*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Joe:

The important thing to understand is that your search process in no way commits you to anything. You could even take the RCIA classes, and decline at the end.

I've heard about some faiths (the LDS church, for one) who put a great deal of pressure on the outsiders to be baptized, and join their church. People start out taking "Bible classes" with the evangelists, and one day wake up as a member of that church.

It's been my experieince, and also that of people I know, when you are investigating the Catholic faith, no pressure is placed upon you whatsoever. If anything, you must do the convincing to the priest that your heart tells you to become Catholic.

Just go and learn, Hon.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Souljah:

I'm sure you will also at some time in the future, have a private heart-to-heart with the priest, and he's going to ask you, "Why do you want to become a Catholic?"

I recall when you first started visiting the boards here at CF. Your interest in Catholicism was sort of a default position, that you wanted to present a unified faith to your children.

I'm willing to bet that original reason wouldn't fly if you tried to present it now.

Your awakening to Catholicism has been a true wonder to behold. May God continue to bless you on your journey.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

(Lord have mercy! KC's gonna have a fit, because I said, "Journey.")

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by Nilhil Obstat
Joe -

A good friend of mine and fellow covert went throught the inquiry piece at least 3 times before he went on to convert.

We also had a lot of people just checking things out who presented some very good questions. Who knows, you may be the one to ask a question someone was thinking of but was afraid to ask.

Good luck.
'

I just keep getting this nagging sensation that I'll be coerced into doing something I'm not ready to do, like they'll pull a guilt trip on me or something. I know, I know, that's lame because it doesn't happen like that, but it still worries me. :sigh:

But I like that you said that guy did it 3 times. I think that before I would even begin to consider conversion, I'd have to see the whole Catholic year and all the holy days and stuff first, to see what it's all about.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for helping me know they're not going to try to force me into anything. I'm really cautious, and EXTREMELY paranoid sometimes, and my feelings get carried away. I'm just going to take a few steps and see if I like it. I have this complex where I think I'm supposed to leap into action gung-ho, ready to take on the world and blast a path across the face of the Earth, which usually ends up scaring the heck out of me... but I'm really trying not to do that right now. I go way too fast with just about everything, and when conflicting ideas come up, WHAM. I'm trying to restrain myself so that when I have questions and stuff, I won't go catapulting into psycho-turbo-mode. :D

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by s0uljah
Joe, if they dont, I will! I will hunt you down and make you eat the DEATH COOKIE!!!! MWAAHAHAHAHAH

/evil Catholic mode off

:)

Aye caramba! You just conjured up images of "Indy" and the "Temple of Doom" in my head. lol :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We had our first two inquirers for the season at church tonight; college-age young lady and her boyfriend. :) They asked some pretty good questions, too; wanted to know what the meaning was of the word "Eucharist", and the guy wanted to know exactly where Jesus went after His crucifixion for three days. I had to go into the concept of Sheol, but I think he got it okay. :)

Tomorrow night we have another meeting with some different folks. I'm giving a small speech on the importance of the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Hopefully it'll be a little larger group. Tonight it was just the two inquirers, the OCIA director, one of our deacons, and me. :eek:

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by VOW
Woo HOO JOE!!

/me uploads confetti, streamers, balloons...

/me toots whistles, bangs drums, honks horns...

YAY JOE!

(make sure we get details tomorrow!!)

Peace,
~VOW

Sorry VOW, I can't wait till tomorrow. ;)

Well, tonight was a beginning. We have a tiny parish here, and there's only two people in inquiry, me, and another lady whose husband is a member. There were four, count 'em, FOUR teachers there, and I was the only one because the lady couldn't make it tonight! Talk about pressure... But I wasn't completely afraid. Don't get me wrong, I was very scared, but the ladies were nice to me.(there were three ladies and one guy) They all shared their faith "journey"(KC!) with me and the other teachers. I shared mine with them as well. They gave me a set of lessons, a magazine, and their numbers, and such. We had a little lesson right after we had talked about each other's faiths, but I'll tell you what... the thing I liked the most was just talking to them about their faith experiences. I liked the lesson, but I liked talking to them more. Afterward, we got to eat cookies and cheese danishes... mmmmm. And then we just sat down and talked about college, and everybody's granddaughters, and just about anything that happened to be going on in their lives. I really liked that... this is hurting my heart right now... I don't get that kind of thing, guys. There's sometimes that I don't feel like a person, a human being. So long... it's been so long, in the dark, not having this. I don't know, maybe it's not just a Catholic thing, and I know it isn't. And although I didn't get to talk my heart to them like I wanted, I still got to be with them, and have a chance to feel human. I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to write this in with what I was going to say, but this just lays so heavily on my heart. I need people to love me, to let me feel like a real person. :sigh: Anyways, enough doom and gloom... I liked the first meeting. I wish the other lady had been there, because she is a baptist, and I think I would have liked talking to her. I've got some little books I can read, if I ever get a chance with as hard a time as I'm having with classes. Oh well, I can at least read the lesson every week. Today was an introduction, and to be honest, I kind of wanted more. I was like, "ok, when do we get to talk about the real stuff?!", lol. I was all ready to bust out with stuff like, "hey! I recite the Rosary dude!" lol. Funny thing is I was kind of ashamed to say something like that, because I felt like I wasn't "worthy" to tell I did that, since I'm not a Catholic and all. Oh, and before they prayed, they all did the sign of the cross, and you'll have to imagine, thinking in my shoes now... NOT knowing that they actually do this sort of thing outside of mass, lol. It totally caught me off guard... I was like, "AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!". But it was ok at the end, because we just stood up and said the Lord's Prayer together, and that made me feel good, because I know that one and I got to say it too.(awww) Well, I guess I'll stop now and let you ask questions if you want to, because my brain is dry, lol.

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good for you, Joe. :) None of them even stuck you with a pitchfork, or anything??? LOL. Wow, you got lucky. ;)

We had Pecan Sandies, Coke, and apple juice at our meeting tonight. I had water, being a low-cal kind of guy.
I'm sorry guys, I didn't mean to write this in with what I was going to say, but this just lays so heavily on my heart.
Good heavens, Joe, you have nothing to apologize for. :) Did it ever occur to you that maybe that's why God has you here in the first place? He wants to send you comfort because He cares for you---and maybe this is the best place for you to find it. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To Joe:

I think it's sweet. It's wonderful the warmth and the fellowship all those people showed you. No pressure at all, right?

As for your feeling that you wanted MORE, well, maybe that's the whole idea! I remember my Inquiry class. I came to every session, with questions, questions, and MORE questions. I even asked Fr Louis for book recommendations. I felt like I'd been thirsty my entire life, and I had finally crawled across the burning desert sands to the oasis. I couldn't GET enough. At one meeting, Fr Louis brought a knapsack. He set it down like Santa would put his big bag at his feet, and began reaching inside.

The BIGGEST book was for ME!

Blessings to you on your search, Joe!

Peace,
~VOW

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
I felt like I meant something. I know that sounds silly, but a lot of the time, I feel like I'm just not that consequential. I feel like my feelings and my beliefs, and my ideas don't mean anything. I feel like an old tempered violin, collecting dust, lost to time, packed away in some family's attic somewhere. I don't get many chances to play my soul for people. I don't get many chances to feel human. Goodness, there I go repeating myself again. I'm bad about that. Well, I guess that's good for the Rosary though. Sometimes I wish I could say the Rosary forever. It really hurts my heart when people try to shoot it down, because they're basically shooting holes in my heart. "How can Catholics pray to Mary?!" Argh... well well, I guess I pray to Mary too. Bah... I'm weary of this world. If I didn't have my God, I wouldn't have any life to go on with. And now that I've found my mother Mary, goodness, I don't know how I went without her for so long. I've missed her so! And I didn't even know it. There's something in her femaleness, her mother's love, that is incredible to me. She is the embodiment of nurturing love. To think, this little teenager... she is my mother, and Jesus'... she held the baby in her arms and cuddled Him to sleep at night. I need that. I need her now and always. And I can't necessarily thump this out of Scripture, and I don't need to. I know this like I know not to touch a hot stove. I think some things we just know in our soul, and don't need a doctoral thesis proof for... and this thing, is love.

Upvote 0

KC Catholic

Everybody's gone surfin'...Surfin' U.S.A
Feb 5, 2002
Overland Park, KS
✟21,887.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Originally posted by humblejoe
journey"(KC!) 

See...JOURNEY pops up everywhere! Every time the kids hear the word 'journey' at Mass they all turn and smile at me.

Joe....I was so touched by your experience tonight. We all love you very much and Jesus loves you. He is comforting your and leading you. And no matter what comes of your inquiry, you'll have gained some new Christian friends and been surrounded by love.

You are in my prayers, and know that we all love and care about you here. You are human - you are God's creation and he is proud of his work in you.

Peace and joy!

KC

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
Well, here's how my second class went...

Our lesson went over the Nicene Creed. It went through and described how the Catholic Church interpreted every phrase. The first question was, "What phrase or quality of God first comes to your mind?" I said, "His Sovereignty".(darn Calvinism! :D ) Anyways, we talked all about it and looked at some Scriptures. I used my own Bible, and they said that was ok. I use the NASB, and the teachers have said that it is a very good translation.(below the New Jerusalem, of course... :rolleyes: :D ) At the start of class, we also each got a Rosary, because of a feast or holy day that was going on... I can't remember which. It's got brown spherical wooden beads, a slender crucifix, and a "cut-out" image of Mary medal. The other girl doing Inquiry(she's the only other one) is really nice. She's a few years older than me, and she's married with a baby.(awww) And guess what?! Her baby's name is the same as mine! hehe... Her husband comes to the meetings too. BTW, she is a Baptist, and he is a Catholic. Her husband, hmmm... he's a just a bit younger than... s0uljah! lol! Oh boy... well, we had a good time talking. While her husband talked to the nice lady after class, I talked to her. She's really nice. I felt like she could be a part of my family or something. Her baby(almost 2) is cute too! While I was trying to get some more refreshments, he walked(waddled?!) into the little kitchen alongside me and grabbed my pantleg for balance.(awww! hehe) A sign, you say? I will become a husband and father soon you say? Yes, yes, I know these things, and I will keep and treasure them in my heart, lol.(just like Mary!) BTW, I've been praying about finding "that special girl". This is just a hint of a premonition of an insight of an answer to prayer maybe, but I think that that time is growing closer. :) But anyways, back to what I was saying. Oh yeah, they had some miniature chocolate frosted, creme filled eclairs! Mmmmmmm... melt in your mouth goodness. I think it's really neat to have just me and the other girl in the class. I think we will be able to be really close "family" to each other. I feel like I have a new family now. Well, I think that's about it. Oh, the lady also said that we cshould feel free to open up to each other, esp since we're so small, because she said that anything we shared about our hearts would be kept confidential. She's a really nice teacher. Ok, I'll talk some more later. Ask questions if you want to! Ta-ta for now...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.