Sep 20, 2006
✟15,920.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Sometimes people call it prophetic worship. It's when the musicians play music and lead the church to sing their own song to the Lord. It usually happens after singing a song on the set list.

Do this happen in your church? What are your thoughts about it? Do you participate or feel uncomfortable?

J4Jesus

MY HEART BELONGS TO JESUS
Oct 22, 2005
✟54,260.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I love singing in the Spirit. Its awesome how when you just yield to Him He gives you a new tune and words to praise Him that come from the Spirit, not from your head.

Psalm 33:3
Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.

Psalm 40:3
And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the LORD.

Psalm 98:1
O sing unto the LORD a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.

Psalm 144:9
I will sing a new song unto thee, O God: upon a psaltery and an instrument of ten strings will I sing praises unto thee.

Psalm 149:1
Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.

Upvote 0

akasmom

busy body, still soul
Feb 22, 2005
✟11,435.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sometimes people call it prophetic worship. It's when the musicians play music and lead the church to sing their own song to the Lord. It usually happens after singing a song on the set list.

Do this happen in your church?
yes
what are your thoughts about it?
love it
participate or feel uncomfortable?
participate

Upvote 0

s0journ3r

Sep 7, 2006
Louisiana
✟15,645.00
Faith
Calvinist
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think I ever heard it referred to as such. I know that the music leaders at my church are ministering in song while people are praying/worshipping. And I really enjoy the atmosphere of praise it creates. Although, some people/churches tend to get carried away and make it all about emotions rather than a real encounter with the Master.

Yours truly in Christ,
sojourner

Upvote 0

PastorMike

Newry Christian Centre
Oct 11, 2005
Northern Ireland
Visit site
✟26,530.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

Do this happen in your church? What are your thoughts about it? Do you participate or feel uncomfortable?

I love it, we are encouraged to do this in our church, sometimes we are so busy singing someone else's words and this gives us an oportunity to sing to God out of our own hearts...

To me its like, praying a prayer that someone else wrote and then praying your own prayer out of your own heart...

Upvote 0

J4Jesus

MY HEART BELONGS TO JESUS
Oct 22, 2005
✟54,260.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I love it, we are encouraged to do this in our church, sometimes we are so busy singing someone else's words and this gives us an oportunity to sing to God out of our own hearts...

To me its like, praying a prayer that someone else wrote and then praying your own prayer out of your own heart...
All my songs are prayers-I minister to Him and when I do He ministers to the people :)

Upvote 0

FireOfGod

Senior Veteran
Sep 29, 2005
Visit site
✟3,035.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yeah, I guess... It's just in our church they'll go into one of their practiced song and then that flows into something spontaneous. I love it and I think it's definitely God. :)

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can be good, sometimes it flows, sometimes not, but sure God loves whatever we offer if we're seeking him with it.

Still a bit scared of my own voce so have to be really ready to join in, but it is lovely when it flows.

(Practising singing in the spirit while hoovering helps a bit towards getting over that sound barrier! ;) :blush: )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I am on the worship team at my church, and, well, I don't feel like I've completely worshiped until/unless there has been some spontaneous worship or a song of the Lord goes forth, whether I'm the one who "steps out" or not. From my observation, people seem a little bit uncomfortable with this hapening when they first encounter it, but after several times, they seem to get the idea. I really enjoy it a lot when there are a lot of voices being raised up at the same time, singing to the Lord from worshiping hearts, but that is only occasional - I think it should happen more often.

Actually, there is a Hebrew word for spontaneous praise - tehillah - and this is the word used in that verse that says that God inhabits the praises of His people - these praises are spontaneous praises from the heart.....

Ps 34:1
1 I will bless the LORD at all times; his tehillah shall continually be in my mouth.

Ps 40:3
3 He has put a new song in my mouth-- tehillah to our God; many will see it and fear, and will trust in the LORD.

Ps 100:4
4 Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.

Isa 61:3
3 To console those who mourn in Zion, to give them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of tehillah for the spirit of heaviness; that they may be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified."

blessings
talitha

Upvote 0

bithiah2

Jah is my strength and song!
Jun 12, 2006
metro
✟18,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

i love it!
i don't feel uncomfortable with anything that is from God. my mom does not like it, though. she likes the methodist way and came to church with me one sunday, and was very uncomfortable with no hymn books and the songs up on the projector.
but i like worship the way it is. God always has a new song, all we have to do is listen.
as long as we are truly praising the Lord, if it is from a book or not, God accepts it.
blessings
bithiah2

Upvote 0

BillynJennifer

Veteran
Sep 16, 2005
KY
✟9,613.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
(Practising singing in the spirit while hoovering helps a bit towards getting over that sound barrier! ;) :blush: )

That was just about the most hillarious thing I've heard all day. My wife and daughter thought I'd lost my marbles when I laid back in my computer chair, laughing like a wild person when I read this. Brightened up a rather bland night!

Billy

Reactions: KleinerApfel
Upvote 0

Elesaid

Sep 20, 2006
✟15,920.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Actually, there is a Hebrew word for spontaneous praise - tehillah - and this is the word used in that verse that says that God inhabits the praises of His people - these praises are spontaneous praises from the heart.....

Thanks for sharing this and for the people that shared bible verses too. I always enjoy a bit of that to add to a conversation about something. :)

I like it too, but have noticed that there is a large amount of people that don't participate. I don't know if it is because of uncomfortability or not enough "hoover practise" ;)

I find that it goes quite quickly though and by the time I've thought of words to sing, the singers start singing the next song. :(

It's one of the reasons why I would love to know how to play an instrument so that I can spend as long as I want in spontaneous worship at home.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.