Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Why do some people find it so strange and terrible that people might have more free time?

As if free time means people don't know what to do with their time, or might do something bad.

If people worked 3 instead of 5 days, why couldn't people spend their time doing sport, art, taking in or creating entertainment, science and innovation, helping their community, or just relaxing?

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why do some people find it so strange and terrible that people might have more free time?

As if free time means people don't know what to do with their time, or might do something bad.

If people worked 3 instead of 5 days, why couldn't people spend their time doing sport, art, taking in or creating entertainment, science and innovation, helping their community, or just relaxing?

Who finds it strange/terrible if other people have more free time?

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Quick question; do you work? If so, how many hours a week do you work?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,192,788.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

My partner is going to a three day schedule but still working a full 40 hours, is that your idea?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Lol. Another one of these threads? Why don't you just work 3 days a week and relax the other 4?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nige55

Mar 2, 2012
✟68,732.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you can afford to, then great. I'd consider it a luxury to be able to do that, or in the case of those who cut hours to spend more time with family, a prioritisation.
As long as it doesn't mean that someone else is having to cradle you financially in order to be self indulgent and take it easy, I see that with some couples I know.
I think there's something very healthy in keeping busy, be that work or otherwise. I know some people who are real daydreamers, work part time when they could work full time, and really let their minds end up lazy. They're less able to push themselves and cope when pressures come along, they would be incapable of having kids as it stands.
If you were to fill your time with healthy, productive and mind stimulating activities, I could see it as a positive. However, there's so many people (certainly in the UK) who still live at home with their parents who no longer have the working stamina or motivation to work, earn more and move out that we have a problem.
Certainly from a Christian perspective, I understand that we are to work to the best of our abilities.
interesting topic and question :)

• Agree
Reactions: 381465
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Idle hands are the devil's playground."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.