Female bodybuilders: Why the double standard?

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I did not want to hijack somebody else's thread so I am creating a new thread.

I'll keep it simple. As anyone who reads that thread can see: Making unkind comments about thin women = wrong. Making unkind comments about non-thin women = wrong.

But there is another group of women: female bodybuilders. And it never fails: people never seem to miss an opportunity to say something unkind about female bodybuilders and neither they nor their listeners/readers miss a beat.

Why the double standard?

benf

Christian
Dec 19, 2010
The Same Deep Water as You
✟15,870.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Because some people think that gender roles are becoming ancient history and can see the link between that and how our society is being pressured to accept everything and everyone.

Forgot to mention that this answer is largely Christian

The secular answer is because people are afraid of what is different and don't accept things too far removed from their reality as acceptable.

Upvote 0

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Because some people think that gender roles are becoming ancient history and can see the link between that and how our society is being pressured to accept everything and everyone.

I think that you misunderstood what I wrote.

People think that it is wrong to make unkind comments about the physiques of thin or non-thin women. But people seem to have no problem with anybody making unkind comments about the physiques of female bodybuilders. Why the double standard?

Upvote 0

Lord Herdsetk

What were they thinking?
Dec 4, 2010
Alabama
✟16,810.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Roids most definitely. I don't mind if a woman is more muscular than me. But if she's touting a square jaw with biceps and pecs that would make ahnuld blush, somethings going on.

I don't condone steroids unless its for a medical purpose. Taking roids to get buff, male or female, is gross. Just being honest. I really don't care if it makes me shallow, its not healthy =\

Upvote 0

Lord Herdsetk

What were they thinking?
Dec 4, 2010
Alabama
✟16,810.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Roids most definitely. I don't mind if a woman is more muscular than me. But if she's touting a square jaw with biceps and pecs that would make ahnuld blush, somethings going on.

I don't condone steroids unless its for a medical purpose. Taking roids to get buff, male or female, is gross. Just being honest. I really don't care if it makes me shallow, its not healthy =\

Upvote 0

benf

Christian
Dec 19, 2010
The Same Deep Water as You
✟15,870.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

People think that it is wrong to make unkind comments about the physiques of thin or non-thin women. But people seem to have no problem with anybody making unkind comments about the physiques of female bodybuilders. Why the double standard?

Because appearance is something everybody deals with, and women who take physical health as seriously or more than men are obviously freaks to be ridiculed for the entertainment of those who don't.

There really isn't a good answer besides "because it is cheap entertainment". The people who say them don't care. The people listening to them don't either, or know well enough to not bother correcting the judgmental thinking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well are the people making unkind comments about female body builders the same people that are saying that it's unkind to make derogatory comments about all weight? or are they people that just make fun of everyone?

The former.

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

It is not so much a double standard as showing that the ratio of people who'll mock and people who will not condone the mocking is skewed. The scenarios listed all have people who believe it is wrong to make unkind comments to ladies within those three categories, but the voice for those of the body builders is drowned out by the voice of those who recognise that in an attempt to be the best certain individuals use steroids to give them an edge. It happens in male body building (and is commented on) and it happens in female body building. Like with those who make the comment that very thin women may be starving themselves (in some cases it is valid, in some cases it isn't) and those who say fat women are obviously greedy and lazy (again sometimes valid, sometimes not) this happens with body building.

Again the difference is that whilst there are plenty of people around who can say "well, i'm thin and I don't starve myself, I find your comments offensive" or those who can say "those comments could negatively influence an insecure individual and therefore cause their eating disorder* to worsen as they delve into the only comfort they know" it can be harder to refute negative comments thrown out about female body builders just because they do not occur at the same frequency as fat/thin women in the general populace.

You also get those who will gladly make such comments because these women do not conform to the stereotype of how a woman should look. You get people making comments about women with the slightest bit of muscle definition so the body builders are pretty much a prime target for this sort of negativity. People generally do not like change, certain physical attributes may be mocked but they are considered normal enough for people to acknowledge that mocking them is ill-advised. If something is different from the norm people forget their manners and just go for the jugular, even nice people.

Not to pick on North America but sometimes the American tourists are a fair bit larger than individuals considered Fatty McFatties here, and by fair I mean much larger. Like with the body builders everyone forgets they're not supposed to pick on fat people and suddenly no one can stop staring/commenting/snickering because whilst they are used to fat individuals they are not used to fat individuals over a certain size. The fact they're a tourist helps, you add in the fact they're not part of the community (everyone hates the majority of tourists, even those whose businesses rely on them) and they are fair game.

Anyway.

Double standard? Maybe. If there were more female body builders in the general community then it would be less acceptable to mock them. Everyone acknowledges it is wrong to mock someone due to their ethnicity but if you are a Romani people forget themselves because you're fair game. Anything outside of what is understood and accepted by general society has heavily biased ratios when it comes to understanding what is acceptable and what isn't.

In regards to using steroids as an excuse for making negative comments ... if the comments are medical and express genuine concern over the effects the steroids have on the body then fair play. If they're used as an excuse to simply call them freaks and whatnot ... that's not cool people, just not cool.

Upvote 0

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

I'll keep it simple. As anyone who reads that thread can see: Making unkind comments about thin women = wrong. Making unkind comments about non-thin women = wrong.

But there is another group of women: female bodybuilders. And it never fails: people never seem to miss an opportunity to say something unkind about female bodybuilders and neither they nor their listeners/readers miss a beat.

Why the double standard?

I don't think it's a question of right or wrong... It's a matter of opinion of what you find attractive.

I don't like female bodybuilders. I don't find them attractive.

The same is true with overweight women. Does that mean I'm a bad person...? No.

It simply means I would not pursue or be interested in someone like that. I know my standards and go for what I want - not what others tell me to want.

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
I honestly think it's because it makes people uncomfortable because it blurs traditional gender roles.

Simply said and this.

Personally, I'm not attracted to females with biceps bigger than mine - lol - but I do admire those that work out. I know a woman in her late 60's/70's (I'm guessing, haven't asked, but she is getting up there) who wins alot of competitions around the world for weight lifting in her age bracket. She teaches lifting at schools and explains the physical benefits (bone/muscle) to both young an old. That's really cool, imo.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I hear what the OP is saying, but in truth, I'm not sure that there is a double standard. As far as the world is concerned, and sometimes the church, too, I think it's sadly a free for all, open season on anyone. Fat folks, thin folks, body builder chicks, and bodybuilder guys for that matter. Unregenerate humans are mean and selfish much of the time and they don't watch their mouths or think about the feelings of others.

Upvote 0

Keri

Jan 1, 2006
✟51,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Why the double standard?

I think that the thing to address is that we should not make unkind comments about ANYONE.

Reactions: Oddish
Upvote 0