FDA speaks out against marijuana legalization.

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I know for a fact that drug use is destructive.Pot is just the beginning of that for most.

Trust me I know too, but what you stated is false. Pot is not the "gateway" drug, Tobacco is. Most of those who use cannibas but not tobacco never go on to harder drugs, but the reverse is not true. Tobacco (nicotine) is the primary drug that is correlated with the progressive use of harder drugs.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
faith guardian said:
Ah. Well, Marijuana should not be legalized at all. No matter what potheads say, legalist activists say, or Barney on speed might say I will not change my mind on that. Cannabis and hash is not healthy, least of all in a smoked variant, because it contains most of the bad stuff tobacco contains, and is much more damaging to airways, lungs and brain. Well, not so much brain, but it seriously inhibits short term memory and coordination. One joint is as bad as a small pack of cigarettes in terms of airways damage, one joint contains five to ten times as much tar as a cigarette, and furthermore sideffects can be paranoia, apathy, depression, and even schizophrenia. The list is a lot longer of course, but well... Whoever wants to fight for the legalization of this can take their joints and stuff them up a certain place. Yes, it is true that there are no documented cases of THC related deaths, but don't forget that pot when smoked gives off the same physiological damages as cigarettes do. If you die from any normal smoking related death, the culprit may just as well be marijuana or hashis as the symptoms are the same. They affect your body (in terms of cancer and such) the same way. Besides, most who smoke cannabis also smoke tobacco, so the deaths are attributed to tobacco - and not cannabis.

If you want to legalize it as a medication, be my guest. I want that too. As pills mind you. If you want to legalize it as a recreational drug.... No way am I going to support that. It will only harm our society to have more drug users around. Even users of light drugs such as cannabis.

As for the FDA.... Well, they do seem to.... Well, do an extremely bad job at what they are supposed to do. I mean, the food people legally sells in the USA would get you in trouble if you sold it for pets or livestock here in Norway. The way drugs are priced and handled in the USA is also highly beneficial for the producers, and extremely unfortunate for the people who must use them.
That being said, there is nothing which speaks for legalization of cannabis except a few poorly thought through claims that it will end cannabis related crimes, well duh. If you legalized murder you would have no murderers in jail. It does not eliminate any problems though, it only serves to increase them. Amphetamine is legal for medicinal use, and so should THC be. But as recreational drugs both should be outlawed.

It seems your argument against legalizing pot, is that it is as bad as something else, which is actually legal.

I'm not sure that makes any sense.

Upvote 0

Thirst_For_Knowledge

I Am A New Title
Jan 20, 2005
Michigan
Visit site
✟8,524.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Vylo said:
Trust me I know too, but what you stated is false. Pot is not the "gateway" drug, Tobacco is. Most of those who use cannibas but not tobacco never go on to harder drugs, but the reverse is not true. Tobacco (nicotine) is the primary drug that is correlated with the progressive use of harder drugs.

There is no gateway drug.

It's sort of like this: most hard drug users went to high school, so high school is a gateway to hard drugs.

See the problem?

Upvote 0

Harlan Norris

Jun 20, 2005
Aurora Co
✟10,455.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
JustJack! said:
The laws regarding drug use have ruined more lives and created more crime than the effects of any drug ever could.

Sure, I can take an "FDA approved" drug that will just make my heart blow up, or if I'm lucky, I'll just get a headache, diarrhea, overactive bladder, then some constipation, or, I could smoke a joint, (or if your finiky about hurting your lungs, vapourize it, drink it or eat it), and get the medicinal effects I'm looking for and get happy too.

It's all use we want at the very least, decriminalized.

There's no good reason for locking someone up and hassling over some pot, and it's just downright wrong to do to someone using it as a medicine.
so Jack, your 19.Are you a dope smoker?You know it's possible to live without drugs.I mean it can be done.When I was 19 I'd been smoking dope for about 3 years.About 5 years ago I smoked my last.Foolish waste of time at best.But also every time I bought a bag,I was helping to suport a business that has the destruction of human life as one of it's main objectives.Saying that crime is the result of pot being illegal would make sense, if pot was a requirement for life.It just isn't.I know what pot is and is not,I've used it for many years.For most drug addicts,pot was their first high.You may say, well, I'm no drug addict.If one smokes dope,most of their friends and aquaintances do also.It's no fun being around a straight person when your high,especially when they might turn you in.Many of ones activities will require one to get high either befor or during or after to be pleasureable.Dope places a wall between you and those that may not agree with your drug use.Those people will quite likely be your parents,teachers, boss at work,ect. In short everyone that really matters.Pot will not become legal,and I'll tell you why.There's big money in it if it stays illegal,for both the distributors and intradiction.It's a jackpot for both.This new administration is certainly not considering making pot legal.I think you can look forward to even stiffer penalties for users,and serious prison time for dealers.If one is sitting in prison because they smoke dope,that one can't help but consider that dope to be the cause of it.You want to know if your an addict? Quit. Quit for a month.Smoke no dope nor do any other for 30 days.You will see how it has changed your life.That is if you can.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
While I disagree with the FDA on this, I only agree with
legalizing for comforting the cancer treatment and end of life issues.

It is the perfect drug for chemo and radiation side effects.
But for recreation it should no be legalized.

It will take alot more preasure for the FDA to change its position.

Upvote 0

LsforLove

Apr 21, 2006
✟338.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
KalEl76 said:
In all honesty, marijuana should be legalized. Have you ever heard of an angry pothead?;) Seriously, this is one of those issues where my conservatism takes a backseat. Marijuana is allot more safe than what they produce from the tobacco industry.

Yeah when is the last time a high person got in a bar fight over a pool game. They generally are more concerned with the how round the balls are.

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

It's sort of like this: most hard drug users went to high school, so high school is a gateway to hard drugs.

See the problem?

It's more complex then just that. There are studies to demonstrate pretty startling connections between tobacco and hard drug use. They do not however, connect pot in a similar fashion, not by a long shot.

Upvote 0

one love

Dec 17, 2003
clear lake tx
Visit site
✟1,475.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Republican
thirstforknowledge said:

See the problem?

Ok, I see what you mean. The US governemnt needs to give mee a $16 billion per year grant to create a network of supercomputers which will run a software, not yet created but that which will be, that identifies not the gateway, but the road to the gate. Actually, I think it'd be better if we went one step ahead and created the software to find the end of the road in order to identify its source. This way we can prevent anyone from starting on the road. But if its not could enough, I will devote all of my time to identifying the source itself and eliminate it, of course this will cost an extra $1.2 billion per year, the elimination of a few medicare plans and student loan programs and the hiring of about 300 new C student graduates to fill the various new managemtn positions.
Though if identifying the source is not good enoguh, I will promise to do extensive research into identifying the unknown source of the source. And if this does not exist, will run a propoganda campaign consisting of tv ads, magazine ads, etc. This of course will cost $2 billion per year extra due to the various new management positions which must be filled and will also undoubtedly terminate the new education and farm subsidies bill.

So if there aren't any objections, I'll get right away to work, after I am garunteed 2 months of vaction, an office secretary, my own personal cabnet, a squad of SUVs for transportation as well as a Gulf Stream for foreign affairs, my own vice squad, counterintelligence squad, mod squad, ranger squad, counterterrorism sqaud, with a severence and spending package just a little over $3 million per year....with an annual garunteed raise of that package at 7%....adjusted for inflation.

No objections? Thank you...I am off to see the president...which if I get the job will undoubtedly be paid for, not from my spending package, but from the emergency appropriations spending box valued at $50 million annually...with annual increase of, you guessed, 11% percent....adjusted for inflation.

Upvote 0

LsforLove

Apr 21, 2006
✟338.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Vylo said:

According to DoJ stats
95% of hard drug users started with Pot
But—
Only 5% of those people that smoke pot move on to other drugs

Thus yes using pot can lead to other drugs however that 5% figure in the latter stat is similar to saying.

5% of alcoholics will use hard drugs.
Or
5% of Honda civic drives will use hard drugs.

You can apply it to almost any significant behavior patter and it will be between 0-10%

Conclusion pot does not lead to other drugs it leads to carpentry and glass work, both lost art froms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LsforLove

Apr 21, 2006
✟338.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
one love said:
According to...the DoJ? What do they know? And what does this prove anyway?

Well when you lock a whole bunch of people up even the most inefficient government bureaucracy has time to walk around and ask a few questions of inmates with idol time on there hands

Upvote 0