Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I just got my fishing licence for freshwater and saltwater. So anyways, the past few days, I went with my dad to a canal near my home.

I know that there are Peacock Bass there as well as the Largemouth Bass. But according to the FWC guide sheet on the canal that I fished in, the canal also has tilapia, cichlids, Oscars, and even snook and tarpon.
I used my spinnerbait but I lost it. I also used a 1/16 jig with a pumpkinseed grub attached to it, aiming to catch Mayan Cichlids and panfish. But I'm not sure if I'm doing the jig properly.
I fished in the shoreline reeds near the bridge, which is supposed to be an excellent area to where fish thrive in. But I know one problem is that my dad and I go there too late, even though Peacock Bass are said to be more active during the afternoon.
Any tips on how to increase my chances of getting a bite on a jig? How do I properly use a jig?
Anyone who used a jig for bluegill and bream before might have helpful answers to my question. Thanks.

Attachments

• P_20180530_111257.jpg
    P_20180530_111257.jpg
    758.7 KB · Views: 3
  • P_20180530_111257.jpg
    P_20180530_111257.jpg
    758.7 KB · Views: 2

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I caught a Japanese beetle and put it on a #8 hook and weighted the line by tying on a small stick. I tossed it out away from the shore. The beetle was floating on the water moving its legs. I soon caught a bluegill.

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jigs are very versatile.
Do you have access to a bait shop or a place to dig worms in a garden?
Bluegill can't resist a good old live worm. The easiest way is with a bobber and plain hook or a small jig tipped with part of a worm.
Bluegill will bite on moving artificial small jigs and plastic, but are much more aggressive with live bait.

Upvote 0

Stone Axe

Jul 6, 2018
Kentucky
✟16,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The best way to use a jig is with hair ,fur or feathers. Just use thread to keep it on. Any hair will work.. your own, a dog or even faux fur you can find in crafts departments.. When reeling go slow and just pop the rod a bit every now and then. Google fly tying, just use jigs instead of an unweighted hook.
Twisttail grubs work well , I either reel them steady or let it sit on bottom a bit and bounce it a bit, just like the little fish do..pay attention to the size of the baitfish and how they act,essentially your mimicking prey. When nothing works pick a grub the color of the sky and water mixed as if melting two crayons together.

For bluegill I like the rooster tail myself in the color "Claudia".

Rod matters too, its what imparts the action and the line effects even more..for bottom jigging I like 10-20lb Braid on a medium action ugly stick or other composite rod but for everything else panfish, trout and medium sized bass related I like 6-8lb copolymer on a medium light graphite rod.

But, the most bites will be found using an ultralight rod and 2-4lb monofilament.

Upvote 0

SaintCody777

The young, curious Berean
Jan 11, 2018
Miami, Florida
✟53,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I came back to the canal today, and went downstream to a bend. I finally caught a couple of cichlids today. One was 12 inches long, the other was about 9 1/2 inches long. I caught them on dough balls made from bread from Panera bakery.
P_20180714_121623.jpg

P_20180714_115958_1.jpg

Not to mention that before I caught this catfish using a leftover pancake from a McDonald's breakfast meal I had this morning. I had a sausage egg and cheese McGriddle. So I decided to leave over some of the McGriddle to catch the catfish because of the smell of the pancake buns. And alas, my plan worked.This catfish will be the very first fish I would ever clearly remember that I caught in my life!
P_20180714_113841.jpg

Upvote 0

Stone Axe

Jul 6, 2018
Kentucky
✟16,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
sweet! Food we eat generally does work. I remember using corn and such when I was a kid and still use strips of chicken breast when night fishing. Wild berries work too, I learned that by watching fish eating wild strawberries that had fallen in the creek from an undercut bank.

I'm happy for you, it's encouraging to myself as an angler. Over the years I have seen less Fisher people than I did growing up.

The greatest advice I can give you is what my dad told me. "Look at the creek (any fishing area) and imagine it's just a big aquarium." Where would they be if you was peering into the side of a fish tank? That's likely where they'll be in their natural tank.

I wish you well in your fishing endeavours and from experience, the more you learn about fish themselves, will make using artificial and homemade baits easier and more rewarding.

Upvote 0