Frequency of Holy Communion

How often does your church celebrate Holy Communion?

• Weekly

• Weekly + Holy Days

• Monthly

• Monthly + Holy Days

• Quarterly

• Quarterly + Holy Days

• Annually

• Holy Days only (Christmas, Easter, etc.)

• I'm not sure

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Historicus

Follower of Jesus Christ
Apr 20, 2005
Ohio
✟55,435.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It's been a while since we've seen this topic. I was wondering... How often does your Methodist/Nazarene/Wesleyan church celebrate the Sacrament of Holy Communion?

(Holy Days = Christmas Eve, Christmas, Holy Week, Easter, etc.)

* correction: my vote should be Monthly+Holy Days

Last edited:

cavell

Senior Veteran
Jan 14, 2006
Yorkshire, England
✟34,982.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
You know originally Methodists celebrated communion every time that they had a worship service in which an elder was present.
(Graceseeker)

"This do in rememberance of me" 1 Cor. 11. 23-26. The 'holy communion' breaking of bread' whatever name chosen, the important point is we are making our connection with Jesus........ our Saviour.

Our connection, association with Jesus in this ordinance, set out for us in scripture, is paramount.....vital....... I would say.

I note the practise quoted by the Pastor here, and say Amen.

We are associating with Jesus in this commandment........a

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eklisiarh

Jul 15, 2018
London
✟15,501.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scripture teaches to do this when ever believers gather.
You are right! I have read a great book about how it came by that Christians stopped receiving communion regularly. Unfortunately it's in German (Christologie und Kommunion) so not all will be able to read it (https://www.aschendorff-buchverlag.de/detailview?no=13358) Basically changes in Christology in fourth century were responsible that people started being afraid of Christ and focused on asceticism instead of communion. Sounds very plausible to me because being afraid of Christ does not contribute to the frequent reception of the communion.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
It's been a while since we've seen this topic. I was wondering... How often does your Methodist/Nazarene/Wesleyan church celebrate the Sacrament of Holy Communion?

(Holy Days = Christmas Eve, Christmas, Holy Week, Easter, etc.)

* correction: my vote should be Monthly+Holy Days
My church has Communion monthly, though I liked it in the church I grew up in where it was held quarterly.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What did yall use?

We had Welch's grape juice -- and little hard crackers -- which one time my sister took a WHOLE HANDFUL OF til my grandmother made her put 'em back.

Me, I just hustled down to the kitchen after service, where I poured dozens of the little plastic cups worth of unused grape juice into a big old glass -- as you can tell, my Eucharistic sessions were NOT highly theologically motivated as a child.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
What did yall use?

We had Welch's grape juice -- and little hard crackers -- which one time my sister took a WHOLE HANDFUL OF til my grandmother made her put 'em back.

Me, I just hustled down to the kitchen after service, where I poured dozens of the little plastic cups worth of unused grape juice into a big old glass -- as you can tell, my Eucharistic sessions were NOT highly theologically motivated as a child.
I think lately we just use a freshly baked loaf of bread, and someone hands you a piece. And then there are those tiny little cups of grape juice.

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's multi-lingual/multi-lateral now at our church...

Yew kin take a pinch of fresh-baked loaf - OR a hard wafer - yew kin take a swig out of a common cup o grape juice or yew kin getcha a lil bitty plastic cupful

ya pays ya munny - ya takes ya choice

(and ya dont hafta pay nuthing)

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wouldn't recognize it.
.???

I thought you said you pinched off a piece of fresh baked bread? That sounds leavened.

We use matzah. Before, we used crackers or those tasteless wafers.

Upvote 0