Foxhole Christian?

Daveptsd

Feb 19, 2012
✟7,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I accepted Jesus as savior at age eleven. Over the next twelve years, being a Christain faded into a vague ideal of truth that everyone sought in one way or another. At twenty three, I volunteered for the draft to get my military obligation over with, secretly hoping three years of college engineering and summers working on a survey crew would keep me out of the infantry.

My logic didn't coincide with the military. After four months of training a Boeng 707 disgourged me at Ben Hoe, South Vietnam. The Repo Depot at Di An sent me to a line company somewhere between Saigon and the Cambodian Border. Where was God? He obviously missed his chance to keep me out of harms way.

Life got real serious real fast. The other fellow who came into the company with me was killed our first day out in the jungle. A short round fell ten feet behind me while three others guys were helping to carry out one of the wounded. They became instant casualities while I stood there dumb founded, still hanging onto one corner of the make-shift litter. Someone commented on how lucky I was. In my heart I knew it wasn't "luck" but my view of God didn't include instant mericles, especially when I hadn't prayed or given much thought to God at all. I certainly didn't have faith enough to expect God to protect or shield me from bullets and snrapnel. I was terrified and still had over 350 days left of my tour.

As days turned to weeks and then months, constant fear became normal. My job was to walk point every third day while out in the jungle and rice paddies. Life expectancy was maybe a month, two at most for point men. God performed more and more miricles that continually saved my life while those around me were sent home heavily bandaged or in body bags. Survivors guilt kept me walking point for ten months. Luck had nothing to do with it but I was still afraid to trust God completely. Nothing I learned growing up could explain the mercy and grace that poured out on me.

I can't say I became a "true believer" even after all the mericles God had done. When I came home, all I wanted was to return to being the person I was before the war. Why had God saved me? Was I supposed to be some kind of missionary to Africa, or some great evangelist? Surely God wouldn't do what He did without some great plan for me to fulfill.

I certainly didn't feel great. In fact, synptoms of PTSD started flaring up long before it was recognized by anyone. Flashes of anger, guilt, depression, flash backs and nightmares kept me from becoming anyone great. I thought if I denied my experiences strongly enough and buried them deeply enough, they couldn't bother me. After thirty years, my emotional strength and self image hit bottom - forcing me to admit I couldn't go on without help.

That was the time I could hear God's small voice say, "OK, you've tried it your way all these years, now you want to try it My way?" My wife and I had gone to church most Sundays but I never heard anyone talk about God's view of war. Of course He didn't like it, didn't want it to happen; but it did anyway. All those kids who didn't make it home - they could have done so much better at life than I had. Why was I physically saved, only to wind up an emotional cripple? Obviously, my view of God didn't represent what I'd experienced.

Wish I could say God answered all my questions in an instant flash of revelation. No, it came slowly and my hope is that other combat veterans don't have to wait as long as it took me to realize God is bigger than my understanding. I was no one special but God said it was simply pleasing to Him that i came home safely. War is a part of human nature. God won't force us to love Him and won't change the heart of anyone who doesn't want to change. At the same time, He uses all things for our good and His glory when we love and trust in Him - that wasn't me back in Vietnam, but it's becoming me now.

I can't explain it in words of understanding. Life is a process, not just a series of events. Let Him change you.

Reactions: Humble Pie

Daveptsd

Feb 19, 2012
✟7,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course, but He's made me comfortalbe that I'm not Him. I'm not smart enough to decide why things happened the way they did. I went through years of anger, guilt and depression before I was ready for His answer to my survivor's guilt. All I know is He is bigger than my understanding or my feelings of what's fair.

I am able to conclude that life is not fair, not like I though while growing up. There would be no worth to life if it were easy and went the way we think it should. Why would we need God if He were just Santa Clause, giving us what we wanted all the time. What kind of relationship would that be?

Why don't you ask God that question? Let Him change you to the point you can understand. It might be a long way from where you're at now.

Upvote 0

PaulEBear

Only Believe!
Feb 18, 2012
Nevada
✟7,716.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That was the time I could hear God's small voice say, "OK, you've tried it your way all these years, now you want to try it My way?"
--- 8><--- [snip] ---
Why was I physically saved, only to wind up an emotional cripple? Obviously, my view of God didn't represent what I'd experienced.

Brother, Dave, you could have been telling my story all over again! I know where you are coming from because I was at the other end of Vietnam at Chu Lai during '69-'70. I learned Morse Code in high school for two reasons; one was to be able to get a ham radio license and the other was to be able to do something my best friend couldn't. But, I learned it well.

I joined the Marines in April of '68 right after receiving my 1A draft card. I was told that as long as I scored high enough on the tests, I could go into communications. Since I knew a lot of basic electronics and Morse Code, I got my wish and was made a radiotelegraph operator.

When it was my time to go to Vietnam, April of '69, my orders were to 3rd division units. For we Marines, that meant any one of about 30 outfits that were along the DMZ and a few between there and Da Nang. When I arrived, everyone on my flight had their orders endorsed and on the way out. I was the last one in the room. The sergeant processing orders asked my name and went looking for mine. Unknown to me, they had been changed from 3rd division to 1st Marine Air Wing. He said I was going to Chu Lai Airbase because they had no Morse Code operators and needed at least two.

Instead of going to a line company, packing a radio around with my brother Marines in the bush, I went to a relatively secure air base and was assigned to the base comm section. I think the change was not only due to my knowing Morse Code but, it was due to some serious prayers from a handful of people at my mother's church as well. Even being assigned to the base, we had our share of sweep patrols as every Marine is trained as a basic rifleman first. Most patrols were just outside the base perimeter to look for caches of weapons and for tunnels. We encountered only a few of the enemy during these times and engaged in firefights only a couple of times. Most of the base perimeter had been cleared of foliage the year before by Agent Orange spraying about a 1/4 mile deep except where the west side of the base contacted the village.

In December, I was next in line for a 60-day temporary assignment to our C-117 'Hummer' aircraft. This was the one that looked like an old C-47 but, dropped the starlight flares at night. Three day before I was to start, the current radio operator got sick and they needed their replacement right away. However, I was not around, was in Da Nang with a pallet of radio gear turning it in for repair and replacement. So, my friend Ron took my place and I got bumped back to the next time. Ron, LtCol. Snead, Capt. Berger, Sgt. Bunch and Ron Liscum were the 'new crew'. Dec. 29th they were flying their last training mission when they hit the top of a mountain while flying in the clouds. All four died on impact. I knew all four men but, especially Ron who was a close friend.

For years, every anniversary I would remember that terrible day and the guilt would start all over again - that should have been me on the plane, not Ron. Why did I survive? After beating myself up for a couple of weeks, my emotions would subside and I could bury the issue and go on. But, every year, it got worse....

It took a while but, I was able to reconcile my issues with surviving the plane crash when Ron took my place. Through some good council from Christian veterans, I understood that Ron would not want me feeling the way I did that he would have wanted me to go on with my life. That was also what I felt over and over again when I prayed. God told me that I have kept you safe for a reason. I am sure it used up a lot of His time since I could make a list of stuff that should have ended my life early but, didn't.

Once I purged my heart of the guilt I carried with me and thanked God for Him protecting me, I was ready for what he had in store for me. It has taken a lot of years to get to this point and it has tried my patience deeply but, I believe I am where the Lord intended me to be all along and it feels good.

Since I gave my life to Him, life has been so much different and so very much better. I have attended several peer counseling sessions with Vietnam veterans who are coping with some of what I had been and some have even deeper traumatic scars that are taking them a lifetime to heal. We talk about them, sometimes going over the same things because most simply cannot grasp the fact that a loving God will carry that burden if they would just give it up to Him. Some have, some can't. Many of those that can't, continue the way they are because they are deceived by Satan into thinking they will never be rid of the guilt and have to carry this the rest of their lives. They fall just short of giving their lives to the Lord and the cycle continues.

If you have not done so, it would do you well to seek out council for your PTSD issues. I have some recommendations for you but, would rather send them to you privately if that's OK with you. I am happy to continue our conversation and be your friend and brother. I know that the Lord can and does heal these wounds because I have seen it and experienced it on a personal basis.

Thanks for your post and from me to you, Welcome Home! :hug:

Paul

Upvote 0

Daveptsd

Feb 19, 2012
✟7,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul, I haven't been following the forum very frequently and didn't read your post until just a few minutes ago. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I did four years of goup counciling in the local Vet Center and a little longer with a group of Christian vets. God is truely amazing, bigger than war or the self centerness of "normal" society back home. God is still working on my readjustment to life through His process. He already sees me in heaven, complete and right, because He isn't bound by time. I just have to keep remembering who is in control.

Anyway, thanks again for the encouragement and keep on helping other vets - no one understands a vet's journey better than another vet.

Upvote 0

Daveptsd

Feb 19, 2012
✟7,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul, I haven't been following the forum very frequently and didn't read your post until just a few minutes ago. Thanks so much for the encouragement. I did four years of goup counciling in the local Vet Center and a little longer with a group of Christian vets. God is truely amazing, bigger than war or the self centerness of "normal" society back home. God is still working on my readjustment to life through His process. He already sees me in heaven, complete and right, because He isn't bound by time. I just have to keep remembering who is in control.

Anyway, thanks again for the encouragement and keep on helping other vets - no one understands a vet's journey better than another vet.

Upvote 0