First mention of the "Kingdom of God" in the bible?

pinkieposies

Nov 18, 2005
✟724.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
dslc1000 said:
According to BibleGateway.com, it seems to be in the Book of Matthew.
dslc1000 said:
Is the term not used in the old testament?

Many times, the farthest back I can find right now is here:

All thy works wil praise thee, O Lord; and they saints shall bless Thee. They shall speak of the glory of Thy kingdom, and talk of Thy power; To make known to the sons of men his mighty acts, and the glorious majesty of His kingdom. Thy kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and thy dominion endureth all generations.
{Psalm 145:10-13}

But I am sure there are many more! :) What I suggest is getting your hands on a very good concordance {Mine is "The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible; It's pretty good. It also has interlinear translations for a ton of important chapters and verses in the Bible, and a Greek and Hebrew dictionary in the back for many words found in the Bible.} It will help you SO MUCH in your studies! :thumbsup:

God Bless,
Erin

Upvote 0

ischus

ΙΣΧΥΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΜΗ
Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
✟3,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Be sure to not only search for the word "kingdom" but also "King" and "reign" and other related words. The Kingdom of God is a very rich OT theme. You may even find that it goes back to the very beginning, as seen in the creation account of Gen.1. For instance, the image of God (Gen.1:26) is spoken of in the context of human dominion and rule over the earth--i.e. one aspect of being created in God's image is that, as rulers over the earth, we are representatives (images) of the true King and ruler of the earth. The image of God speaks to the Kingdom of God.

I am not saying that this is THE overarching theme of the Bible, but it is definitely a significant motif in both the OT and the NT. :)

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
dslc1000 said:
According to BibleGateway.com, it seems to be in the Book of Matthew.
Is the term not used in the old testament?

Daniel 7
15 " I, Daniel, was grieved in my spirit within [my] body, and the visions of my head troubled me. 16 "I came near to one of those who stood by, and asked him the truth of all this. So he told me and made known to me the interpretation of these things: 17 'Those great beasts, which are four, [are] four kings [which] arise out of the earth. 18 'But the saints of the Most High shall receive the kingdom, and possess the kingdom forever, even forever and ever.'

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Upvote 0