• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The CF Faith Groups List has been updated. The Statement of Faith has also been updated (section on unorthodox Christian theology only). Please review both of these updates. If you would like to request a different faith group, please open a support ticket.

Free Audio lectures on Calvinism?

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by ByronArn, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ByronArn

ByronArn Charismatic Episcopalian

+14
    Anglican
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Okay, I am willing to give Calvinism a fair shake, since it does have quite a history behind it. The way I like to learn theology is by listening to someone teaching about it on my mp3 player with a bible in hand to look up references. This is how I learned about Amillenialism, and New Covenant theology. So, does anyone know of a good series of audio lectures on Calvinism that is freely downloadable off the web? What I am looking for is something that gives a broad overview of Calvinism in its first lesson, just the basics, and then goes into more detail about individual aspects of it in future lessons. Something that follows this format (although, about Calvinism instead of New Covenant Theology! lol!):

A Course in New Covenant Theology | In-Depth Studies

Can someone help me out? It would be appreciated very much! :) Thanks!

2. Hammster

Hammster You turn on any of my crew, you turn on me. Staff Member Administrator Supporter

+7,534
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    If you go to desiringgod.org and search for TULIP, John Piper has a 9 part series on it.

3. Hammster

Hammster You turn on any of my crew, you turn on me. Staff Member Administrator Supporter

+7,534
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
  4. Hammster

+7,534
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    And I appreciate your attitude. Even if you stay unconvinced, at least you will know what we believe and why, and won't make false claims about Calvinism.

5. Skala

Skala I'm a Saint. Not because of me, but because of Him

+398
    Baptist
    Married
    If you want the basics first, the stuff by RC Sproul is the place to start. That is Chosen by God and What is Reformed Theology? below.

Chosen by God free video series you can watch online
    Chosen By God Teaching Series by Dr. R.C. Sproul from Ligonier Ministries

What is Reformed Theology free video series also
    What Is Reformed Theology? Teaching Series by Dr. R.C. Sproul from Ligonier Ministries

Doctrines of Grace (TULIP) by Jim Mcclarty:
    Grace Christian Assembly

(make sure you go to GCA Archives on the left, then find "Doctrines of Grace". Also, "Theology Talk" is good too. It's an anti-Calvinist sermon with commentary from Jim and his associate. It clears up a lot of misunderstandings)

6. ByronArn

+14
    Anglican
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    Thank you for your responses. One thing I forgot to mention, I am looking for free mterials that I can watch on the go. This means the audio or video file must be able to be downloaded for free (legally, of course!). Some of the mentioned respurces are available as free downloads, so I will look into those. thank you everyone! :)

7. ByronArn

+14
    Anglican
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    I don't think I could ever accept Limited atonement. I think Scripture is pretty clear that Christ died for all. But only God knows. Maybe I will end up a four point Calvinist. :)

8. Hammster

+7,534
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Almost any 5-pointer will tell you that the L was the last to fall. :). For me it was the L that brought it all together.

9. Skala

+398
    Baptist
    Married
    Byron, another thing I'd toss into the list of great "starter" materials is the DVD "Amazing Grace: The History and Theology of Calvinism". Here's a few places you can buy it. Everyone I know of personally that has sat through this has come away a convinced Calvinist.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Grace...46K8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1327435161&sr=8-2

Amazing Grace: The History & Theology of Calvinism (DVD) :: DVDs :: CDs, DVDs, Software :: Monergism Books :: Reformed Books - Discount Prices - Free Shipping

As for Limited Atonement, that's probably the doctrine that is the last to be affirmed by any person who is slowly being convinced of Calvinism. I know it was for me, too!

The "go-to" place for that doctrine would have to be John Owen's "The Death of Death in the Death of Christ" which you can read online for free, or buy your own copy somewhere.

JI Packer's Introduction to The Death of Death
    Introductory Essay to John Owen's Death of Death in the Death of Christ (J. I. Packer)

The actual book online for free:
    Death of Death in the Death of Christ | Christian Classics Ethereal Library

10. Osage Bluestem

Osage Bluestem Galatians 5:1

+241
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Others
    I honestly don't remember the linear process of becoming convinced Calvinism is true.

I verified each point biblically but in the end....God has predestined everything. Does the bible teach that? Yes. The 5 points just break it down into categories.

11. ByronArn

+14
    Anglican
    In Relationship
    US-Democrat
    One thing I like about R.C Sproul is that he came out and said from the begining that he believes the Arminian vs Calvinist debate is an in-house debate, that there are good Christians on both sides. Too many Calvinist zealots today deny the Christianity of non-Calvinism.

12. Hammster

+7,534
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    As someone who has been on both sides of the debate, I can say with certainty that the door swings both ways.

13. Skala

+398
    Baptist
    Married
    I know for a fact that there are semi-pelagians/arminians out there that deny that a person can be saved and be a calvinist.

So yes, the door swings both ways.