Las Vegas
✟8,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
We had this fortune cookie day at work. I ate a cookie and I posted my fortune on the wall now.....people were eating a fortune cookie and taping their fortune to the wall and writing their name under it. I didn't think anything of it at the time. But I'm still kinda a Christian (trying to come back to God), so maybe that's a sin and I need to take it down? And cross my name out?

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Some would say it is a sin...I think that it depends on what is in your heart and how seriously you take it's message. A fortune cookie is not equal to God, but it can be an amusing piece of entertainment...but what do I know?

Upvote 0

LookingForTruth

Sep 14, 2017
Las Vegas
✟8,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Some would say it is a sin...I think that it depends on what is in your heart and how seriously you take it's message. A fortune cookie is not equal to God, but it can be an amusing piece of entertainment...but what do I know?
Thanks. I definitely don't take the fortune seriously at all.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
We had this fortune cookie day at work. I ate a cookie and I posted my fortune on the wall now.....people were eating a fortune cookie and taping their fortune to the wall and writing their name under it. I didn't think anything of it at the time. But I'm still kinda a Christian (trying to come back to God), so maybe that's a sin and I need to take it down? And cross my name out?
The Bible prohibits divination, right?

Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it is a sin. I think it is fine to read fortune cookies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Except everyone knows that's not what is actually going on here.
horrible-fortune-cookies-300x250.jpg

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I think you should relax a bit and not worry so much about such extremely trivial things.

I think there are bigger problems in the world (both in your life and outside of it) that deserver more attention and more worrying, wouldn't you agree?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
hehe fortune cookies arn't even chinese they were something made up in LA I think around turn of the 19th century
From wikipedia:

David Jung, founder of the Hong Kong Noodle Company in Los Angeles, has made a competing claim that he invented the cookie in 1918. San Francisco's Court of Historical Review attempted to settle the dispute in 1983. During the proceedings, a fortune cookie was introduced as a key piece of evidence with a message reading, "S.F. Judge who rules for L.A. Not Very Smart Cookie". A federal judge of the Court of Historical Review determined that the cookie originated with Hagiwara and the court ruled in favor of San Francisco. Subsequently, the city of Los Angeles condemned the decision.

Ha ha!

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know of literally nobody that actually takes fortune cookies seriously. It's all silly fun. There is no sin there to contemplate.

90% of the messages in them aren't even fortunes (as in, predictions about the future). They're mostly just 'inspirational' generic phrases.

Upvote 0