mogwai

Apr 4, 2007
✟15,115.00
Faith
Humanist
What do people think of this?

the animal rights group PETA say feeding children meat is child abuse

I for one, am completely for a balanced diet - one which includes meat

I haven't got enough posts to allow me to link to the clip with the lady from PETA talking about it - but it is in the Health section at the website

it's an interesting concept for PETA but I think it's a bit radical and one that might just be done for column inches rather than for the good of the children

JBJoe

Apr 8, 2007
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
✟22,711.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What do people think of this?

the animal rights group PETA say feeding children meat is child abuse

I haven't got enough posts to allow me to link to the clip with the lady from PETA talking about it - but it is in the Health section at the website friction dot tv

it's an interesting concept for PETA but I think it's a bit radical and one that might just be done for column inches rather than for the good of the children

I find it interesting considering according to my kids, every time I feed them vegetables I am engaged in child abuse. I guess there is no way to win.

Upvote 0

JBJoe

Apr 8, 2007
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
✟22,711.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Okay, now that I've seen the clip, I'd say it is just another example of PETA being off their rocker. They neglect to mention the strong scientific support of eating lots and lots of fish. The longest lived people in the world eat a diet heavy in fish. The scientific reasons for this are still being developed, but it seems to have a lot to do with lean muscle and omega-3 fats.

They also neglect to mention that diabetes is linked to high sugar intake, and a diet rich in yams and potatoes is a risk factor for developing diabetes. The same is true for obesity. Breads and starches are a fine way to gain weight.

Pretty much all the "bad stuff" they mentioned is related to excessive consumption of fatty meats. If you're really concerned, stick to fish, chicken and turkey, a bit of ham and only the occasional steak or bacon. Your kids will be fine.

Upvote 0

outhwaar

Jul 27, 2006
Visit site
✟749.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
PETA is one of those organizations that could enjoy widespread support and do a lot of good if they would just get a little perspective. After all, who is not in favor of the ethical treatment of amnimals? But, the real problems that they occasionally draw attention to are drowned out by sensational and bizzare statements such as this one.

Upvote 0

Sign Of The Fish Burger

Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2003
✟58,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
PETA is one of those organizations that could enjoy widespread support and do a lot of good if they would just get a little perspective. After all, who is not in favor of the ethical treatment of amnimals? But, the real problems that they occasionally draw attention to are drowned out by sensational and bizzare statements such as this one.

I agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

65days

Apr 5, 2007
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In reference to this, did anyone see an episode of wife swap where there was a family who lived off their own land, and didnt cook their meat or clean their houses- that is surely killing your children? bringing them up to believe that raw chicken is ok! i don't know how they've not died yet!

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is the frustrating part about PETA.

Upvote 0

PoundingMetal

Apr 18, 2007
✟15,420.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
** Though I will note a balanced diet can be vegetarian-- and actually its better for you :)

Even though I am not (I love a good steak!), I find it very hard to argue against the fact that being a vegetarian is the heathest of eating habits. PETA is not all crazy (they do great by exposing very cruel treatment of animals), but stuff like this is just a stain on them.

Upvote 0

Theogonia

Jan 9, 2006
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
✟10,109.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Even though I am not (I love a good steak!), I find it very hard to argue against the fact that being a vegetarian is the heathest of eating habits. PETA is not all crazy (they do great by exposing very cruel treatment of animals), but stuff like this is just a stain on them.

Sometimes I wonder if PETA grossly exaggerates the treatment.

Upvote 0

Zoomer

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟12,330.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I do agree that in general Americans do eat too much meat, but I am not for the elimination of meat all together. Nor do I think giving a child meat is child abuse. There are steps to make meat healthier. We buy organic meat, eat small portions, and cook the meat in a way that will make it healthier (not charcoal grilling for example).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

icbeckyc

Mar 9, 2006
Texas
✟12,056.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
PETA does seem to take a concept to the edge. Child Abuse. lol Granted when my youngest till she was about 7 or 8 thought it was. Would only eat very lean meat while I was telling her she couldn't leave the table till 5 pieces were gone. Now she enjoys meat and will trim it up herself if too fatty. But I don't believe in eliminating any food from your diet other than candy and the such. All is needed but it's all about eating the right portions. Not all of one type of food.

Upvote 0

Mrs.Sidhe

Jan 11, 2005
East Central Georgia
✟5,040.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I wish PETA would get some perspective and just calm down. They have some good ideas (disection in High School, their don't wear fur campaign) and honestly I do agree that a vegetarian diet is better for you..

I totally disagree that feeding meat to a child is "abuse". Its not their kid anyway. They should mind their own business... PETA has gone way to far this time.

Upvote 0