Temi Tempah

Jul 24, 2015
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey guys,

I came across Christian Forums a few weeks ago cause I just needed to vent a little bit and get some answers from other Christians.

I'm going through a really confusing period in my life. I'm 22. About to graduate from my second degree. Well, that's if I pass my re-takes. I just got my exam results back yesterday, and I failed half of my exams :'( re-takes are ending of this month. I just feel like breaking down. I just don't know what to do anymore.

This morning I was thinking back to the New Year service at my Church this year. At my Church we pray into the new year. I prayed so hard... I prayed for a closer relationship with God. I prayed for a boyfriend. I prayed for a sense of direction. I prayed for a job. I prayed for God to let me know what his purpose for my life was. I prayed about my exams and my law conversion course.

We're half way through the year, and so far.....nothing. I just don't know what to do. I'm praying as much as I can. Maybe i'm not praying hard enough? I don't know. Its this desperation that brought me to CF in the first place. Cause i'm worried that i'm losing my faith. And I feel so guilty when I think things like this because I know there are people out there with worse problems... But I don't think i'm asking for much.

Ok maybe its not the right time for me to have a boyfriend. And although I prayed about my exams, I don't think I worked as hard as I could have, so maybe thats my fault. But what about a sense of direction for my life??? I've been praying about that the hardest. Cause I don't want to just sit at home doing nothing. I actually want to be proactive but I don't know where to begin. I did this law course out of pressure from my mum and I don't even want to be a lawyer.

I just feel like my life is all over the place. And lately i've been feeling kind of distant from God. But I don't want to be! I bought Power of a Praying Woman and Lead Me Holy Spirit by Stormie Omartian. But lately I don't even feel like reading them. I just feel so frustrated. And I know Gods time is the best but.... I don't know. I feel like even if he doesn't give me the things I ask for, surely he'd answer my prayers about wanting a better relationship with him. I've been praying to hear Gods voice for ages and I still haven't. Wouldn't he want me to hear his voice??

Right now I honestly have tears in my eyes cause I don't know what to do. And I just remember all the stories people tell me about how God did great things in their lives. Miraculous things. And i'm like...why not me? Theres these group of girls who I fellowshipped with once, and we're all similar ages. And they were all talking about the first time they heard Gods voice. Or testimonies like how God spoke to them about what was coming up in an exam and those were the questions that came up. Or this one girl who thought she'd messed up really bad in her exams but after praying, at the last minute she got into the university she wanted. And i'm just sitting there thinking....great. When will it be my turn? And I feel so guilty because God has indeed been faithful to me and my family. And I know I should count my blessings... I just don't want to be sad anymore. I want to be happy and I want to hear him and I want to be confident in his love for me and all those things!

Sorry about the long rant. I know my thoughts are all over the place. I just needed to get some things off my chest I guess...

KWCrazy

Apr 13, 2009
Bowling Green, KY
✟82,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you expecting God to change your life or your circumstance?
The Lord can give you inner peace. the rest is up to you. It is telling that you don't want to be a lawyer and yet there you are, struggling with the exams. Maybe God doesn't want you to be a lawyer either because He wants you to be happy in what you do. Jonah knew no peace until He finally did as the Lord told him to do. Then his ministry saved thousands. Maybe what you need to do is find the thing that makes you happy; that you can be passionate about. Do what you love and you'll be much happier. Your mother decided how to life her life. You get to decide how to live yours.

I used to pray before exams, not so God would help me pass but for the peace to help me relax so I could recall the correct answers. It worked for me. Try this. Just pray to God and don't as for anything. Just tell Him how much you love Him and appreciate all the gifts He's given you. Ask Him to take the first place in your life. Everything else will fall into line. No matter what career path you take, serving the Lord is the most rewarding way to do so.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
.... I actually want to be proactive but I don't know where to begin. I did this law course out of pressure from my mum and I don't even want to be a lawyer....

I get the sense you are a bit of a passive person and maybe a little bit of a doormat? I mean, you are 22 years old and you don't yet have the courage to decide the courses you are going to take? That is a big deal. Taking a course you don't even want to take because your mom "pressured" you into it says a lot about the type of person you are.

I don't claim to be an authority on God, but speaking for myself, God has never granted anything to me when it was in my power to do those things for myself.

God is not a genie. God is not a leprechaun who grants wishes.

God helps me help myself. God helps give me the strength and courage to persevere. God will often show me the way but it is up to me to get there...

If you want a boyfriend, then go get one. Yes, find a guy that you like and make him pursue you using all the female jedi mindtricks you women have perfected since the dawn of time :)

If you want a closer relationship with God, then I suggest doing God's work. Volunteer to help those who are unfortunate. Love thy neighbor. Love thy enemy. Make the world a better place. Bring the Gospel to those who need it. Help those in need. Do those things and I guarantee you will feel a closer relationship with God.

Basically, be PROACTIVE. Stop being passive, stop being a pushover... take control. Take Control. TAKE CONTROL.

God helps those whom help themselves...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tess

Not a tame Lion
Jan 12, 2015
England
✟10,899.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like you're going through a tough moment. I know sometimes we can get overwhelmed and it feels like everything is going wrong.

I'm sure you'll feel differently soon; life isn't so bad! You'll be fine.

You are capable Philippians 4:13
You are a child of God John 1:12
You are loved Jeremiah 31:3
You are safe 2 Thessalonians 3:3

Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟17,755.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I prayed for a boyfriend [...] Ok maybe its not the right time for me to have a boyfriend.

It's perfectly acceptable to pray for companionship and a future spouse. I pray for a girlfriend all the time, regardless of whether or not I deem it "the right time."

"Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!" [Matthew 7:9-11]

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear TemiTempah. Jesus gave us good advice: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself." Matthew 22: 35-40:
In verse 40: we are told this great truth: " on these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets."
We ask for Love and Joy, ( Matthew 7: 7-10: tells us: " ask and you shall receive") then we thank God and share all love and joy with our neighbour: all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends. We keep asking and receiving,
then thank God and share all love and joy with our neighbour.
God sees our loving efforts, and God will bless us. The Holy Spirit will help and guide us, and Jesus our Saviour will lead us all the way: JESUS IS THE WAY. We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us and carry on loving and caring, always with friendly words, or a smile if we are too shy for many words. The Bible tells us: " Repent and be Born Again." We leave all selfishness behind, and start loving and caring, and we will find that people will treat us the same as we treat people. To smile is not hard, and words will follow. Keep Loving God with heart, soul, and mind, and treat others as you would love to be treated. God will be with you, and with God on our side, who or what else can be against us? I say this with love, TemiTempah. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

DabriaShae

Let go and let love.
Jul 26, 2015
✟10,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The Lord can give you inner peace. the rest is up to you.

I love this.

It truly is up to you. One of my favorite analogies of all time goes along the lines of this: if you have a sink full of dirty dishes, don't pray and sit around waiting for God to do them, take the initiative and do them yourself. We are meant to do things on our own, we were given free will for a reason.

To pass your exams, study hard and get tutoring if you need it. To starting dating someone, go to mixers and social events where you can mingle with others who feel the same way. To have inner peace over these things, pray. Gain your confidence! Find a counselor or therapist who will help you learn how to be more assertive.

Just because God is the God of the universe, doesn't mean you get to sit back and watch Him work. You need to get out there, too!

I'm am so sure that you will find yours ready ground- your solid rock- in Christ. You need to get out there and do things for yourself though. Please, don't sit back and hope for God to do everything for you.

Reactions: Unix
Upvote 0