Tolworth
✟369,559.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How can I go about in a daily practical way NOT being a friend with, to, of, the world?

A good serious question and you've lots of sifferent views.
I would say if a hobby, a friend, a job, a tv show, internet blog or game becomes more important than serving God or spending time with God than the world is becoming more important than the things of God.

It is important to remember that Jesus knows our weaknesses and that he is willing to forgive us. We don't have to achieve 100% a pure and holy life, we only have to try our best.

Upvote 0

limerick

Sep 17, 2017
washington dc
✟17,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here are some thoughts that I hope would be of help to you

2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness

Who we spend time with, and form relationships with is a big part of whether we are living by Christian values, or by non Christian values, i.e. values of the world

Try to avoid relationships with people who are stonch atheists, as they are not supportive of our faith

It would be better to spend time with people of the faith, by attending fellowships such as Bible studies

Another better way to spend time would be to serve people in need such as the poor

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,152,595.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Love people and use things not use people and love things.

What great advice. We most of us have done both at various times, so it's a reasonable instruction for improvement to remember, and I think quite useful!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
James 4:4
You adulterers! Don't you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again: If you want to be a friend of the world, you make yourself an enemy of God.

How can I go about in a daily practical way NOT being a friend with, to, of, the world?
Wholesome, sobering considerations from James!

Upvote 0

GUANO

Jul 3, 2013
Los Angeles
✟32,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
James 4:4
You adulterers! Don't you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again: If you want to be a friend of the world, you make yourself an enemy of God.

What do you think it means? The first line, "adulterers!", seems to indicate some kind of idolatry... Going after other gods...

Upvote 0

raffadalbo

Jun 25, 2017
Lazio
✟8,501.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The word friend here is the Greek word "Phillia" it means love, He is not talking about the people of the world but loving the things of the world: materialism, wealth, power, secular education, social status, culture, politics, nationalism, and many others. Basically anything that takes priority over God.

.... would that then mean that as long as love of the world is low priority, it is then okay ? (no)

I think one should read the full chapter 4 in James. He starts saying things like "you ask and you do not receive, because you ask in the wrong way, only in order to satisfy your passions". Of course, what should one ask? Maybe good health, or a new job, or a marriage or a child, or escaping a danger. It is normal to ask for things that belong to the world - God has given them to Adam and Eva for their joy; all was given them for their free use, except one tree.

But "loving" things is not the same as "enjoying" them. And enjoying without restrictions is not the same as enjoying according to God's will. This is in short the opposition between love world (meaning a wish to find the full sense of life and full joy in the things of the world) and love God(meaning that, whether we enjoy or give up things of the world, we never see them as ultimate ends... God only is the ultimate end and whatever we do we act according to His will).

• Agree
Reactions: Thedictator
Upvote 0

Thedictator

Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World
Mar 21, 2010
Northeast Texas
✟50,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you think it means? The first line, "adulterers!", seems to indicate some kind of idolatry... Going after other gods...
He is talking to the bride of Christ who love the World more than him. That is adultery.

Upvote 0