Fear of happiness.

B

boywonder123

i constantly fear that god will take things that make me happy away...and hat he doesnt want me to be hapy...

example im excited about going to university but what if god ruins those chances for me and i dont go?

im just scared that if something good happens god might take it away...

i know this is a strange fear but uno.

any advice?:thumbsup:

MastersPiece

May 29, 2012
Seated in Heavenly Places
✟3,174.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi boywonder,
My advice is that you post this in the Advice forum... LOL (I think I'm funny)..
smileys-flowers-130426.gif

Here's the link to that forum http://www.christianforums.com/f232/

Upvote 0

kimmiemae

follower of Yeshua
Mar 26, 2011
✟9,376.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, this is not strange to us. This is a common fear for many in the body of Christ. Scripture even talks about this in PROVERBS 13:12.

Many fear the future, but WE LIVE in the present. Enjoy the now and continually chose to think of the now. Remember to thank Father for the gifts HE gives to you now.

The one who takes away is named in John 10:10. Who is the thief? Who is it that comes to kill, STEAL, and destroy? None other than satan.

Upvote 0
Jan 15, 2013
Scotland
✟15,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi boywonder,

Kimmiemae's right, it's the devil that takes away your joy and tries to make you fearful of the future. Remember 'the joy of the Lord is your strength', and don't fear uni because I'm sure it will be an exciting time of growth and discovery for you, as well as making lots of new friends who will support you! I'm in 4th year uni and can can testify that it has been for me. When you get there, take your time to try and find a good church family, and enjoy yourself.

So my advice is: ignore the devil, be happy, and remember that God has the best of plans for you: "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you." (Jeremiah 29) God bless :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Very often we base our estimates on what we've seen in the past. If you had teachers, siblings or parents that denied you things, then you would naturally be cautious of things not working out this time.

BUT we have to get past that. If you kept that mindset over a number of years, then it would drag you down, down, further. Find out what it will take to gain confidence and faith.

Set yourself to reading a psalm each day -- once in the morning, but also bring it with you and glance at it during the day. These are great reminders that God really does love you. Think about David -- he was told he could advance, and then was chased out into the desert with the king after his hide. Eventually David did become king, but he had to persist and cling to the dream.

Upvote 0
Jan 15, 2013
Scotland
✟15,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Very often we base our estimates on what we've seen in the past. If you had teachers, siblings or parents that denied you things, then you would naturally be cautious of things not working out this time.

BUT we have to get past that. If you kept that mindset over a number of years, then it would drag you down, down, further. Find out what it will take to gain confidence and faith.

I can relate to that, actually... all through my school years and and into uni I had a fear, not of happiness being taken away, but of other people. I used to be paranoid of what people thought of me, mainly because I was bullied at school. Through prayer and support of my church family - and learning that not everyone was going to bite me, and actually some people were really genuinely nice - I overcame that fear and now am not afraid of what people think, and am confident with myself because I know that what's important is not how people see me but how God sees me, and that's a whole different story. I've learnt how to say 'no' to that fear whenever it rears it's ugly head, and stand on the promises of God in his word.

So perhaps pick out the bible verses relating to overcoming fears and incorporate them into your prayers. Read encouraging verses to yourself in the morning. If you have church friends ask them to support you in prayer as you make this transition to the next stage of your life :)

Upvote 0

Clay Vessel

Mar 11, 2013
NW USA
✟15,507.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Parsley is right. I wonder if your earthly father "ruined" your happiness, kept you from doing things you wanted to do, or made you unhappy. You may view God in the same light as you do your earthly father. God isn't your Dad. God wants you to have an abundant, wonderful life, filled with the joy that only He can give. You can trust Him!

Upvote 0

Glorify

Jan 22, 2013
Ohio
✟8,378.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Boy wonder, I too used to worry about losing things I liked. I grew up poor...so after college I started working and had money to buy nice things....but I was afraid that I might like them and then something would come and take them from me! What I've realized is....at times in my life....I was much happier with less! But now if things go away...it doesn't matter...all that matters is our relationship with Jesus and our brothers and sisters! It's easy to say.....but it's true.

Upvote 0

humblewatchman

Two greatest commandements are to love.
Nov 13, 2011
West Coast...USA
✟18,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We shudder inside when we read the book of Job. Yes, He can do anything He wills. But, remember that He not only restored Jobs life and possessions, but He increased it even more. God will not take away anything good from your life unless it is just for a time, and after that time He will restore and increase. That you can count on. Just look at the confirmation and encouragement you have been given here. The Holy Spirit is speaking these things to you through these good people.

Proverbs 16:9 says "The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps." Go ahead make your plans and move forward in confidence. God will guide you as you go and He knows what the future is, what your needs will be. Try to always remember that you are not insignificant to Him. He loves you so much.....and you can fully trust that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
God is a good God. He doesn't smite people and destroy people anymore, that was old covenant. Job was even before the old covenant was in place. We have a new covenant through the blood of Jesus, and God is not mad or judging us anymore. 1 Corinthians 13 describes love, and God is love. So if God tells us to love others and be kind to them, wouldn't God be that way towards us? God would never ruin your chances of getting into college. God is kind. It's either us that mess up or the devil thats messing with us.

Upvote 0
God is a good God. He doesn't smite people and destroy people anymore, that was old covenant. We have a new covenant through the blood of Jesus, and God is not mad or judging us anymore. 1 Corinthians 13 describes love, and God is love. So if God tells us to love others and be kind to them, wouldn't God be that way towards us? God would never ruin your chances of getting into college. God is kind. It's us that mess up or the devil that tries messing with us.

Upvote 0