United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Now that term is considered either racist or politically incorrect. :sigh:

Most of the language, jokes, stories, cartoons, and advertisements from that era are now "racist" or "politically incorrect".

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Now that term is considered either racist or politically incorrect. :sigh:
We played that in the 90s at school. We also sat Indian style and didn't like Indian givers.

I bet those terms aren't kosher anymore.

Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
We played that in the 90s at school. We also sat Indian style and didn't like Indian givers.

I bet those terms aren't kosher anymore.
Yep. We played "army" and "cowboys and indians" quite a bit when I was a kid in the 60s and 70s. My how times have changed.

Wish we would have had all those cool Nerf guns back then. We used cap guns and those bow and arrows with the suction cups on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As to the OP, age appropriateness for firearms training varies by child.

In my case, I don't have kids, but my 4yo nephew is over a lot. He sees my guns on the wall, far out of his reach. He sometimes asks about them and knows not to touch them. "Not for kids." he says. In a few years I'll take him out to the woods to learn how to shoot a BB gun. By 10, I intend to take him hunting rabbits and squirrels with a single shot shotgun.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

GeorgeJ

<Insert Custom Title Here>
Jul 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟70,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married

In my case, I don't have kids, but my 4yo nephew is over a lot. He sees my guns on the wall, far out of his reach. He sometimes asks about them and knows not to touch them. "Not for kids." he says. In a few years I'll take him out to the woods to learn how to shoot a BB gun. By 10, I intend to take him hunting rabbits and squirrels with a single shot shotgun.
I've got a six year old grandson that'll be about "real gun" shooting age soon. I don't want to take him to the range until he's mentally mature enough to stay focused on what he's doing around firearms.

I've already taken him out to the backyard to shoot pellet pistols at plastic bottles.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

One thing I noticed about myself when growing up was that something was more cool and desirable when I was told that I was never allowed to have something. It wasn't until I got into adulthood that I got access to firearms. Until then, firearms were always a fascination to me since I only got to see them on TV and in the movies. Handling the real thing gave me a far more realistic view of them. I often wish I had gotten a more realistic view of them earlier in life.

Upvote 0

PRESIDIO

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2011
USA
Visit site
✟60,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
The majority of accidents occur from negligent discharges as a result of poor firearms handling whether from children or adults. I started my son at age 5 not shooting, but learning how to handle firearms safely. At 5, he knew the four basic firearms rules better than most adults.

(1) Treat every gun as if were loaded.
(2) Never point the gun at anything you are not willing to destroy, including yourself.
(3) Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until ready to fire.
(4) Know your targets foreground and background.

Some parents choose to have a gun for protection but do not want their kids around the gun at all and will go to great lengths to hide it from them. One thing I have found for certain with kids, if you think its hidden its not and if you tell them not to do something they will do it. If you train them early it takes out the mystique and curiosity about firearms and they will become safe and lifelong handlers of those firearms.

Mastery of these four firearm safety rules are critical for every level of shooter and every scenario. Whether you are beginner at a shooting range or a member of a SWAT team clearing a house while issuing a high risk warrant. The majority of accidents occur when someone has their finger parked on the trigger and they have swept the muzzle of a firearm across their own body part (e.g. their foot which is a very common place that people shoot themselves) or someone elses body parts. Guns don't just go off they require manipulation. Most importantly, if you are going to buy a firearm get trained. If you are not willing to do this, then you probably shouldn't buy one. Not only should you train the children but make sure the adults are trained as well; otherwise its the blind leading the blind. If you have poor firearms handling skills you will pass it on to your kids. As the late Jeff Cooper (founder of Gunsite) used to say, "Buying a gun and thinking you are armed is like buying a piano and thinking you are a musician."

Last edited:
Upvote 0