitors, would have to be ten times stupider than Trump, or than anybody ever. This really speaks to the intelligence of Democrats whom the NYT knows will actually swallow this.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Anonymous, of course, but absolutely true according to the New York Times.

And confirmed by the administration.

No "deep state" here. Nope. Just good people doing good things.

Some people value the country over loyalty to Donald.

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
This op-ed , Woodward book and all the news about White House .. none of these are surprising. Anyone who followed President Trump past 20 years or so would know this is normal for him.

This resistance and all that doesn’t make these people hero. Woodward books claim cabinet member considered 25th Amendment but chose note to invoke it, rather then using constitutional power to remove the president peaceful and democratically they chose to hide papers, not follow his order and sabotage his policy. I don’t see any honor in that. If they really care about the country there is only one option they have – invoke 25th Amendment. Everything else is crocodile tears.

Only surprising part about whole thing is that still today 41% Americans still support the current Administration. The way it looks like – there is no line President Trump can cross that would change their mind. President is right about one thing all along – he can shoot someone on 5th Ave and yet his people will support him. After all “ Making America White Again” is worth everything else.

Upvote 0

AllButNone

Jan 18, 2017
Canada
✟77,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
If the op-ed is true, the writer is a bit (lot) of a coward for not revealing his name. The author swore a duty to uphold the constitution, and if the author and others believe the president isn't fit to serve to the point that the president must be actively thwarted for the good of the country, they have a duty to resign and publicly voice their concerns so appropriate action can be taken, or to invoke section 4 of the 25th amendment if the support is there. They should not be silently working against the president.

At the same time, to people who feel this isn't true because it's anonymous--the NYT wouldn't publish the claim that it's from a senior figure in the administration unless it was absolutely sure it was from a senior figure. This isn't a guarantee that this senior official is telling the truth. But in light of Woodward's book, it does corroborate a narrative that's probably true, and for which there's plenty of other evidence.

I wonder what will happen next. A purge in the administration seems likely. If that happens, I wonder if these people will finally stop hiding in anonymity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, an inside resistance traitor writing a public announcement to the NYT, and alerting everyone including Trump, that there exists a ring of inside resistance traitors, would have to be ten times stupider than Trump, or than anybody ever. This really speaks to the intelligence of Democrats whom the NYT knows will actually swallow this.
Actually it's Republicans and independent voters they hope will swallow it.

Upvote 0

AllButNone

Jan 18, 2017
Canada
✟77,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

So what does it say that Trump seems to be treating it as plausible?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This resistance and all that doesn’t make these people hero. Woodward books claim cabinet member considered 25th Amendment but chose note to invoke it, rather then using constitutional power to remove the president peaceful and democratically they chose to hide papers, not follow his order and sabotage his policy. I don’t see any honor in that. If they really care about the country there is only one option they have – invoke 25th Amendment. Everything else is crocodile tears.

....the author may not be a cabinet member. But yes, I think the cabinet has let down the country by refusing to invoke the powers granted to them by the 25th Amendment.

• Agree
Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[key excerpt IMO]

"The root of the problem is the president’s amorality. Anyone who works with him knows he is not moored to any discernible first principles that guide his decision making.

Although he was elected as a Republican, the president shows little affinity for ideals long espoused by conservatives: free minds, free markets and free people. At best, he has invoked these ideals in scripted settings. At worst, he has attacked them outright.

In addition to his mass-marketing of the notion that the press is the “enemy of the people,” President Trump’s impulses are generally anti-trade and anti-democratic."

Reactions: mark kennedy
Upvote 0