✟527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
justinstout said:
2 Corithians 5:19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
The Meaning Of "KOSMOS" In 2 Corinthians 5:19

Many people suppose they already know the simple meaning of 2 Corinthians 5:19, John 3:16 and other passages which use the greek word "kosmos", and therefore they conclude that no diligent study is required of them to discover the precise teaching of this verse. Needless to say, such an attitude shuts out any further light which they otherwise might obtain on the passage. Yet, if anyone will take a Concordance and read carefully the various passages in which the term "world" (as a translation of "kosmos") occurs, he will quickly perceive that to ascertain the precise meaning of, the word "world" in any given passage is not nearly so easy as is popularly supposed. The word "kosmos," and its English equivalent "world," is not used with a uniform significance in the New Testament. Very far from it. It is used in quite a number of different ways. Below we will refer to a few passages where this term occurs, suggesting a tentative definition in each case:
"Kosmos" is used of the Universe as a whole: Acts 17:24 - "God that made the world and all things therein seeing that He is Lord of heaven and earth."

"Kosmos" is used of the earth: John 13:1; Ephesians 1:4, etc., etc.- "When Jesus knew that his hour was come that He should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved His own which were in the world He loved them unto the end." "Depart out of this world" signifies, leave this earth. "According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world." This expression signifies, before the earth was founded—compare Job 38:4 etc.

"Kosmos" is used of the world-system: John 12:31 etc. "Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the Prince of this world be cast out"— compare Matthew 4:8 and 1 John 5:19, R. V.

"Kosmos" is used of the whole human race: Romans 3:19, etc.—"Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God."

"Kosmos" is used of humanity minus believers: John 15:18; Romans 3:6 "If the world hate you, ye know that it hated Me before it hated you." Believers do not "hate" Christ, so that "the world" here must signify the world of unbelievers in contrast from believers who love Christ. "God forbid: for then how shall God judge the world." Here is another passage where "the world" cannot mean "you, me, and everybody," for believers will not be "judged" by God, see John 5:24. So that here, too, it must be the world of unbelievers which is in view.

"Kosmos" is used of Gentiles in contrast from Jews: Romans 11:12 etc. "Now if the fall of them (Israel) be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them (Israel) the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their (Israel’s) fulness." Note how the first clause in italics is defined by the latter clause placed in italics. Here, again, "the world" cannot signify all humanity for it excludes Israel!

"Kosmos" is used of believers only: John 1:29; 3:16, 17; 6:33; 12:47; 1 Corinthians 4:9; 2 Corinthians 5:19. We leave our readers to turn to these passages, asking them to note, carefully, exactly what is said and predicated of "the world" in each place.

Thus it will be seen that "kosmos" has at least seven clearly defined different meanings in the New Testament. It may be asked, Has then God used a word thus to confuse and confound those who read the Scriptures? We answer, No! nor has He written His Word for lazy people who are too dilatory, or too busy with the things of this world, or, like Martha, so much occupied with "serving," they have no time and no heart to "search" and "study" Holy Writ! Should it be asked further, But how is a searcher of the Scriptures to know which of the above meanings the term "world" has in any given passage? The answer is: This may be ascertained by a careful study of the context, by diligently noting what is predicated of "the world" in each passage, and by prayer fully consulting other parallel passages to the one being studied. The principal subject of John 3:16 is Christ as the Gift of God. The first clause tells us what moved God to "give" His only begotten Son, and that was His great "love;" the second clause informs us for whom God "gave" His Son, and that is for, "whosoever (or, better, ‘every one’) believeth;" while the last clause makes known why God "gave" His Son (His purpose), and that is, that everyone that believeth "should not perish but have everlasting life." That "the world" in John 3:16 refers to the world of believers (God’s elect), in contradistinction from "the world of the ungodly" (2 Pet. 2:5), is established, unequivocally established, by a comparison of the other passages which speak of God’s "love." "God commendeth His love toward US"—the saints, Romans 5:8. "Whom the Lord loveth He chasteneth"—every son, Hebrews 12:6. "We love Him, because He first loved US"—believers, 1 John 4:19. The wicked God "pities" (see Matt. 18:33). Unto the unthankful and evil God is "kind" (see Luke 6:35). The vessels of wrath He endures "with much long-suffering" (see Rom. 9:22). But "His own" God "loves"!!

Upvote 0

justinstout

Teaching God's Goodness
Feb 20, 2005
Georgia, USA
✟1,843.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 54:8-10, In a little wrath I hid my face from you for a moment; but with everlasting kindness I will have mercy on you, says the Lord your Redeemer. For this is as the waters of Noah to me. For I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth, so have I sworn that I would not be angry with you, nor rebuke you. For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed, and my kindness shall not depart from you; neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed from you, says the Lord who has mercy on you.

Upvote 0

NarrowPathPilgrim

If God be for us, who can be against us
Jan 6, 2006
In Christ!
Visit site
✟527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
justinstout said:
Isaiah 54:8-10, In a little wrath I hid my face from you for a moment; but with everlasting kindness I will have mercy on you, says the Lord your Redeemer. For this is as the waters of Noah to me. For I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth, so have I sworn that I would not be angry with you, nor rebuke you. For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed, and my kindness shall not depart from you; neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed from you, says the Lord who has mercy on you.
Notice that he promised not to be angry with "you", this is not referring to everyone but rather to a certain number. The promise is to as many as the Lord our God shall call!
Acts 2:39 "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." (The Promise Is To A Limited Number)
Sincerely, Zach Doty

PS. You really should read those verses I asked you to read, they will answer all your questions and objections!

Upvote 0

justinstout

Teaching God's Goodness
Feb 20, 2005
Georgia, USA
✟1,843.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
NarrowPathPilgrim said:
Notice that he promised not to be angry with "you", this is not referring to everyone but rather to a certain number. The promise is to as many as the Lord our God shall call!
Acts 2:39 "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call." (The Promise Is To A Limited Number)

Sincerely, Zach Doty

PS. You really should read those verses I asked you to read, they will answer all your questions and objections!

Oh ok.. so you are telling me that just because God made a promise with Noah to never flood the earth again.. that promise doesn't affect and apply to us?? The covenant that God made in Isaiah 54 was with and through the blood of Jesus Christ. That covenant wasn't made with us, but for us. Our physical actions cannot break a covenant that God made with Jesus. He said, "This is as the waters of Noah unto me.." Why would He refer back to His promise to NEVER flood the earth again with water (which affects everyone who lives on this earth) if He only had a few people in mind here??

Upvote 0

NarrowPathPilgrim

Jan 6, 2006
In Christ!
Visit site
✟527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
justinstout said:
Oh ok.. so you are telling me that just because God made a promise with Noah to never flood the earth again.. that promise doesn't affect and apply to us??
lol, take another look at the verse, he is merely using that promise as an example and referring back to Gen 9:11 and Gen 9:15 where he made the promise.

The covenant that God made in Isaiah 54 was with and through the blood of Jesus Christ. That covenant wasn't made with us, but for us.
I agree with this, the promise is for us, the elect, the believers. But NOT EVERYONE!

Our physical actions cannot break a covenant that God made with Jesus.
True, but Christ has not made a covenant with everyone. If he had it would mean everyone would be saved, as you said, "Our physical actions cannot break a covenant that God made with Jesus."

He said, "This is as the waters of Noah unto me.." Why would He refer back to His promise to NEVER flood the earth again with water (which affects everyone who lives on this earth) if He only had a few people in mind here??
Look at the passage, that is the only promise in those verses that doesn't use the word "you" to limit the number of promised ones.

Sincerely, Zach Doty

PS. DID YOU READ THOSE VERSES YET?

Upvote 0

NarrowPathPilgrim

Jan 6, 2006
In Christ!
Visit site
✟527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
justinstout said:
Nope. The verse isn't referring to salvation.
WHAT???

Isaiah 54:8-10, "In a little wrath I hid my face from you for a moment; but with everlasting kindness I will have mercy on you, says the Lord your Redeemer. For this is as the waters of Noah to me. For I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth, so have I sworn that I would not be angry with you, nor rebuke you. For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed, and my kindness shall not depart from you; neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed from you, says the Lord who has mercy on you."

This is talking about "your redeemer" who has sworn "everlasting kindness" upon his elect. If this is a promise to everyone, they why would he say that even after the mountains depart and the hills be removed his "kindness shall not depart from you"? Are you going to say that he will still be treating them kindly with "mercy" while they are in hell? The love of God is unchanging, if he loves everyone now, then he will have to love everyone in hell, are you going to go so far as to say that?

Sincerely, Zach Doty

PS. You still haven't told me if you read the scripture I asked you to read.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NarrowPathPilgrim

Jan 6, 2006
In Christ!
Visit site
✟527.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
justinstout said:
Romans 2:4
It is the goodness of God that leads man to repentence.
Yes, Goodness towards some people, but not all.

Romans 11:20-22
20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

2 Thessalonians 2:11-17
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Does that passage sound like God loves them? Does it sound like he is being kind?

1 Peter 2:7-10
7 Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed.

Joshua 11:20 For it was of the LORD to harden their hearts, that they should come against Israel in battle, that he might destroy them utterly, and that they might have no favour, but that he might destroy them, as the LORD commanded Moses.

John 12:37-40
37 But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him:
38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed?
39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again,
40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them.

Sound like he loves them?

Acts 16:6-7
6 Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia,
7 After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not.

Matthew 20:15-16
15 Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own? Is thine eye evil, because I am good?
16 So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.

Matthew 11:25-27
25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.
26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.
27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

Matthew 13:10-17
10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:
15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

Jude 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

Sincerely, Zach Doty

PS. You STILL haven't told me if you've read the verses I asked you to read. There are MANY more verses like these in the Bible! (Oh, and all but one of the passages I posted above are from the NEW TESTAMENT...you can't ignore these)

Reactions: God_fearer
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.