Sep 4, 2016
Malaysia
✟47,272.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
John 21:15
So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.

What Jesus wants Peter to do?
What is "feed my lambs"?
If a Church just want the members to give tithe and offering,
and did not spend the money to do God's work,
does it feed the Lord's lamb?

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.

What is "feed my lambs"?
I think Jesus is telling Peter to show people the path to heaven. The money raised in the name of the Lord should be spent on the Lord's work.

Reactions: Willie T
Upvote 0

R. Hartono

Feb 2, 2018
Depok
✟22,935.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What is "feed my lambs"?
Acts 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common
45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.
46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Feed is verb, what is the object? = Lambs = saved believers
Feed with what? = "word of God"
Does it mean to take care of? = Mature them in Christ
I agree with what you have written; but perhaps it goes beyond merely preaching the Gospel. The other two responses from Jesus both tend to point to Peter being given the role of shepherd to the lambs. This is a supervisory role that includes care of many sorts as well as guidance, education, authority. To a Catholic, this is a proof text to show that when the Good Shepherd left, he gave care of his flock to Peter. I know that will not be your opinion; but it does seem to follow from these verses.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Peter and James and John as heads of the infant "CHURCH::
No problem!

Galatians 2:11
[ Peter (Cephas) Opposed by Paul ]
But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face

Mark 3:17
and James, the son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James (to them He gave the name Boanerges, which means, “Sons of Thunder”);

James 1 (NASB)
1 a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,

Matthew 13:55
Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary, and His brothers, James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?

"Apostolic succession"
lotsa problems!

Apostolic succession - Wikipedia

...some Protestants deny the need for this type of continuity, and the historical claims involved have been severely questioned by them...

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Peter and James and John as heads of the infant "CHURCH::
No problem!

Galatians 2:11
[ Peter (Cephas) Opposed by Paul ]
But when Cephas came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face
Good old Cephas. He was all over the map with his faith before the resurrection and though he seems to have improved with the coming of the Holy Spirit, he seemed to falter here as well. The one thing about this episode that irks me, though, is that Paul choose to write about it, instead of just leaving the correction as an event best forgotten.

Mark 3:17
and James, the son of Zebedee, and John the brother of James (to them He gave the name Boanerges, which means, “Sons of Thunder”);

James 1 (NASB)
1 a bond-servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,

Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not His mother called Mary, and His brothers, James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?

"Apostolic succession"
lotsa problems!

Apostolic succession - Wikipedia

...some Protestants deny the need for this type of continuity, and the historical claims involved have been severely questioned by them...
The Bishop of Jerusalem was bestowed on Jesus' relatives for the first generation after the Resurrection. It seems that the Jews just did not get that Christ was adopting people as his brothers and sisters that were not biological kin. I guess it was hard for them to see a spiritual birth, versus being born into being Jewish.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus the Divine Messiah was too busy with His ministry to marry or adopt. The young married couple, Joseph + Mary wanted to be fruitful and multiply, as was the Law and the custom of Jesus' time.

Amazing unfactual guesswork to protect "Mariology".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus the Divine Messiah was too busy with His ministry to marry or adopt.
I should have been more specific that I meant a spiritual adoption.

The young married couple, Joseph + Mary wanted to be fruitful and multiply, as was the Law and the custom of Jesus' time.

Amazing unfactual guesswork to protect "Mariology".
Ron, while that is assumed by many, it is purely supposition. The proof that Joseph and Mary had been fruitful would have been a clear statement that this person was the son or daughter of Joseph and Mary. Even in the scripture that you quoted above:

The Jews are wrong in saying that Jesus was the carpenter's son, since Jesus was not the biological son of Joseph. But they can be forgiven the mistake, since they did not know at the time that he was the Son of God. And like many large families of that time, kinship was more about the people that claimed you than the biological necessity of parenthood. Just look at the Levite marriages where it is said that the brother should marry the widow and raise up a child as the dead brother's son and heir. Polygamous societies have interesting family structures.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

What is "feed my lambs"?

Peter was to feed the flock of Christ with the word of God. St. Peter, like all the apostles, are recognized as the first bishops of the Church, and thus the first pastors of the Church. Thus Peter and all the apostles were to serve the Church through the ministry of Word and Sacrament, which is the pastoral service.

-CryptoLuthearn

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"sheep" is a metaphor for truly saved believing Christ-Followers.

John 10 [ Parable of the Good Shepherd ]
But he who enters by the door is a shepherd of the sheep. To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. ...

Matthew 9:36
Seeing the people, He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd.

Matthew 25:32
All the NATIONS (ETHNOS=SOCIETIES) will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep (BELIEVERS) from the goats;(UN-BELIEVERS)

John 21:16
He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” He *said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He said to him, “Shepherd My sheep.”

Hebrews 13:20
[ Benediction ] Now the God of peace, who brought up from the dead the great Shepherd of the sheep through the blood of the eternal covenant, even Jesus our Lord,

1 Peter 2:25
For you were continually straying like sheep, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Guardian of your souls.

Matthew 18:12
[ Ninety-nine Plus One ] “What do you think? If any man has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go and search for the one that is straying?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mark51

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2014
✟89,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus was directing Peter, as a head of the newly forming christian congregation, to continually spiritually feed or nourish them. To "feed" is likened to other illustrations such as "sheppard my/the flock." We all have different levels of spiritual maturity, endurance, faith and so-forth. Therefore being spiritually cared for is a requirement of those that have been appointed and accepted the leadership (Shepherding) in the Christian arrangement.

These scriptures may help you to get a better sense of John 21:15.-Matthew 24:45; John 4:34; 6:27; 6:55-58; Hebrews 5:11-14.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus was directing Peter, as a head of the newly forming christian congregation, to continually spiritually feed or nourish them. To "feed" is likened to other illustrations such as "sheppard my/the flock." We all have different levels of spiritual maturity, endurance, faith and so-forth. Therefore being spiritually cared for is a requirement of those that have been appointed and accepted the leadership (Shepherding) in the Christian arrangement.

These scriptures may help you to get a better sense of John 21:15.-Matthew 24:45; John 4:34; 6:27; 6:55-58; Hebrews 5:11-14.
And heavy is the cross of those called to shepherd. I read a fact the other day that astounded me. Of the first 50 popes in Rome, only 3 died of natural causes.

Upvote 0