Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Is that a problem? :scratch:
Only if you're a traditional Catholic.

If you are a progressive bent on altering the Roman Catholic faith to fit whatever the cultural trends and demands are, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I would also say progressivism is incapable with Christianity in general and liberalism is a separate religion and worldview.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,807.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

If you are a progressive bent on altering the Roman Catholic faith to fit whatever the cultural trends and demands are, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I would also say progressivism is incapable with Christianity in general and liberalism is a separate religion and worldview.
Hmmmm. :scratch: my Lord Jesus broke the tradition of the religious right and rebuked those who were more concerned with tradition than with truth.

Upvote 0

Merrill

Mar 25, 2023
Chicago
✟56,468.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Within a few years, the Catholic Church could either appoint women as Deacons, or even ordain them as priests ...that would be pretty radical.

But while I reject the idea of women as priests and pastors as a general rule, I do wonder about the following scenario:

if a male priest / pastor is not available, can a religiously-trained woman issue sacraments or even conduct a service / mass? What if someone needs last-rights?

it is an interesting theological question.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,405,807.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Within a few years, the Catholic Church could either appoint women as Deacons, or even ordain them as priests ...that would be pretty radical.

But while I reject the idea of women as priests and pastors as a general rule, I do wonder about the following scenario:

if a male priest / pastor is not available, can a religiously-trained woman issue sacraments or even conduct a service / mass? What if someone needs last-rights?

Plus...you do not read about women sexually abuse children.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I thought they already had female deacons. Maybe I'm forgetting what a deacon is, or I was never sure.

It doesn't seem radical to not exclude persons from a job for their gender.

No, it isn't that interesting, even for theology.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

It won't happen. Pope John Paul II closed women being ordained idea once and for all in 1994.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I thought they already had female deacons. Maybe I'm forgetting what a deacon is, or I was never sure.

It doesn't seem radical to not exclude persons from a job for their gender.

No, it isn't that interesting, even for theology.
There are no female deacons. There were female deaconess in the early Church that helped supported during women during Baptism etc, but none currently in either the Catholic or Orthodox Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There are no female deacons. There were female deaconess in the early Church that helped supported during women during Baptism etc, but none currently in either the Catholic or Orthodox Church.
I guess I don't know what a deacon is then. Our parishes only ever had just the one priest on staff (and sometimes shared him), no nuns or deacons.

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Do you also reject the Church’s adoption of the heliocentric model of the solar system?

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I guess I don't know what a deacon is then. Our parishes only ever had just the one priest on staff (and sometimes shared him), no nuns or deacons.
It's an ordained clergyman who assists the priest with the liturgy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Do you also reject the Church’s adoption of the heliocentric model of the solar system?
Not the same thing. The sacrament of holy orders itself is reserved for men only. If you aren't Catholic, this doesn't concern you.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like a priest. Never seen a double priest show in person.
He cannot celebrate the Mass, hear confessions, etc. He can be married with a family. He can witness marriage and performs weddings (and baptisms), read the Gospel, and preach.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
He cannot celebrate the Mass, hear confessions, etc. He can be married with a family. He can witness marriage and performs weddings, read the Gospel, and preach.
I thought you had to be single to be ordained.

Upvote 0