Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
From reading the New Testament, I don't believe the food laws are still in effect today.

But would it still be good to follow for respect to God, and healthier? God gave this law for a reason did he, and what was the reason for? Was it to protect the health of his people?

This came to mind because I was researching an extreme primitive raw food diet, that includes drinking animal blood, and rotting flesh :scratch::sick::sick:. Sounds pretty gross, but apparently the people who have been doing this are healthy and claim to have research to back what they do.

And then there is the other extreme diet of Vegan. But people back in the Old Testament times have been eating meat, and I find most Vegans to be anti-God and Anti-Bible. And just by looking a lot of them, they look malnourished.

Dietary laws were positive laws given to Israel, they have had no moral binding to the non-Jew, regardless of what dispensation you lived under. They were set apart, by God, to be a distinct people and gave them laws that separated them from the pagans. It would not have been sinful, even at that time, for you to eat pork. If you were a Jew, under the Old Covenant, then it would have been. The significance of the New Covenant allowing pork to be eaten is a blessing to Jews than it would have been to Gentiles.

Blood, however, has never been permitted to be consumed. God forbade man to drink/eat blood since our forefather Noah, it was a universally law for all generations, to all nations. Why? God said that life is in the blood, the kind of life used for atonement. In using blood for common use, it would have little significance in sacrificial purposes. It was meant to be set apart for holy uses, and that life in the blood is intended for atonement. It would be defiling of the meaning of blood atonement if we used it in our daily life for everything.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Dietary laws were positive laws given to Israel, they have had no moral binding to the non-Jew, regardless of what dispensation you lived under. They were set apart, by God, to be a distinct people and gave them laws that separated them from the pagans. It would not have been sinful, even at that time, for you to eat pork. If you were a Jew, under the Old Covenant, then it would have been. The significance of the New Covenant allowing pork to be eaten is a blessing to Jews than it would have been to Gentiles.

Blood, however, has never been permitted to be consumed. God forbade man to drink/eat blood since our forefather Noah, it was a universally law for all generations, to all nations. Why? God said that life is in the blood, the kind of life used for atonement. In using blood for common use, it would have little significance in sacrificial purposes. It was meant to be set apart for holy uses, and that life in the blood is intended for atonement. It would be defiling of the meaning of blood atonement if we used it in our daily life for everything.

So transfusions are out?

Upvote 0

JulieB67

Apr 21, 2020
Ohio US
✟150,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The food laws don't sem to have prevented John the Baptist from eating bugs

Actually locusts are considered clean according to Leviticus.

As for the food laws, I think God gave them for good health.

Pigs don't have sweat glands and the cooking process might not remove all the poisons. And shellfish are still bottom feeders and so on. But people have adjusted to eating them so much.

But I think they are still good to go by.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually locusts are considered clean according to Leviticus.

As for the food laws, I think God gave them for good health.

Pigs don't have sweat glands and the cooking process might not remove all the poisons. And shellfish are still bottom feeders and so on. But people have adjusted to eating them so much.

But I think they are still good to go by.

Nobody is going to take away my pork chops, bacon, clams, lobster, scallops, etc! These foods are both safe to eat and taste wonderful.

"What God has made clean, you must not consider ritually unclean!" Acts 10:15 and Acts 11:9

Upvote 0