Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In mammals (all multicellular, sexually reproducing animals, really), one of the first steps in fertilization is the binding of the membrane of the sperm's acrosome to the zona pellucida (the 'shell') of the ovum. Those who understand cellular biology will understand that such binding requires a certain amount of specificity - that is, this binding is not arbitrary. Horse sperm acrosomes bind to horse zonae pellucidae. Mouse sperm acrosomes bind to mouse ovum zonae pellucidae. And so on. I first learned this in the embryology class I took in graduate school. So imagine my interest when I came across the following paper. I have emphasized the interesting parts:

Anat Rec. 1977 Aug;188(4):477-87.
Sperm/egg interaction: the specificity of human spermatozoa.
Bedford JM.
Abstract
Human spermatozoa display unusually limited affinities in their interaction with oocytes of other species. They adhered to and, when capacitated, penetrated the vestments of the oocyte of an ape--the gibbon, Hylobates lar--both in vivo and in vitro. On the other hand, human spermatozoa would not even attach to the zona surface of sub-hominoid primate (baboon, rhesus monkey, squirrel monkey), nor to the non-primate eutherian oocytes tested. Among the apes the gibbon stands furthest from man. Thus, although the specificity of human spermatozoa is not confined to man alone, it probably is restricted to the Hominoidea. This study also suggests that the evolution of man and perhaps the other hominids has been accompanied by a restrictive change in the nature of the sperm surface which has limited and made more specific the complementary surface to which their spermatozoa may adhere. For the failure of human spermatozoa to attach to the zona surface of all non-hominoid oocytes stands in contrast to the behaviour of spermatozoa of the several other mammals studied which, in most combinations, adhered readily to foreign oocytes, including those of man. Taxonomically, the demonstration of a compatibility between the gametes of man and gibbon, not shared with cercopithecids, constitutes further evidence for inclusion of the Hylobatidae within the Hominoidea.
It is almost as if hominoids were very closely related such that they retain this ability...

Last edited:

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,948.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
In Dorset, in the south of England, lies Monkey World a rescue centre for primates that, despite the name focuses primarily on apes. In addition to the rescue and rehabilitation of primates inappropriately kept as pets, or abused in the entertainment industry, or discarded by laboratories, they have been active in promoting protective legislation by a variety of governments. I thoroughly recommend a visit to the centre if you live in the UK, or are on an extended visit. Ticket payments from visitors is an important part of their revenue stream, so I would think lockdown will have severely impacted them.

I hope that doesn't sound like a commercial plug. I just think it's a fascinating, and in many ways a moving place to visit. What prompted me to mention it was that one of the species I spent some time watching was a group of gibbons. I've seen documentaries of them leaping through trees in the wild, but seeing it first hand was remarkable. The combination of agility, strength and grace was intriguing and inspiring.

I'm delighted this research confirms their place as a (relatively) close relative. I'm very happy to have them as cousins and move we stop refering to them as Lesser Apes. :)

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
You think that's big news? Gibbons produced three viable offspring with human sperm.

upload_2021-7-19_13-50-31.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0