Flyleaf Anyone?

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Flyleaf is definitely one of those bands that I plan on keeping my eye on. I'm very interested in how they will evolve or their musicial journey. It's not easy being a chick-fronted band outside the pop music and country music world/genres.

Upvote 0

ListenerFriendly

I Am My Own Adversary...
Mar 25, 2006
The Westward End Of An Eastbound Sh
Visit site
✟8,928.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's not easy being a chick-fronted band outside the pop music and country music world/genres.

True, yet they have quite a few fans. Her voice is incredible. I liked their debut yet it kind of lugged. All the guitar parts sounded the same and few songs really stood out. I think it lacked diversity and experimentation. Yet its time for a new album, and all we're getting right now is a deluxe edition, uhh re-releases. **sighs**

ROCK ON

Upvote 0

NightCrawler13

Veteran
May 13, 2006
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟9,466.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single

True, yet they have quite a few fans. Her voice is incredible. I liked their debut yet it kind of lugged. All the guitar parts sounded the same and few songs really stood out. I think it lacked diversity and experimentation. Yet its time for a new album, and all we're getting right now is a deluxe edition, uhh re-releases. **sighs**

ROCK ON
i know, this is why i dislike flyleaf, they havent gotten a new alubum...gah!

Upvote 0

swingnscream

Jan 25, 2004
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
It's better for a band to take their time writting a new cd and new songs, than for them to become another record-producing-machine in the music industry that lacks any personality, originality, or thought for that matter. Basically it's better to wait for something great, than to burn through tons of useless "I listened to it for month then threw away" cds/albums/records.
Give em a chance to evolve into something lovely. ...should they choose to do so.

Upvote 0

ListenerFriendly

I Am My Own Adversary...
Mar 25, 2006
Visit site
✟8,928.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's better for a band to take their time writting a new cd and new songs, than for them to become another record-producing-machine in the music industry that lacks any personality, originality, or thought for that matter. Basically it's better to wait for something great, than to burn through tons of useless "I listened to it for month then threw away" cds/albums/records.
Give em a chance to evolve into something lovely. ...should they choose to do so.

Very true, I always want artists to take their time to "churn" out something worthwhile. I mean mewithoutYou takes, on average, about two years to produce some of the best records in music history. U2 averages around four. The only point I was trying to make with the post is that I think rereleases are kind of being over-done. I like 'em sometimes, like FF5's... but generally they dissapoint.

ROCK ON

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NightCrawler13

Veteran
May 13, 2006
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟9,466.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
the weird thing is they Started out with 11 songs in the first album....and the Special edition has 17 songs...if they wrote new songs they could have just released a new album,.....the one thing i like about the band is they have a Guitarist Called Sameer :p....and i have indian blood....so its kinda cool....even though i look more hispanic than indian....

Upvote 0

swingnscream

Jan 25, 2004
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Too many times, the re-release have more to do with a new record company than the band. Although sometime it is a case where the band is in transition and they're just trying to keep their fans attention [and/or money] while they try & figure out a new sound or style... or something like that.
Of course, I don't know enough about Flyleaf to know what's actually going on, but I like a good surprise.

NightCrawler13 said:
the weird thing is they Started out with 11 songs in the first album....and the Special edition has 17 songs
I always find that to be a bit strange too. I thought that's why bands made EPs, because they don't have a complete cd but they have few new songs to record.?
Oh well, to each, their own.

The only point I was trying to make with the post is that I think rereleases are kind of being over-done. I like 'em sometimes, like FF5's... but generally they dissapoint.
I agree. Generally re-releases are lacking or disappointing, but I guess there must be something good about them because they sure seem popular these days. Again, I don't know why more bands don't do an EP instead of a cd re-release, but I guess I just don't understand that part of music marketing yet.

Upvote 0

ListenerFriendly

I Am My Own Adversary...
Mar 25, 2006
Visit site
✟8,928.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
^No Offense,^

But BarlowGirl is deff. pop! That's just what they are: a girl-only pop band. As far as plumb, she is now solo considering the band all left- so she's by herself as "Plumb." She is pretty good alt. rock with an evanessence twist.

AND MAY RAW ROCK KILL YOU FOREVER AND EVER, AMEN.

Upvote 0

NightCrawler13

Veteran
May 13, 2006
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟9,466.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
^No Offense,^

But BarlowGirl is deff. pop! That's just what they are: a girl-only pop band. As far as plumb, she is now solo considering the band all left- so she's by herself as "Plumb." She is pretty good alt. rock with an evanessence twist.

pop rock actually, but i agree with you on Barlowgirl, ahem...you mean Evanescence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

swingnscream

Jan 25, 2004
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
No pop... they don't deserve "rock" :D!
they play their own guitar, so they can have credit for being called rock [pop rock, yes]. If they made somebody else play their music and took all the credit & glory for it, then they'd offically be pop divas. ...but not yet.

Upvote 0

NightCrawler13

Veteran
May 13, 2006
Nova Scotia, Canada
✟9,466.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
they play their own guitar, so they can have credit for being called rock [pop rock, yes]. If they made somebody else play their music and took all the credit & glory for it, then they'd offically be pop divas. ...but not yet.
Well Plumb is Pop rock for sure, no doubts, but im not Agreeing with listenerfriendly, though i am very tempted to, i have to say even though i hate them, they do have a few( just a few) good riffs on a few of their songs....so they are pop rock i supose....:|

Upvote 0

ListenerFriendly

I Am My Own Adversary...
Mar 25, 2006
Visit site
✟8,928.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sure, they have a few good riffs... but that doesn't really qualify them to deserve the title :D! I'll just keep arguing, he he! Its so darn fun to act right!

No, of course plumb is pop-rock. But she is so in a more artful, literate sense. They way she addresses issues such as substance abuse, "cutting," lost love, and even hope is incredible . She infuses a bit of hope into the mix with her vocal skills. Her "love" songs tend to flow together as cliched, murky pool of emotions. Nevertheless, she has good material. She will probably never surpass her debut in greatness, though. Lyrically her latest lacked ever so slightly.

Upvote 0