Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There have been some common catch phrases I've noticed over the years, that you'll tend to see only on forums and not in everyday use... I find it funny, yet...Intriguing. But sometimes annoying...

Here's one: "What are you on about"

LOL, "on about"... :)

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There have been some common catch phrases I've noticed over the years, that you'll tend to see only on forums and not in everyday use... I find it funny, yet...Intriguing. But sometimes annoying...

I think that is from Oz or NZ.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

"What are you on about?" is a normal everyday expression in my part of the world. It's also normal in British English.

OB

• Informative
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of people use this on message boards: ‘Irregardless’. Drives me up a wall. Last I heard, it is not an actual word. It’s nonsensical.

I hate that word too, and so much, I looked it up to see if it was real....last I heard it was. Prove me wrong...please.

"I could care less" is another.

And lastly, I actually said lol in a face to face conversation once...awful. It was then I knew I was getting way too much internet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

American English has a unique idiom and it’s often obvious, just from the written words, that a poster is American.

As an American you may not be aware of some of these distinctive differences. The following Americanisms crop up regularly in CF posts:

Of
Sticking ‘of” into places where it’s semantically superfluous is a fairly standard Americanism. Where the rest of us might say “Get off my back”, an American will say “Get off of my back”. Sentences like, “It’s not that big of a deal”, are also typically American. A non-American might drop the ‘of’ and say “It’s not that big a deal”, but, since this version is bit awkward, is more likely to do a complete substitution with something like “It isn’t that important”

"if this is too abstract of a question then…"

Would
“If he would have known he wouldn’t have come” is an Americanised version of “If he had known he wouldn’t have come”. Technically ‘would’ adds an unnecessary, conditional element to ‘have’. It seems to be most prevalent in informal, vernacular American.

Second of all
Most other Englishes tend to use ‘secondly’ where American English seems to favour ‘second of all’. This is either derived from “first of all” or is yet another opportunity to work ‘of’ into a sentence.

Different than
In American English ‘different than’, is the most common way to express differentiation. American English seems to rarely use ‘different to’ or ‘different from’; the forms of differentiation most commonly used in other English dialects.

‘Then’ vs ‘than’
CF posters regularly confuse ‘then’ with ‘than’. It seems to be a habit peculiar to American posters. Typically, ‘then’ is used when the correct word is ‘than’. The most common form of this is when ‘different than (mentioned above) becomes ‘different then although I have often seen then/than confusion in other contexts. Surprisingly, the then/than mix-up is even a problem for some of the more articulate CF posters.

Dropping the ‘d’
Dropping the final 'd' on 'suppose(d)' and 'bias(ed)' is a very common Americanism
"He is suppose to help us"
"She is bias against Asians"

Anyways
Pluralising anyway to anyways is a peculiarly American habit.

Time & number
A quarter of three vs A quarter to three

Two hundred forty-seven vs Two hundred and forty-seven

Convicted
In my English 'convicted' means found guilty of a crime. Using 'convicted' to mean 'strongly convinced' appears to be peculiar to American Christians.

On
Study on it, preach on the Bible. This use of 'on' is peculiarly American.

I could care less
Notoriously the equivalent of Fingernails on a Blackboard for most non-American English speakers. We would say "I couldn't care less".

OB

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hate that word too, and so much, I looked it up to see if it was real....last I heard it was. Prove me wrong...please.

"I could care less" is another.

And lastly, I actually said lol in a face to face conversation once...awful. It was then I knew I was getting way too much internet.
I just looked it up. Last I looked it was not a word but it could have come from an unreliable source.

Irregardless means the same thing as “regardless.” Yes, it's a word. But major dictionaries label it nonstandard.

• Informative
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ere's one: "What are you on about"
LOL, "on about".
.. :)
Pretty sure that is from OZ or NZ.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Convicted
In my English 'convicted' means found guilty of a crime. Using 'convicted' to mean 'strongly convinced' appears to be peculiar to American Christians.
In American parlance, "conviction" can either mean being found guilty of a crime, or it can also mean a strong belief in something, as in a "personal conviction" that something is wrong or right. Christians just happen to use this often.

Definition of CONVICTION

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,854.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Convicted

That one's pretty common in Christian circles here too, although it may have become so due to the predominance of American publishers of Christian works.

The one that always jumps out at me is spelling. Gaol/jail, -our/-or, -ise/-ize endings, that sort of thing.

Oh, and dates! Americans write the date backwards, and it does my head in!

But as for forum-specific stuff, I think each forum develops its own peculiarities over time. I'm on a parenting forum which has a whole lot of abbreviations and phrases which would be pretty meaningless anywhere else.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,674,921.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That one's pretty common in Christian circles here too, although it may have become so due to the predominance of American publishers of Christian works.

The one that always jumps out at me is spelling. Gaol/jail, -our/-or, -ise/-ize endings, that sort of thing.

But as for forum-specific stuff, I think each forum develops its own peculiarities over time. I'm on a parenting forum which has a whole lot of abbreviations and phrases which would be pretty meaningless anywhere else.
No! YOU guys do dates backwards! Lol ;)

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
In American parlance, "conviction" can either mean being found guilty of a crime, or it can also mean a strong belief in something, as in a "personal conviction" that something is wrong or right. Christians just happen to use this often.

Definition of CONVICTION

I would also normally use 'conviction' to mean strong belief. The difference I'm talking about is the use of 'convicted' as a word derived from 'conviction'.

While most English speakers would describe themselves as 'having a personal conviction' few, outside of the US, would describe themselves as being 'convicted'. As you said, it appears most often in the context of a Christian belief.

OB

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I spent 22 years in the US Army I still use their dating e.g. today is one April 21
How about cars, US/Aus hood/bonnet, trunk/boot, windshield/windscreen, tire/tyre, wrench/spanner.

Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,340.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

I'd bet money it's derived from American idiom - probably via movies or American TV preachers.

Thank Mr Webster for that.

With a new PC and some apps I will often need to change the spelling to Australian English and the dd/mm/yyyy date format instead of the very strange mm/dd/yyyy.

OB

Upvote 0