Formal Debate Peanut Gallery- There ARE absolute moral laws prescribed by our Creator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You have overlooked the obvious,it would be a condition as a result of a life style.

Such as coal miner lung.

It is not a idiom in medical terms no more than dumb ass is a hard of hearing donkey.

So it isn't a medical term.

I understand your examples, but I think Gay Bowel Syndrome is a bit different from black lung or phossy jaw. I've heard of coal miners using the term "black lung" and doctors as well. However, I doubt I'm ever going to hear a homosexual use the term "Gay Bowel Syndrome" and I'm pretty certain I'll never hear a doctor say it. That's because, frankly, it sounds like the term was invented to denigrate homosexuals. If it refers to what I think it refers to (I haven't looked it up) it has nothing at all to do with being "gay". It could just as easily afflict a straight woman or man. Naming the affliction "Gay Bowel Syndrome" merely because it affects homosexuals more often than straight men and women is the equivalent of referring to AIDS as "Gay Immune System Syndrome" or something similar.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I understand your examples, but I think Gay Bowel Syndrome is a bit different from black lung or phossy jaw. I've heard of coal miners using the term "black lung" and doctors as well. However, I doubt I'm ever going to hear a homosexual use the term "Gay Bowel Syndrome" and I'm pretty certain I'll never hear a doctor say it. That's because, frankly, it sounds like the term was invented to denigrate homosexuals. If it refers to what I think it refers to (I haven't looked it up) it has nothing at all to do with being "gay". It could just as easily afflict a straight woman or man. Naming the affliction "Gay Bowel Syndrome" merely because it affects homosexuals more often than straight men and women is the equivalent of referring to AIDS as "Gay Immune System Syndrome" or something similar.

It was actually originally called GRID, "Gay Related Immune Deficiency"

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married

I do not know very much about the subject matter other than it is caused by certain behaviors, so I will leave well enough alone.

Upvote 0

Gladius

Rationalist
Jun 19, 2014
Sydney
✟15,303.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
1st post here at your interesting forums.

I came over looking for some practice in rhetoric, in particular the application of logic.

I'm obviously not debating David, but offering some further refutation of his logical reasoning .

Whilst David's deductive argument appears valid, I challenge the soundness of his premises. All of them.

Starting with "1. Every law has a Law-Giver". Without wanting to start a semantic argument, it is nonetheless fundamental to the entire debate, what is meant by the term "Law" and "Law-Giver".

If in this context 'Law' means legislated and/or enforced rules for the conduct of a society, then indeed I agree with Premise #1.

If however, David means observable consistent behaviours or results within a system (like the universe, or a planet) or society (group of animals or humans) then I'm afraid I'll need to know what he means by 'Law-Giver'.

If by 'Law-Giver' David means a person or personal God in reference to my second definition of 'Law', then I ask him to provide any empirical evidence to support his premise that a person or personal God is responsible for the 'laws' of gravity, relativity, natural selection or even the 'law' which explains how human life is created.

As David appears to have some philosophical vocabulary, he will hopefully understand what I mean when I say this premise appears to be a fallacy of equivocation.

Moving onto the even more flawed second premise. "There is a Moral Law". Leaving aside another definition argument, this one is a petitio principii (or begging the question) fallacy, no question.

The debate question was stated as "There ARE absolute moral laws......."

To simply use as a deductive premise in response "There is a moral law" is to make a totally unsound argument in logic.

No further argument against David's deductive logic argument is necessary.

However, (in a spirit of education I will continue), David's remaining posts were attempts to prove his premise #2 true entirely via his personal theological beliefs (e.g."we all have this prescription written on the fibre of our Being..."), thereby committing the fallacies of i) mind-projection (when one considers the way one sees the world as the way the world really is) and ii) moralism (inferring factual conclusions from purely evaluative premises in violation of fact-value distinction).

He also erroneously attributes observed behaviour and mental states in some societal groups to the entire human species (e.g. "even serial killers know that murder is wrong"), thereby committing the fallacy of composition (assuming that something true of the part is true of the whole). By the way, according to the latest scientific evidence, serial killers suffering Antisocial Personality Disorder do not know that murder is morally wrong.

Hope my contribution has been useful to something.

Cheers

Gladius

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Having read the debate, that may have been the most lopsided one I've ever seen. Well done, Ana. Both came off as smug at times, but David's statements were so ridiculous that it was almost a farce.

Well thanks Blue, I've been waiting for someone to weigh in on the debate. I appreciate the praise.

Upvote 0

klibera

Jan 25, 2015
✟7,633.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think God's greatest absolute was simply try to treat your neighbor as you would want to be treated. Now we all know that this is impossible to attain all the time-nations war against each other, different denominations war against each other, just the everyday tensions in human life. Indeed all humans live in tension-we are not clones of each other. I think the Lord wants us to respect all of God's creations to the best extent possible. Be decent human beings, respect the planet, respect God's creatures, don't run around trying to be the moral police...just set a moral example-have good conscience-don't lust for power & money.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.