Visit site
✟1,357,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The meme on social media reads this: “It’s not our job to fix people; it’s our job to love them even while they are broken.” DaveWillis.org.

But is that true? I believe it is not. So, let’s look at some Scripture verses on that subject, shall we?

Are We to Fix People?

In Ephesians 4:1-16 we read that we, as Christians, are to speak the truth in love, one to the other, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes, but so that the body of Christ grows and builds itself up in love to maturity in Christ Jesus, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, as each part does its work.

And in Ephesians 5:17-21 and in Colossians 3:16 we read that we are to let the word of Christ dwell in us richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And in Hebrews 3:13 we are instructed that we are to “exhort one another every day, as long as it is called ‘today,’ that none of you may be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.”

And in Hebrews 10:23-25 we read that we are to “consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” And this word “encourage” means to exhort, to urge, to strongly encourage with a holy urging, as well as it can mean to uplift and to cheer. And stirring one another to love and good works may also require some holy urging and exhorting with true biblical counsel.

Then we read in Galatians 6:1: “Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.” And in James 5:19-20 we read: “My brothers, if anyone among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from his wandering will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.”

[Ephesians 4:1-16; Ephesians 5:17-21; Colossians 3:16; Hebrews 3:13; Hebrews 10:23-25; Galatians 6:1; James 5:19-20]

Now, it is true that it is God who changes human hearts. We can make no one do what we believe they ought to do. But we are certainly to be urging them and counseling them and teaching and instructing and exhorting and encouraging them in the ways of holiness and godliness, and against the ways of wickedness and sinful addiction. And we are to help them to healing, and to restoration and to walks of obedience to our Lord, if they are willing, and if they will cooperate with us in doing what they ought to do.

Our Job to Love Them

And then think with me for a moment of the words in the second half of that meme. So, first off he says that it is not our job to fix people, which is contrary to what these Scriptures teach. But then he says that it is our job to love them, as though trying to help people to get better is not loving them? That is the implied message here, you know, that if we try to help repair people’s broken lives, we are not loving them. But if we ignore their brokenness, and we let them remain broken, that is loving them.

Do you see the wrongness of what is being taught in this meme? But this is the message which is being taught today, and not just in this one meme, and not just in memes, in general, but in sermons, and in movies, and in videos, and in devotionals, and in gospel presentations, etc. The message is strong that we are not to interfere in other people’s lives, even if we can see clearly that they are drowning. We are not to try to save them. For that is not being loving. But being loving is accepting them in their sinful conditions and ignoring their spiritual brokenness.

Now I will concede here that there are people who go about this the wrong way. For they make false judgments based on personal prejudices or whatever, and so they end up trying to fix things which are not broken, and they end up falsely accusing people of things they did not do, and they enter into situations uninvited where they have no knowledge of the situation, and so they only succeed in making matters much worse. And they end up hurting people instead of helping them. So this calls for much spiritual discernment. We must be led of the Spirit in this, for sure.

So, if you are going to try to help someone to freedom or to healing of some kind, know the facts of the situation first. Be a good listener and don’t make quick judgments, especially ones based on your own personal prejudices, or ones based on your own self. Don’t falsely accuse people of what they did not do based on your own feelings on the subject (example: Job’s friends). Be fair. Be kind. Be thoughtful. And ask questions instead of making assumptions. And don’t judge by your own standards, but by the Word of God and in truth. And pray before you do anything!

Oh, to Be Like Thee, Blessed Redeemer

Lyrics by Thomas O. Chisholm, 1897
Music by W. J. Kirkpatrick, 1897

Oh, to be like Thee! blessèd Redeemer,
This is my constant longing and prayer;
Gladly I’ll forfeit all of earth’s treasures,
Jesus, Thy perfect likeness to wear.

Oh, to be like Thee! full of compassion,
Loving, forgiving, tender and kind,
Helping the helpless, cheering the fainting,
Seeking the wandering sinner to find.

O to be like Thee! lowly in spirit,