Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There have been a number of posts recently where it is clear that the posters have an issue with not forgiving themselves. This is something I learnt to do a lot better some years ago after probably over a decade as a Christian. Jesus said that His yoke is an easy burden and one of the reasons I used to struggle with is that I would not forgive myself. I had repented and asked God to forgive me and felt comfortable with the fact that Jesus paid the price for all our sin on the cross, but I did not feel that I was living in the freedom of God.

The reason for my lack of freedom was unforgiveness. We all know as Christians that unforgiveness is one of Gods key principles for us living a Christian life. Yet so many Christians struggle on the issue when it comes to forgiving themselves. We do not let go of our sin and carry it around with us. We find it easier to accept Gods forgiveness than to forgive ourselves.

As with a lot of things in my Christian walk it started with a choice that I was going to do it. I now find that I can repent of an issue, accept Gods forgiveness as He has done all that is necessary for my forgiveness, forgive myself and move forward with God. I find that I am less likely to give in to temptation as well as I have a stronger relationship with God. I can worship in spirit and in truth without my own guilt getting in the way and I am in the best spiritual place I have been in many years as a result of it.

In one post I read someone said that some people are able to walk through life with few worries and others seem to carry struggles through life. I am now in the former and used to be in the later, the difference for me is being able to forgive myself. And how many times should you forgive yourself (even the same sin)? The same as anyone else Matthew 18:21-22.

Romans 7:15-20. Sin is at work in our bodies, but as I move forward with forgiveness I find it has less of a hold on me. I am growing in my walk with God and this is one of the biggest issues that has helped me move forward.

I hope this helps someone and invite comments on other peoples experiences of forgiving themselves and anyone who struggles with this.

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There have been a number of posts recently where it is clear that the posters have an issue with not forgiving themselves. This is something I learnt to do a lot better some years ago after probably over a decade as a Christian. Jesus said that His yoke is an easy burden and one of the reasons I used to struggle with is that I would not forgive myself. I had repented and asked God to forgive me and felt comfortable with the fact that Jesus paid the price for all our sin on the cross, but I did not feel that I was living in the freedom of God.

The reason for my lack of freedom was unforgiveness. We all know as Christians that unforgiveness is one of Gods key principles for us living a Christian life. Yet so many Christians struggle on the issue when it comes to forgiving themselves. We do not let go of our sin and carry it around with us. We find it easier to accept Gods forgiveness than to forgive ourselves.

As with a lot of things in my Christian walk it started with a choice that I was going to do it. I now find that I can repent of an issue, accept Gods forgiveness as He has done all that is necessary for my forgiveness, forgive myself and move forward with God. I find that I am less likely to give in to temptation as well as I have a stronger relationship with God. I can worship in spirit and in truth without my own guilt getting in the way and I am in the best spiritual place I have been in many years as a result of it.

In one post I read someone said that some people are able to walk through life with few worries and others seem to carry struggles through life. I am now in the former and used to be in the later, the difference for me is being able to forgive myself. And how many times should you forgive yourself (even the same sin)? The same as anyone else Matthew 18:21-22.

Romans 7:15-20. Sin is at work in our bodies, but as I move forward with forgiveness I find it has less of a hold on me. I am growing in my walk with God and this is one of the biggest issues that has helped me move forward.

I hope this helps someone and invite comments on other peoples experiences of forgiving themselves and anyone who struggles with this.

When we repent truly, really in the heart too, then we are forgiven by God, and come back to Him, and this is a profoundly good moment, in that we also reenter His "rest" and peace, our wonderful place where things are good for us, even in the midst of chaos in the world around us.

Upvote 0