• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Friendship With The World

Discussion in 'Deeper Fellowship' started by Aimz, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,182
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    A good serious question and you've lots of sifferent views.
    I would say if a hobby, a friend, a job, a tv show, internet blog or game becomes more important than serving God or spending time with God than the world is becoming more important than the things of God.

It is important to remember that Jesus knows our weaknesses and that he is willing to forgive us. We don't have to achieve 100% a pure and holy life, we only have to try our best.

2. limerick

limerick New Member

+6
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Here are some thoughts that I hope would be of help to you

2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness

Who we spend time with, and form relationships with is a big part of whether we are living by Christian values, or by non Christian values, i.e. values of the world

Try to avoid relationships with people who are stonch atheists, as they are not supportive of our faith

It would be better to spend time with people of the faith, by attending fellowships such as Bible studies

Another better way to spend time would be to serve people in need such as the poor

3. Halbhh

Halbhh Everything You say is Life to me Supporter

+6,335
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    What great advice. We most of us have done both at various times, so it's a reasonable instruction for improvement to remember, and I think quite useful!

4. faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk Fading curmudgeon

+16,292
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Wholesome, sobering considerations from James!

5. drjean

drjean Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,423
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Mr O's response is right on! That is exactly what I used to do, say something like really? Let's go ask her/him if that's true! Soon no one wanted to share gossip with me, and I was quite grateful for that!

6. GUANO

GUANO Well-Known Member

+318
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    What do you think it means? The first line, "adulterers!", seems to indicate some kind of idolatry... Going after other gods...

7. raffadalbo

raffadalbo New Member

+7
    Italy
    Catholic
    Married
    I think one should read the full chapter 4 in James. He starts saying things like "you ask and you do not receive, because you ask in the wrong way, only in order to satisfy your passions". Of course, what should one ask? Maybe good health, or a new job, or a marriage or a child, or escaping a danger. It is normal to ask for things that belong to the world - God has given them to Adam and Eva for their joy; all was given them for their free use, except one tree.

But "loving" things is not the same as "enjoying" them. And enjoying without restrictions is not the same as enjoying according to God's will. This is in short the opposition between love world (meaning a wish to find the full sense of life and full joy in the things of the world) and love God(meaning that, whether we enjoy or give up things of the world, we never see them as ultimate ends... God only is the ultimate end and whatever we do we act according to His will).

8. Thedictator

Thedictator Retired Coach, Now Missionary to the World

+509
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    He is talking to the bride of Christ who love the World more than him. That is adultery.