Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
When God made man, he made only 1 sex: Man. As Adam was hanging out and having fun, filling his days but getting lonely, God saw it'd be good for him to have a mate and he made Eve as part of Adam.

My question:
Does that mean that God only created one gender for all the other animals as well and because of the fall half of all these animals spontaneously changed genders OR did God make both genders for all other animals but only one "man"?

I haven't come to a logical conclusion on this and it's vexing me.

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
When God made man, he made only 1 sex: Man. As Adam was hanging out and having fun, filling his days but getting lonely, God saw it'd be good for him to have a mate and he made Eve as part of Adam.

My question:
Does that mean that God only created one gender for all the other animals as well and because of the fall half of all these animals spontaneously changed genders OR did God make both genders for all other animals but only one "man"?

No.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

God made the animals, then He made Adam.

Then He held off on making Eve until He paraded the animals past Adam, so Adam could name them.

Adam stood there and saw Mr and Mrs Gorilla pass by, Mr and Mrs Giraffe pass by, Mr and Mrs T. Rex pass by.

But ... but ... where was Mrs Adam?

It was then that God put Adam to sleep, took a rib from him, and made Eve.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Then He held off on making Eve until He paraded the animals past Adam, so Adam could name them.

Adam stood there and saw Mr and Mrs Gorilla pass by, Mr and Mrs Giraffe pass by, Mr and Mrs T. Rex pass by.

So your position is that God made male and female animal but only one gender for humans?
Seems an odd choice. Like...wouldn't God recognize that Adam "would be lonely" when he made companions for all the other animals?

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So your position is that God made male and female animal but only one gender for humans?

My position is that He held off making Eve.

Seems an odd choice.

Why?

Like...wouldn't God recognize that Adam "would be lonely" when he made companions for all the other animals?

I don't know if it's a matter of loneliness per se.

But if Adam was lonely, then yes, God would have known that before He even created him.

Upvote 0

Roderick Spode

Nov 12, 2019
Silicon Valley
✟24,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Seems an odd choice. Like...wouldn't God recognize that Adam "would be lonely" when he made companions for all the other animals?
For everything there's a time and a purpose. What might apply to humans may not necessarily apply to animals. The bible is not specific about why there was a wait, but Adam was placed in the garden for a purpose, which may have required a waiting period.

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
And did Adam have free will at that time?
If you mean, did he have to answer to his wife, no he did not have to answer to his wife.

The answer depends on what you mean by "free will".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark Quayle

Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟792,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
You lost me with your answer since I had two options (unless htere is a third option I don't know).
You said: "Does that mean that God only created one gender for all the other animals as well and because of the fall half of all these animals spontaneously changed genders OR did God make both genders for all other animals but only one "man"?"

In truth we don't even know if God made man with reproductive ability to begin with. But I meant, "No", concerning the first part of the question. We have no reason to think that he would have made all the other animals with one gender. But we don't have enough information to decide for sure one way or the other on that.

The way the story is told, seems to me told for the purpose of story-telling, and not for accurate representation of God's purposes; it doesn't make sense that he would make man with a gender then add the woman as an after-thought.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If you mean, did he have to answer to his wife, no he did not have to answer to his wife.

The answer depends on what you mean by "free will".
I mean the free will God gave humanity so that we would not be automatons. Did Adam have that kind of free will.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Creation was not complete without Eve, just as it was not complete on day 1. Adam was incomplete without Eve.

[Mar 10:6 ESV] But from the beginning of creation, 'God made them male and female.'

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

He did not parade the animals in front of Adam just for him to name. He was looking for a "companion" among them to be with Adam:

20 The man gave names to all the tame animals, to all the birds in the air, and to all the wild animals. He saw many animals and birds, but he could not find a companion that was right for him.

Apparently, inappropriate behavior with animals was perfectly okay with God and within reason for Adam if he so desired.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
He did not parade the animals in front of Adam just for him to name.

Actually He did.

Genesis 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

He was looking for a "companion" among them to be with Adam:

20 The man gave names to all the tame animals, to all the birds in the air, and to all the wild animals. He saw many animals and birds, but he could not find a companion that was right for him.

Apparently, inappropriate behavior with animals was perfectly okay with God and within reason for Adam if he so desired.

Is that what you learned in college today?

Or did you learn this?

Leviticus 18:23 Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually He did.

Genesis 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

Is that what you learned in college today?

Or did you learn this?

Leviticus 18:23 Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith: neither shall any woman stand before a beast to lie down thereto: it is confusion.
I quoted your holy book verbatim, AV.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟244,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
An extra-Biblical add on.
Your "God cleaned up all evidence of the flood" is extra-biblical, too. The difference is there is actual ancient writings that mention Lilith.

Upvote 0